RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Is a Front Differential Leak a Drive tran/ engine issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-10, 03:08 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is a Front Differential Leak a Drive tran/ engine issue?

First it's a 2005 RX330 AWD. 40 point check form the Lexus dealer told me I have a leak in my Front differential and it needs to be re-sealed. This means the engine needs to be lifted. Expensive. Also he said I needed my Timing belt changed since it's 95K.

First off I have NO idea what a front differential is and how do I know if the timing belt was changed already and they aren't just saying it needs it?

I am planing to take it back to the lot I bought it from Sunday since it's my only day off and they are open. But I do not want to walk in there with my Lexus report and have them say "it's not covered on our 30 day/ 1000 mile 50%/50% warranty". I want to be informed so I have power with me when I go. You know those used car dealers.....

Any help would be great. I love the car. Do not want to lose it or have expensive repairs so soon that I can't have these guys pay for a part of it.

Last edited by infinirx; 06-12-10 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-11-10, 06:19 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

What year was your RX?
Old 06-11-10, 06:27 AM
mandyfig

Unfortunately there is no way to tell if the Timing Belt has been replaced. And it needs replacing at the 95K mark.

The leak on the differential needs to be done. If this was not shown to you and you did not buy the car "as is" then you have a leg to stand on to get the leak done at no charge.

Otherwise, be ready to return the car and get your money back and amazing things can happen. Good luck.
Old 06-11-10, 06:48 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by infinirx
40 point check form the Lexus dealer told me I have a leak in my Front differential and it needs to be re-sealed. This means the engine needs to be lifted. Expensive. Also he said I needed my Timing belt changed since it's 95K.

First off I have NO idea what a front differential is and how do I know if the timing belt was changed already and they aren't just saying it needs it?

I am planing to take it back to the lot I bought it from Sunday since it's my only day off and they are open. But I do not want to walk in there with my Lexus report and have them say "it's not covered on our 30 day/ 1000 mile 50%/50% warranty". I want to be informed so I have power with me when I go. You know those used car dealers.....

Any help would be great. I love the car. Do not want to lose it or have expensive repairs so soon that I can't have these guys pay for a part of it.
Unfortunately, I've seen the term front differential and transfer case interchanged.

For me and what most I've seen, front differential is part of the transmission unit, where the axle goes through the transmission case itself that's at the point of the front differential. The transfer case has a long rod/shaft that goes to the rear differential (that's if you have AWD).

The front differential in my example would have transmission fluid in it.

The transfer case (and yes that can leak, it leaked in my RX300) has gear oil, usually 75W90.

Having a leaking transfer case is one thing (I've found those leaks to be slow and can add the oil until I get around to dealing with the issue). However, a leaking front differential is more serious since the front differential is part of the tranny and thus a leaking tranny can of course lead to disaster at some point if unchecked.

Find out which fluid the front differential holds (again, because I here the terms used interchangeably) and that will reveal your answer.

On the timing belt, yeah 90K is the time for that, but timing belts can go longer. The timing belt is a service item that if this vehicle was serviced at Lexus, it should show up in their computer. A competent mechanic could take off the timing case and examine the belt itself to see if it had been done, but keep in mind I've heard of people dumping these vehicles for sale around the 90K mark without having it done.
Old 06-11-10, 09:08 AM
mandyfig

Hence when buying a car, mileage @ and close to 100K, the 1st thing is to ask for evidence that the timing belt has been changed and if not, it is an $800 issue. Whether they knock off the price or they get it done before purchase, very important.

At the end of the day, it is all about the money.
Old 06-11-10, 10:13 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

its not foolproof or 100 percent, but the timing belt does come with a sticker saying when its been changed
Old 06-12-10, 12:59 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, happy to see responses with such detail. Thanks. It's a 2005 RX330 AWD. I was given a 50/50 30 day or 1000 mile warranty. Neither have happened but this weekend is when I need to bring it back.

Ok so I can get the timing belt done if needed but the differential I need them to take some responsibility for. From the warranty the place provided I should get them to pay for half the cost. I am fine with this as I want to keep the car and will get an easy care extended warranty for the trans/engine after this.

