RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

seat belt not retarct

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 08:59 AM
HimSelf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat belt not retarct

My seat belt is having a hard time to retract. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks
Old 02-04-10, 09:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

This is a safety device, take it in to Lexus. I am sure they will repair w/o charge with ot w/o warranty.
Old 02-05-10, 05:22 AM
HimSelf
Rookie

I called my dealer and was told that it is out of warranty and the car is too old to be covered. He gave me an example of a 1979 car had seat belt issue then they can fix them all. It is not retracting due to wear and usage.
Old 02-05-10, 06:00 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might be worth calling the 1 800 number for cust. service, they have different authorizing abilities., worth a shot, cuz i dont think they are very cheap
Old 02-05-10, 09:17 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

First determine if the problem is in the take-up spring or something is restricting the travel of the belt. On RX300, the belt pass through at the pillar is very restricted and dirt over time makes it narrow and the belt does not pass through freely. A strip of velcro as a floss, fixes that problem.

Lexus belt take up is not very strong [I personally like it as you can drive for miles without the belt slowly constricting you].

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 02-05-10 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 11:03 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HimSelf
I called my dealer and was told that it is out of warranty and the car is too old to be covered. He gave me an example of a 1979 car had seat belt issue then they can fix them all. It is not retracting due to wear and usage.
Well, I can understand if the car is more than ten years old, but... anything less than ten year shouldn't fail. What is Lexus putting in these car? Cheap parts and charging customer for a "Luxury" car.
Old 02-06-10, 12:30 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redrocks
Well, I can understand if the car is more than ten years old, but... anything less than ten year shouldn't fail. What is Lexus putting in these car? Cheap parts and charging customer for a "Luxury" car.
Very well stated! I would also agree with salimshah's recommendations.
Old 02-06-10, 05:23 AM
veleno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under the law, anything that deals with the restraint system of any vehicle (seat belts, latches) is covered FOR EVER! If there is a problem and it is not functioning as it should, the manufacturer must fix/replace it.

If they are telling you it's not covered for any reason take it to the higher up in command.
Old 02-06-10, 05:32 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by veleno
Under the law, anything that deals with the restraint system of any vehicle (seat belts, latches) is covered FOR EVER! If there is a problem and it is not functioning as it should, the manufacturer must fix/replace it.

If they are telling you it's not covered for any reason take it to the higher up in command.
^^^^1, that's the federal law, talk to the service manager, any toyota product does not need anymore negative publicity to add to their current woes
Old 02-06-10, 11:38 AM
salimshah

Woah!

Not every thing related to safety is covered for life. Brakes come to my mind as an exception.

There are safety issues, design aesthetics and normal wear and tear. Toyota has its sets of problems, but lets focus on the issue here.

3 point belts need and anchor at the pillar. One extreme is what you will see in GM truck, which s a large loop. The other extreme in RX300 where it is a narrow slit. At times the belt gets folded over and the large loop allows the fold to pass through and and make it the way to the take-up assembly to cause a jam. GM added a long throat for the belt as it enters the take-up. For them the jam happens there. For Lexus they made the loop so thin that it does not allow the fold to go pass it. They also use a button to hold the belt buckle at the start point.

Yes there can be a problem with the mechanism and it could be a maintenance issue. Pet/human hair, dirt, lint, grime could be causing a jam. Narrow it down to the fail and the root cause.

Salim
Old 02-06-10, 01:00 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
Woah!

Not every thing related to safety is covered for life. Brakes come to my mind as an exception.
I'm not sure if you're referring to my comment or not, but If you are, I never said anything about safety related parts. I was careful to say anything related to the "restraint" system (seat belts, seat belt latches, basically anything that has to do with the seat belt). If you weren't, then Happy Super Bowl weekend brotha!

In any case, I would not try to figure out why it's not working. Take it to the dealer and let them fix/replace it. That's what they're suppose to do.
Old 02-06-10, 01:17 PM
jetblk328i
Driver School Candidate

Both my front belts do not easily retract on my 99 RX300. They retract slightly if i help them along.

Will this law cover me?

thanks!
Old 02-06-10, 01:21 PM
veleno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jetblk328i
Both my front belts do not easily retract on my 99 RX300. They retract slightly if i help them along.

Will this law cover me?

thanks!
Yes
Old 02-06-10, 07:02 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by jetblk328i

Will this law cover me?

thanks!
If your problem is the hook:
'99 for sure had a TSB and the fix is cleaning the hook. Call the dealer and find out and post.

Salim
Old 02-06-10, 07:06 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by veleno
stuff deleted ....
If you weren't, then Happy Super Bowl weekend brotha!
... more stuff deleted
My best wishes to you irrespective of any agreement/disagreement in our views

BTW . I just did not want this thread to become a Toyota bashing and stay on the topic, by providing best advice to the poster.

Salim

Quick Reply: seat belt not retarct