RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

60,000 service. what the heck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-09, 04:32 PM
adman0468
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60,000 service. what the heck?

So I call the Lexus dealer to get the 60,000 service and they say it's going to be $1,400 because it includes the timing belt. I tell them I don't want the timing belt because that can wait until 90,000 (even the owner's manual says 90,000 miles). So I'm thinking the service will then be half that - maybe less. Turns out they charge me $1,200. WTF?

Here's how the bill breaks down:
60,000 service, 7.5 hours. labor: $738.75
Parts (including washer fluid, oil filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, fuel tank gasket, wipers, cylinder gaskets, fluids $230.37
Then, there's a separate charge for the Transmission flush (parts and labor) $183.95

Here's my question. On the labor charge, could replacing the following items really take 7.5 hours? Change engine oil, replace filter, rotate and balance tires, replace air filter, engine coolant system service, brake fluid replacement, wiper blades, fuel tank cap gasket, fuel injection cleaner, brake inspection, inspect tire tread.

I'm thinking that the 7.5 hour estimate is for when they DO replace the timing belt. But before I went back there, I wanted to check with you guys.

BTW, if you're wondering why the bill has been paid, my other-half did this. Maybe I should have taken it in.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-09, 05:11 PM
tshelly
Rookie

Well here is my two cents on it. I never, repeat never take my cars back to the dealership after the first free oil change. That is any dealership whether it be Buick, Ford, Dodge, Chevrolet, Nissan, Chrysler, Lexus, and MB. I get all these peformed at local places. I could be asking for trouble but I have personally owned vehicles from all the manufacturers listed above. I have never had any problems by taking them elsewhere.

Are you sure that it needs spark plugs after 60,000 miles? Most of these newer vehicles spark plugs don't need to be replaced until 100,000 miles. Again I could be wrong.

My other half always calls me, if she is at a dealership or other car maintenance business, and asks me before she gets anything done.
Old 01-19-09, 05:45 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Find an independent that specializes in Toyota .... the 60K service will be about $400.
Old 01-19-09, 08:59 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

It amazes me when I read post like this thread starter...

All auto repair facility are supposed to give the customer "estimated repair charge" and are supposed to get pre-authorization. There is supposed to be a "contract" that the customer signs and usually there is a provision for the shop to call and get verbal OK over the phone for things they discover in the shop.

Now the shop would try to upsell, and a savvy customer will talk them to do the "essential".

Since the work (some items are unnecessary)was carried out, you can have the labor time reviewed/reconciled but the mechanic has to be paid. You can lodge a compliant with the service manager, dealership manager and even Lexus Corp about upselling, but being shocked at the invoice seems pointless as you OKed the pre-auth. If the shop did not give you one, or did work that you did not authorize, you have a legit complaint (which you can take to your state's consumer affairs if needed)

Salim

edit add on..
Customers need to know that the "contract" is binding and the bill has to be paid. Other wise the mechanic lien applies and the shop has the right to recover and sell your vehicle to recover the cost. This may sound UNFAIR, but the laws have been enacted to protect the mechanic (not the shop) as their livelihood depends upon being paid daily.

Please read the form that you sign, when you drop your vehicle for repairs.

shocker if you did not know .... customer's insurance policy is supposed to provide coverage while the vehicle is at the shop. Good shops have their policy too, but they recover their premium by a higher charge to the customer.

Last edited by salimshah; 01-19-09 at 09:08 PM. Reason: add the add on .. why the bill has to be paid.
Old 01-19-09, 11:00 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what takes the most time is waiting for all the fluid to bleed from the brake line, thats probably where the 7.5hr came from because everything else alone is 2hrs. tranny fluid cost about $35. so they charge you $149 for labor which should have been only $75.

3/4 of the stuff they did you could have done yourself and save the labor cost
Old 01-20-09, 03:02 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

That is NOT 7.5 hours work that's for sure.

Ask them for an itemized breakdown and if they don't come to the party, take it up with Lexus Customer Service.

Does the owners manual have estimated times for services?
Old 01-20-09, 05:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I see you are in AR, I bet there is very few Lexus dealer there. They are simply trying to rip you off since they are the only game in town. I have seen this before. I would call up Lexus headquarter and file a complain and then go find a good mechanical or use the Toyota dealer.
Old 01-20-09, 06:31 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iKon_RX
what takes the most time is waiting for all the fluid to bleed from the brake line, thats probably where the 7.5hr came from because everything else alone is 2hrs. tranny fluid cost about $35. so they charge you $149 for labor which should have been only $75.

