RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 03:37 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?

Okay, I think I may have screwed up majorly. I've never bothered with upscale or luxury lines.. not into the leather and fine experience, etc. So with that said, I guess I was pretty naive as to the appeal of such vehicles.

I was looking for something practical with good fuel economy that was going to be spacious enough for an extra tall bf and my dogs. I'm a new attorney... so while I have prospects for the future I suppose, the budget is pretty tight now.

I stopped to check out a couple minivans (can't get much more practical) at a used lot and saw a couple in the 70-100k range. Parked next to the Town and Country was this eye catching vehicle.. you guessed it - the subject of this thread.

Her condition is immaculate and I can even afford it. I know Toyotas have incredible longevity and reliability and with the condition this vehicle is in, age and mileage - I know that the vast majority of those miles MUST be highway. Still... 225K? Have I lost my mind? Should I get a 2007 Chrysler Town and Country with only 70k miles instead? My gut suggests that the odds are about equal that either of those vehicles will be solid for another 100k or am I being wishful because I got completely seduced by the Lexus?

I think I was better off not knowing. I can't even put my finger on it! It just felt so good... sitting in the mini-vans was comfortable enough (I've had minivans and SUVs before so nothing about either feeling inherently exotic is at fault) but by comparison..

Can someone talk me off the ledge? I'm not even sure the 6'5" BF will fit in the vehicle but if he does I'm afraid I might buy it...would that be as stupid as it sounds? Is expecting a lifespan of over 300k on a relatively unknown vehicle insane?
Old 01-08-11, 04:07 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my RX330 but its has much fewer miles on it. I'm 6'4 about 300lbs and have no trouble fitting into the vehicle. My brother is bigger and fits into it as well.

As for the mileage, get the VIN attend a Lexus dealer and determine the service history. If the service history is impeccable I think you will be very happy.
I hope this helps
Old 01-08-11, 04:38 PM
VAttorney
Rookie

Thanks, Diverchris. I suppose the Lexus dealer is the one who can tell me that it's service history is impeccable? I rather doubt I could decipher it.

Also, should I expect herculean efforts to sell me something they have? I can't say I mind the idea of a CPO but rather doubt I could afford a comparable CPO.

By the by, when I went to a few sites to check out value I even went to some that helped appraise a 'trade in' (which should be rather low to allow the dealer room to move the vehicle at wholesale or retail). Their starting price was right in the middle of the range offered as a trade-in with that mileage. While it's not on a Lexus lot it is in the lot of a dealer very well known in the area who has been in business over 30 years... so that gives me some hope...
Old 01-08-11, 07:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'd get the RX330, it's a Toyota after-all meaning years and years of trouble-free service.

I spend my time in the chrysler mini-van forum as well, and I'll tell you one thing they are trouble, stay far away... The transmissions are notorious for failure, brakes are terrible and are undersized (meaning you'll be replacing the pads every 15k, and you'll have no stopping power) , ridiculous oil consumption, and just random failures...
The transmissions have been an issue on Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth Mini-Vans for years now, and they still haven't gotten it right, there's already people that have had there transmission's replaced on there 2010 Town and Country's with under 10,000 miles....

Last edited by hypervish; 01-08-11 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 08:19 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VAttorney
Thanks, Diverchris. I suppose the Lexus dealer is the one who can tell me that it's service history is impeccable? I rather doubt I could decipher it.

If you have the VIN you can go to Lexus.com and sign up in the driver section and the entire service history (that was done at Lexus) is a click away.
Old 01-09-11, 06:15 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ride and comfort level of the RX is priceless. I see why people drive the RX's everywhere I go. I fell for it the first time I laid eyes on it, too. I am ashamed to say it was love at first sight. lol
Old 01-09-11, 06:33 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

Default You people love your Lexus'!

Thanks for all the input... still, everyone thinks it's okay to put my faith in one with 225K miles already? Again, presuming the service history is sound. I wonder, will it be likely that the Lexus service history would have just stopped when the warranty ran out? I see lots of advice here about people going to other shops once the warranty runs out even if they continue to use the authentic parts.

Alternatively, I guess I could TRY to hold my breath for a few months in the hopes that by then I could afford one with lower miles that might even be a CPO?

