RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Gurgle

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 08:38 AM
draco
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Gurgle

That's the best way I can describe it. It's there every now and then, and only occurs once every blue moon or so.

Just behind the speedo / rev / gear selector binnacles (that's where it sounds like it's coming from), there seems to be something that is making almost a gurgling noise. Another way I could describe it, is you have a water pipe and too much water trying to go through it. Some air gets trapped and you get like a "gurgley" noise. It's also very quiet and barely registers. It's easier to hear if the car is off and just listening to it.

It would seem to be something to do with the aircon, as when I turn it off and listen it will eventually go away after 10-15 seconds or so. However it doesn't always do it, it's just very random. I have tested it once with the air con off and turning the car to on (not starting it) and it does it for a few seconds and then stops. No it's not a mechanical whirring sound from say the ABS pressurising itself.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-23-10, 10:27 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,104 Likes on 993 Posts

If it is water (coolant) then with the radiator COLD (important) open and check coolant level. If low, use distilled water. If way too low (I doubt it) you may like to get the right coolant. I suggest that you buy it from Toyota/Lexus.

Salim
Old 04-23-10, 04:52 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by draco
That's the best way I can describe it. It's there every now and then, and only occurs once every blue moon or so.

Just behind the speedo / rev / gear selector binnacles (that's where it sounds like it's coming from), there seems to be something that is making almost a gurgling noise. Another way I could describe it, is you have a water pipe and too much water trying to go through it. Some air gets trapped and you get like a "gurgley" noise. It's also very quiet and barely registers. It's easier to hear if the car is off and just listening to it.

It would seem to be something to do with the aircon, as when I turn it off and listen it will eventually go away after 10-15 seconds or so. However it doesn't always do it, it's just very random. I have tested it once with the air con off and turning the car to on (not starting it) and it does it for a few seconds and then stops. No it's not a mechanical whirring sound from say the ABS pressurising itself.

Any thoughts?
You sir, have an "air pocket" in the cooling system.
Meaning some air is trapped inside. Check your coolant reservoir.
If this is empty, it's possible it sucked air though there.

Did you had your coolant changed recently?
Old 04-23-10, 06:39 PM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it is behind the speedo, it is defintely not a coolant issue, all of that is dealt with behind the glovebox.

not only that, but if you have to add coolant you are losing some. so more importantly, where would it be going,

but since that is not your problem, dont bother checking the coolant,

it may seem daunting, but it really isnt that hard to remove the gauge cluster to have a look behind there.

i wouldnt worry about it till you can make the noise happen on command, then you can get a tech to have a look.
Old 04-23-10, 07:44 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
if it is behind the speedo, it is defintely not a coolant issue, all of that is dealt with behind the glovebox.

not only that, but if you have to add coolant you are losing some. so more importantly, where would it be going,

but since that is not your problem, dont bother checking the coolant,
I'd check check the cooling sytem first before taking out gauge clusters an such.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=230976

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...ing-noise.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classi...ing-noise.html

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...e-behind-dash/
Old 04-25-10, 11:57 AM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

As others have said it's a cooling system problem and the links provided by Nad1370 all point to the cooling system as well. Problem sounds in a vehicle are difficult to locate. A sound in the dash cluster may originate at a different location. Get the cooling system flushed and serviced, I bet that takes care of the "gurgle".
Old 04-26-10, 06:42 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by draco

Any thoughts?

Still under warranty? If so, take it in.
Old 04-26-10, 07:46 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,104 Likes on 993 Posts

Good advice mandyfig!

But for all rattles behind the dash, I would think twice before dropping of the vehicle or even trying DIY. The problem is that you are doing exploratory surgery. You may be lucky to find the culprit, but most likely you will pad various probably sources of rattle. In the end, you may create a source of rattle as you put it back.

My personal view is, the rattle has to drive me to a point that I would seek a remedy.

It is still good to talk to the service rep to see if Lexus has identified a common/typical source based on all the complaints. [I understand that enough people have to bring their vehicles in, for them to get to this point ... I dont want to pony up mine.]

Salim