3/4 of the stuff they did you could have done yourself and save the labor cost
The ONLY way it takes a long time for brake lines to bleed, in my experience, is if you use a gravity bleed method - opening the bleeders at each wheel and letting gravity do its thing. I have done pressure bleeding and the tried and true "pump and hold" method (with a helper of course) and it takes under an hour for either method. One one caveat here is that the newest car I have done a brake bleed on is my 1993 Acura Legend.

To the OP, I think you got shafted - I only hope it was a gold plated shaft and he warmed it up first.
Old 01-20-09, 08:40 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Parts (including washer fluid, oil filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, fuel tank gasket, wipers, cylinder gaskets, fluids $230.37
Then, there's a separate charge for the Transmission flush (parts and labor) $183.95

WTF are these?
Fuel tank gasket....
Cylinder gasket....

Rip Off.

The best thing that happened to you is now you have evidence to submit to Toyota-Lexus that this dealer does not deserve to be called a LEXUS dealer. What a rip off!

Do not let it go! Call Lexus, now!!!
Old 01-20-09, 09:29 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydjce

Does the owners manual have estimated times for services?
Shops have a book that list expected labor time to get a certain item done. The gray area is when there is trouble-shooting (luckily this was not the case) and when 2 items are combined. There is also a rounding up that happens (like 1hr for 40 min labor). Ideally for 40 min + 20 min = 1hr but due to rounding (specially if different mech work on it) you may be charged 1hr + 1/2hr = 1.5hr

Salim
Old 01-20-09, 09:52 AM
Scottydog
Driver

Fuel tank gasket is likely to be the gas cap gasket. Cylinder gasket??? Perhaps valve cover gasket?

No differential service???

Most of your list are easily done in your garage...
Old 01-20-09, 10:11 AM
Scottydog
Driver

Originally Posted by iKon_RX
what takes the most time is waiting for all the fluid to bleed from the brake line
Bleeding brakes takes 30-45 minutes.
Old 01-21-09, 06:25 AM
adman0468
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all your help, guys. I'm going today to see if I can straighten this out.

To answer some of your comments - I'm not mechanically inclined and have no desire to do this stuff myself. However, I want to pay a fair wage for it.

I do know that the Lexus dealer can be more than a Toyota dealer. However, to this point, that difference hasn't seemed like much.

Yes, this is the only Lexus dealer in Arkansas and I do not like them. I actually went to Dallas to buy this car because I could get such a better deal there than here - they would not negotiate.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-22-09, 05:50 AM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

The few times that I have taken a vehicle in to do required service has always resulted in me telling the service advisor to do only what is required to maintain the warranty. Only those items that Lexus says are essential. I had an Acura dealer tell me that I was risking the longevity of the Acura by not doing his company's extended service. When I suggested that I thought that the car manufacturer new better what was required than a dealer trying to pad my bill, he shut up. This was 15 years ago but the bill dropped from around $300 to under $100 when the non-essential fluff was subtracted.

I would challenge the service department to show you in writing where Lexus requires the items that were changed or the service that was performed. Gas cap gasket and cylinder gasket? Even if this is the valve cover gasket, I have a hard time thinking that this is a scheduled and periodic requirement.

Gary
Old 01-22-09, 06:34 AM
tfischer

Received 194 Likes on 147 Posts

MECHANIC'S LIENS:
"Other wise the mechanic lien applies and the shop has the right to recover and sell your vehicle to recover the cost. This may sound UNFAIR, but the laws have been enacted to protect the mechanic (not the shop) as their livelihood depends upon being paid daily."
Actually, that's not the way mechanic's liens work in most states (each state has its own statutory system). Usually, a mechanic's lien is a possessory lien only. This means the shop may keep the vehicle in its possession until you pay the bill for services rendered to that vehicle. The shop may not sell the car without extensive legal wrangling, so that almost never happens. It's a Mexican standoff of sorts, but most people really want their cars back (leverage). Finally, once the shop gives the car to the customer, the lien is gone. The shop cannot later reclaim the car once it is out of its possession.
The system does protect the shop, as is just, but also protects the owner from having his car sold peremptorily or even vindictively.