RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is a Front Differential Leak a Drive tran/ engine issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 09:48 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you located in Southern California?
Old 09-29-10, 12:08 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adam8065
Are you located in Southern California?
Yes I am. Let me know if you have any info.

Update as of today: I got to a highly recommended Certified Toyota mechanic to look it over this morning for a few hrs. His private estimate including parts (if I cant get the parts discounted) will be about $1,088. He's got access to a lift and at least talks the talk. I have been studying the Shop Service manual and know a bit more now

I got estimates from other dealerships at $2,300 to $3,200 depending on the area. I am going to pull some strings and see if I can get the parts and save about $100.

It's def. a "Drop the trans" internal leak.

Last edited by infinirx; 09-29-10 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-04-10, 02:57 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Well I am dropping the car off Wednesday. Wish me luck please So far I am thinking the big maker that there was no trans crack or leak and it's actually the Trans axle. Whew!
Old 10-05-10, 08:28 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quite an ordeal you've been through. Sounds like you are on the right track to get it fixed now. I cringe whenever I go to a dealership for any reason, especially in a bad economy they try to royally screw you over.
Old 10-05-10, 08:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
Well I am dropping the car off Wednesday. Wish me luck please So far I am thinking the big maker that there was no trans crack or leak and it's actually the Trans axle. Whew!
Good Luck!!
Old 10-05-10, 12:40 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
Good Luck!!

Old 10-05-10, 09:41 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Yes I am. Let me know if you have any info.

Update as of today: I got to a highly recommended Certified Toyota mechanic to look it over this morning for a few hrs. His private estimate including parts (if I cant get the parts discounted) will be about $1,088. He's got access to a lift and at least talks the talk. I have been studying the Shop Service manual and know a bit more now

I got estimates from other dealerships at $2,300 to $3,200 depending on the area. I am going to pull some strings and see if I can get the parts and save about $100.

It's def. a "Drop the trans" internal leak.
wow, seems like a great deal! Good luck
Old 10-06-10, 01:59 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Well we shall see. I just got back form dropping the RX off. He is a certified Toyota mechanic. His Mom has a highlander and he's also done allot of performance tuning and such. Anyways I can only hope my associate that referred him is correct.

I mean all I can so his hope at this point. If all is well I have other work for him. He needs it.
Old 10-07-10, 10:04 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

When are you getting the car back?
Old 10-07-10, 02:59 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Well we shall see. I just got back form dropping the RX off. He is a certified Toyota mechanic. His Mom has a highlander and he's also done allot of performance tuning and such. Anyways I can only hope my associate that referred him is correct.

I mean all I can so his hope at this point. If all is well I have other work for him. He needs it.
can you give me his info...if he gives good prices I would definitely be interested in a certified Toyota mechanic!
Old 10-07-10, 03:10 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mandyfig
When are you getting the car back?
Was supposed to be today but he called and said they sent the wrong seal. So in the afternoon Friday I should be picking it up. Going to have hime give me a good walk through of what work he did and show me.
Old 10-07-10, 03:13 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by adam8065
can you give me his info...if he gives good prices I would definitely be interested in a certified Toyota mechanic!
I will be more than happy to when I am confident his work is good .
Old 10-07-10, 04:55 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

I will be more than happy to when I am confident his work is good .
sounds good to me
Old 10-09-10, 10:23 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Feels so great to be driving the RX again. I must say 4 days around Mom, having her be a back seat driver and in my old car, that I gave her when I got the RX, really took it's toll.

Ok enough of the past This guy seems legit. Car is running even more smoothly than before, but that could just be my imagination. I know the battery was disconnected over 30min so I get the pleasure of training my car from the way the prev. owner drove it.

He actually went ahead and replaced all the seals. Two pieces had pretty much disintegrated I think he said. Showed me the seal that was leaking and where it was leaking from. I was happy to see I did not have to ask many questions. He already went into enough detail for my satisfaction. He also confirmed what the dealer already said. That some one had done the job before but ghetto style. That the person prob. did the re-seal without taking off the trans. cause there is a way to slip the seal in if you try hard enough lol. Also the silicone used was not the type used by toyota. He had not seen that before.

He also did an alignment for me since he was renting the lift and knew I had after market springs. Washed the car

So I am going to drive it for a week or two and will be able to tell if the leak has been fixed or at least put to rest for a while. The last guys did it and in two weeks I knew it was leaking again.

After that Adam you got a new mechanic I should be back with this guy anyway since he found a leaking radiator that needs replacing.
Old 10-10-10, 11:25 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your Radiator is leaking there was a TSB on that and I thought the TSB was good for 90k or so got a paper on it for my 2005 RX

Quick Reply: Is a Front Differential Leak a Drive tran/ engine issue?