With the timing belt maybe I will get lucky and be able to read that stamp but I need to be prepared it seems for some major work here.
Old 06-13-10, 06:42 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't put off the timing belt, catastrophic damage can occur if this breaks. You can't by a car with this many miles and not expect to incur maintenance expenses. Hopefully you got a good enough deal to allow for spending a bit to do so.

You really need to get service records to see if the transmission fluid has been changed the differentials and T-case as well as all oil services. Did you get a Carfax as well to see if it was wrecked? The Carfax can I believe also show you where the vehicle was serviced so that you can contact them to update your service history so you can tell what needs done.
Old 06-14-10, 01:01 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Todd yeah I am aware of the timing belt disaster I m not completely naive, just trying to find out all I can so I have a leg to walk on. Getting it done in the next week. I payed the dealer a visit and showed him the 40point check and said I wanted to get the front differential fixed. he's supposed to call me today after he talks to his boss (looks for ways to get out of it).

If by chance they are willing honor the 50/50 30 day warranty and reseal the front differential I will have them also do the timing belt and change all the fluids etc. etc. If they play games I will get the timing belt done some where else and give them a fight on the differential.

The issue is on the paper it says it's "recommended" to reseal the diff. lol!

Yes I got the carfax before I bought the car. Also the Lexus dealer I went to for the 40point check was where the car was originally purchased. However they do not have allot of records from the second owner. I will call and talk to the man that was in charge on my car that day and see what info I can get from him and get it printed as well.
Old 06-14-10, 08:45 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Got a call from them today. They are gonna have there mechanic look at it and also check to see if the timing belt got changed already or not. Lets see what happens.

I also forgot to call the Lexus dealer. I will do that in the morning. I still did not get any real answer about the front differential leak? Is this a drive tran/ engine problem that should be covered bu a usual 30 day drive tran/ engine warranty? If anyone knows please help.

Last edited by infinirx; 06-14-10 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 11:36 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

If the transmission will be separated from the engine, replace the main seal.

Salim
Old 06-15-10, 08:46 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by infinirx
Thanks Todd yeah I am aware of the timing belt disaster I m not completely naive, just trying to find out all I can so I have a leg to walk on. Getting it done in the next week. I payed the dealer a visit and showed him the 40point check and said I wanted to get the front differential fixed. he's supposed to call me today after he talks to his boss (looks for ways to get out of it).

If by chance they are willing honor the 50/50 30 day warranty and reseal the front differential I will have them also do the timing belt and change all the fluids etc. etc. If they play games I will get the timing belt done some where else and give them a fight on the differential.

The issue is on the paper it says it's "recommended" to reseal the diff. lol!

Yes I got the carfax before I bought the car. Also the Lexus dealer I went to for the 40point check was where the car was originally purchased. However they do not have allot of records from the second owner. I will call and talk to the man that was in charge on my car that day and see what info I can get from him and get it printed as well.
Suggest that you register on the Lexus Owners website, if you have not, This will show you some service history of your car.
Old 06-15-10, 09:49 AM
tomit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to pay to repair the differential leak, I would get a second opinion. Heck, maybe it was overfilled (unless it shares the transmission fluid). Some leaks are so slow, topping off at every oil change is the most cost effective strategy.

Tom
Old 06-15-10, 05:25 PM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Mandyfig I joined that site already. Where can I find this info? Tomit I am going to do this as well.

PS some of the bolts are cross-threaded or stripped so I am going to change all the bad ones out in the morning Wednesday with a friend. Heh I am just going to do an overhaul check on the car and do a major service on it just to be sure there is not anything I am missing.
Old 06-17-10, 10:20 AM
infinirx
Lexus Test Driver

Checking out the car myself revealed an extremely clean trans and engine. I am no expert and neither is my buddy (however he kind of is a dam car wizard). Only thing we saw was water from the AC. Well I guess I should take it to a toyota dealer and have them do a check on the car as a second opinion. Have them check to see if the timing belt actually was changed or not and see if they notice a seal leak.

I am getting very annoyed at being avoided by the dealer though. I mean he did a follow up call but then nothing. Grrr I hate pulling teeth.

Quick Reply: Is a Front Differential Leak a Drive tran/ engine issue?