RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

*MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 10:09 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

^^ Time to seal it up...
Old 03-01-13, 02:53 PM
cjriv12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
^^ Time to seal it up...
mandyfig - Thank you for the very descriptive and informative post regarding removing and sealing the Headlight! My 2008 RX 400h passenger headlight has condensation after a very snowy trip to Colorado. With that said, you mentioned just sealing the top of the housing without taking it completely out. Is it still possible to dry it out without completely removing it?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-02-13, 08:44 AM
mandyfig

When the weather is permitting, air is dry and lots of sunshine, your headlamps will dry out. Therefore try sealing the top and just wait and see. I suspect everything will work out. However, if you do not want to dry it out forcefully, just monitor and when it is dried out, seal the top. Then it is a waiting game.

To test if yours are sealed enough, wait for a rainy day, unless you want to take your water hose and blast the front hood and lights, that's a guaranteed way of inducing condensation on a compromised head lamp.

Good luck.
Old 03-02-13, 03:25 PM
GadgetmanN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mandyfig
When the weather is permitting, air is dry and lots of sunshine, your headlamps will dry out. Therefore try sealing the top and just wait and see. I suspect everything will work out. However, if you do not want to dry it out forcefully, just monitor and when it is dried out, seal the top. Then it is a waiting game.

To test if yours are sealed enough, wait for a rainy day, unless you want to take your water hose and blast the front hood and lights, that's a guaranteed way of inducing condensation on a compromised head lamp.

Good luck.
I agree. It might help to take the rear vent plugs off to expedite drying out, and then reapply the vent plugs and seal the top seals with silicone.
Old 03-04-13, 08:28 AM
cjriv12
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! I'll give it try.
Old 03-04-13, 09:23 AM
cjriv12
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if anyone posted this yet. I found a class action lawsuit against Lexus regarding this issue.

Click the below link:

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsu...action-lawsuit
Old 03-05-13, 04:50 PM
Moesterle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RobF15E
I have quite a bit of moisture in both of my 08 RX400h headlight assemblies. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, have you had any success removing it and keeping it out? During the day it will dry up, but it returns at night. I just received the car from Tx, so I am hoping if I open up the assembly and blow some warm dry air in, I can displace the moist air that is currently in there. Don't know if it will be a long term fix. Is it difficult to get to the bulbs to remove them? I still have tons to learn about this vehicle. Thanks

PS I posted it here as I assume the headlight assemblies are the same for all the second generation RXs.
Same here. My Rx400h has problem with RH headlight assembly. Dealer and Toyota offering 35% discount off repair. Filing lawsuit today until settled. Great car otherwise.
Old 03-06-13, 06:18 AM
mandyfig

Moesterle 1st off welcome to CL.

There's a ton of posts regarding this issue. Suggest that you perform the seal now. Document your condensation for later claim use. But no sense in leaving the issue unresolved.

Post a pic or 2 of your ride.
Old 03-06-13, 11:29 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Moesterle
Same here. My Rx400h has problem with RH headlight assembly. Dealer and Toyota offering 35% discount off repair. Filing lawsuit today until settled. Great car otherwise.
file a complaint....the more people complaint about the issue, NHTSA might force Toyota for a recall

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 03-06-13, 12:50 PM
mandyfig

I will file 1 myself!
Old 03-06-13, 12:51 PM
mandyfig

Is there a specific complaint already in the database? And if there is one, how do we get there? Or you just have to go through the process?
Old 03-06-13, 01:57 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I filed one myself but this is what I found for what other owners are reporting:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchComplaints
Old 03-22-13, 07:58 PM
djcrx330
Driver School Candidate

Default Finally done with headlight fix

Originally Posted by cjriv12
Not sure if anyone posted this yet. I found a class action lawsuit against Lexus regarding this issue.

Click the below link:

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsu...action-lawsuit
If you noticed my earlier posts in this thread you saw that I followed mandyfig's instructions. I took out the housing, poured the water out, dried it out, and re-sealed with the clear silicone. When I put the housing back into the RX330, and the headlights came on, the light would flicker for a short while, then it would go out. I decided to try replacing the ballast. So, went shopping on e-bay and could only find used ballasts. I thought it best to get a new OEM ballast. Found an outfit named HID Concept. www.hidconcept.com They are in Brooklyn NY. Free expedited shipping. No sales tax. Purchase price of $119.99. It is a Denso D2S/DSR HID Ballast. Denso, I learned, is the maker of the ballasts used by the Lexus factory. It arrived promptly. It is identical to the factory model right down to the part number, the Denso label, and "Toyota Motor Car, Inc." label. Had to re-use my input pigtail because the supplied pigtail's supply end plug would not mate with my wiring harness. This was not a problem. Just unplugged my old one from the old ballast and snapped it on to the new ballast. Install is done. Headlight working fine, including the AFS feature.

After this exercise, i decided to make a pre-emptive strike on the driver's side headlight assembly. It has had no condensation and no issues. However, thought it best to lay a bead of the clear silicone along the top seam of the housing. Did not remove the housing from the vehicle. With the hood up, the top seam presents itself and it is not difficult to lay a bed of clear silicone along its length.

Hope this info is of some assistance to someone out there.

djcrx330

Post script: By the way, today I sent an inquiry e-mail to the law offices that brought the class action lawsuit. I'll let you know what, if anything, I get back.
Old 03-31-13, 06:14 PM
CJ7Hokie
Driver School Candidate

I just got finished sealing both headlights, and replacing the driver’s side ballast. Wow! It works!!!
So, now we play the waiting game to see if moisture shows back up.

Now is my dilemma. I thought it was odd that the ballast did not have a rubber gasket on the bottom panel where the four screws attach. After I finished putting it all back together, I check the parts diagram, and saw that there should have been a gasket there. Strange, that mine did not, and that happens to be the side that had the water damaged ballast, although it was also the side where the seal up top between the black and clear plastic, almost appeared to be dry-rotted. This lamp also had a lot more moisture in it that the passenger side. With all this being said, does that gasket really do anything? I assume it’s to keep water from splashing up from below into the ballast compartment, but really, what are the odds of that? I am wondering if, maybe it would be better to leave off, as if anything, it will give the lamp some "breathing" room.

Opinions??

Thanks
Old 04-01-13, 02:09 PM
djcrx330
Driver School Candidate

Default Recently did same job

I am guessing that the gasket was not missing. When I did the job on my rx330, at first, it appeared that there was no gasket at the ballast cover. On closer inspection, however, the gasket was in place in sort of a recess or groove (in the cover) that accomodated the gasket very closely. With a probe, I picked out the gasket and treated it, lightly, with a silicone grease. I then reinserted it into the groove and reassembled.

Quick Reply: *MERGED THREADS*: Headlight Condensation includes DIY instructions (See Post #19)