I guess I'm asking, how much could I realistically expect from this vehicle even if the service history were impeccable? I realize that there must be something to be said for them. I did an estimate for one as a trade-in - got an appraisal of $9900 - 12,900 depending on condition. Not many cars could claim that kind of trade in with 150K miles much less over 200K!

And this one is in unbelievable condition considering the miles at least as the interior is considered. I suspect they just levitated in the vehicle as the seats don't even have any wear. I can get it right at 10K... I know, I already sound like I am talking myself into it, don't I? Or rather, I am amazed that I am falling for a gas powered vehicle with over 200K miles...

Julie
Old 01-09-11, 08:32 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Appearance can be deceiving, it's the things you don't see that can empty your wallet. You are really rolling the dice on a vehicle with that many miles. I would recommend you put your "lexus love" on hold and save for a CPO. That warranty will give you peace of mind.
Old 01-09-11, 08:57 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

You have to consider an immense amount of work will have been done to the car over these miles. There's an axiom about the RX300; don't buy one with 90K, get one with 120K because all the stuff that breaks at around 100K will have already been done.

Service records are vitally important on a car with those miles, especially the transmission. If it's on the original transmission, forget it, replacing that would eat up your savings and then you'd have a ton of money in a 220K car. I wouldn't try to get any type of severe duty out of it either, no towing etc.

I know your in love and I understand that, you're on a car site, we're all suckers. If you shop judiciously (and you just went to school for that ) you can find a well maintained 100k car for just a few thousand more and have the realistic prospect of having a car that will last you another five years.

Let us know what you end up doing!
Old 01-09-11, 09:25 AM
VAttorney
Rookie

Just a few thousand more for a CPO? I don't disagree that has advantages and I mentioned it as the 'wiser' course perhaps but it would be significantly more than a few thousand. In fact, I can't find a CPO for less than 25K.

But yea, I think I am being talked 'off the ledge'. I am inclined to tough it through the rest of the winter - using the vehicles I have and perhaps borrowing a friend's 4WD when it looks like the weather might not be cooperative and then reassessing the question later this year. By that time, my income should be moving in a direction that a $500-600+ car payment might not be so scary.

Last edited by VAttorney; 01-09-11 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-09-11, 10:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

And don't forget this is prime AWD season. Demand is high. In a few months prices are bound to drop. I'm sure you can find an RX with fewer miles that isn't too much more. Keep checking and good luck.
Old 01-09-11, 10:20 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

No, not a CPO, probably a private party or small independent dealer car with sterling records. The dream deal will not be at the dealer. You want the most car for the least amount of money and that takes effort.

Here's some available in my area for a "few thousand more".

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/2137723741.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/2085374689.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/2080704126.html

I'm sure your area has similar cars. I realize the difference between 10K and 16k is large but there is a considerable mileage difference and it's still 9k less than a CPO.

Pretty aren't they? :P
Old 01-09-11, 10:55 AM
Nick318
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, I would search on craiglist. Use the mobile phone craiglist pro app to add all the surrounding cities where you live (All smartphones with wifi capability can download this app). I just looked up an RX in Texas and is asking for 12K/OBO. I see at least 30 dif RX 330 '04'-'06 around 11K-14K range at 100K miles while searching it on iphone.
You can negotiate with these people for 10-11K range depending on vehicle mileage because some would consider with cash payment. You can inquire for the car history as some honest sellers would tell you the overall conditions of the car and show you maintenance records/receipts. If accept at the right price, you can ask them to meet at neutral sites: first, a carshop where a mechanic can assess it for you for a small fee (ask the mechanic to check on the air suspension, transmission,engine noise, timing belts, and the body) and then meet at a bank where they do notary so you and the person can finalize on the title transfer, payment, and hand over of car key.
IMO The Lexus RX can definitely last for more than 300k+ miles if it is well-maintained because it is a luxury car made by Toyota afterall. When you get it serviced, I do recommend to bring it to a Toyota dealer as they repair for 1/2 of the cost of a Lexus dealer.
Old 01-09-11, 12:26 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainbird
Appearance can be deceiving, it's the things you don't see that can empty your wallet. You are really rolling the dice on a vehicle with that many miles. I would recommend you put your "lexus love" on hold and save for a CPO. That warranty will give you peace of mind.
Rodger this!
Old 01-09-11, 02:49 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Fall in love with a power mileage RX. Better for you. Unless it is an absolute steal.

Quick Reply: 2004 RX 330 - 220k miles - and I'm in love?