RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brake Pressure WTH HAPPENED

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 10:21 PM
cdave211
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pressure WTH HAPPENED

My dad and i were pulling into the garage when my dad was applying the brake-he was about to hit the side wall/outline of the garage. the brake did not deploy with the force givin and hit the wall/outline preety hard(made a loud booooooooom). When we got out to checkout the car, there was just some brown paint on the front left-hand side of the bumper and about 1/4th of the foglight has some paint on it. We were able to buff most of it out but some still remains. Has any1 had this problem. We took the car in to Vista Lexus and they said some part was a little loose and they tightened it. I DK WTH HAPPENED FIRST GAS PEDALS NO BRAKE PEDALS. WHAT IS TOYOTA OUT TO KILL US?
Old 03-27-10, 11:59 PM
tommewin
Rookie

What part was loose?
Old 03-28-10, 09:27 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

The driver can shed some more light on it. From the post it seems, the stopping power was less than expected. That can be due to leak in hydraulics or lack of assist ... (in line with the fix carried out).

Warning ... stepping up on the soap box.

So what should owners do?

We should take the lesson from the military and Boeing, which instituted a pre-flight check for airplanes.

1. Regular maintenance.
2. Weekly visual checks. Fluids, belts, hoses, leaks and air pressure, abnormal wear etc. [requires the driver to know the good state of things ... need to be familiar with the vehicle].
3. Checking good operation of all warning lights and not just the CEL [bulbs that light up when you turn the key to ON/run.
4. Check the operation of all the controls. Gas pedal in park. Brakes (hold the pedal down with full force) when moving from Park to reverse and check again when you go from reverse to N.
5. Look for leaks on the ground from the spot you moved out of. You will notice how many vehicles leak oil/stuff but you are looking for fresh leak. If in doubt stop and check again.

Also think about the emergency situations and how you would avoid an accident.

Even after all this, the machines will fail us.

Question: What is your opinion about adding the requirement of understanding the mechanical operation of the car to get a drivers permit?

Salim
getting off the soap box.
Old 03-28-10, 09:41 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

The OP is really vague on the cause (maintenance history or what was supposedly loose). Since he really think that Toyota is out to kill us, he should give me his RX - I'll take that killin machine off his hands.
Old 03-29-10, 03:53 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am guessing this is just a rant or plain venting since the OP doesn't give any information other than "some part was loose". At this low speed, shifting to park would have stopped the car! Plus standing on the brake pedal like there was no tomorrow!
Old 03-30-10, 06:46 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Many people in a panic hit the gas pedal by mistake. Like the 80 year old who went into the store front because of hitting the gas in a panic.
Old 03-30-10, 08:37 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Here OP stated that the brakes did not deploy fully and an actual problem existed. I would not bin his case with other unexplained [machine/(wo)man] at fault.

Salim