RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Considering trade in X5 for RX350/400h

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-07, 06:20 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering trade in X5 for RX350/400h

Hi all,

I'm considering trading in my 2004 X5 for an RX350/400h. Don't get me wrong, I love the X5 but it just isn't the most reliable car in the world. I had my cylinder head crack at 20k miles and it took the dealership 2 weeks to repair it. In the process they also had to replace the VANOS (BMW equivalent of VVT-i) system on my car. I'm starting to get concerned and want to replace it before I'm out of warranty. Edmunds says I can get about 31k for trade in right now (only has 24k miles).

Anyway, I'm already satisfied with the quality of my GS so I assume the RX will live up to the same expectations. My question is, has anyone owned both an X5 and RX and could share their experiences? I know the RX has AWD which is a must for me. I think the RX specs say its a few inches longer than the X5 as well, can anyone compare the interior space? Also does the RX have electric folding side view mirrors for tight parking spaces?

Do the 400h and 350 have the same standard features with the only exception of the hybrid engine? What factors would you consider choosing between these two?

I'm just trying to get a feel of how satisfied/different I would feel making this switch.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-07, 06:34 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrurmil
Also does the RX have electric folding side view mirrors for tight parking spaces?
If you mean the mirrors tilt down, then yes, but get the navigation system, which has the back-up camera.

Do the 400h and 350 have the same standard features with the only exception of the hybrid engine? What factors would you consider choosing between these two?
I'd spring for the wood interior finish for the 400h, which is an option available for 2007.
Old 01-20-07, 06:52 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 32kcolors
If you mean the mirrors tilt down, then yes, but get the navigation system, which has the back-up camera.
On the X5 there is a button and the mirrors power fold in when you want to park somewhere tight.
Old 01-20-07, 07:47 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

I see. No, the RX doesn't have that capability. Doesn't that make it impossible for you to get out of the car or leave the car susceptible to door dings from pissed-off people as a result of parking too close to them? The side view mirrors don't stick out that much on the RX like you see on some large trucks.
Old 01-20-07, 09:42 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Test drive * 5

Also make use of the loaner facility when you take your GS for service.

Salim
Old 01-21-07, 06:58 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default I think you will be very disappointed

in making a move from an X5 to the RX. Now don't go jumping on me guys, the RX is fine BUT- the X5 drives and handles like a sports car where the RX is more "luxury" oriented. There is no subsititution for fine German engineering.

As pointed out above- test drive. Test drive on a road you are familiar with and push the RX. Find a curvy hill to make a run up and you will see what I mean. Also you are going to take a beating on the X5 trade. An extended warranty would be cheaper than the loss you are going to get hit with on a trade, something to consider seriously. While you are in warranty check out all the TSB's for the vehicle and even if yours doesn't display some of the issues act like it does if you can when you take it in for service and you may find BMW will fix it anyway. Get all these issues taken care of and all software updates and you may be fine.

Hey, you never know, I had to have a transmission replaced in a RX300 at 50,000 miles. Another factor is that with your low mileage you have a lot of years left on that X5 so there is no pressing need or reason to replace it in the near future. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-21-07, 09:05 PM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Todd
the X5 drives and handles like a sports car where the RX is more "luxury" oriented. There is no subsititution for fine German engineering.
I don't think it's GREAT German engineering that makes the X5 spectacular in your opinion. If Lexus wanted to produce a very stiff and well handling SUV, they would have and would have done a damn good job too...

Once again the problem I personally have with the X5 as well as some other SUVs out there is that they are focused in the wrong direction. Let me make my point clear with an example: If you were building a Limo, would you want to make sure that the Limo can corner 'Like a Sports Car' ? Would you want to make sure it's balance is 50/50 and that it comes with incredible summer tires....NOOOO! As a matter of fact, if you did build a limo that could corner and handle very well, it would be a pretty bad limo. Why? Because a limo is not meant to corner with. It is meant to deliver a great luxurious ride. A good cornering limo would lose the great luxurious ride defeating the purpose of the car. No one would want to ride in a limo like that.

This is precisely my gripe with SUVs that put too much towards handling. SUVS are big vehicles and no matter which way you look at it, they should not be cornering like a sports car...or even a regular car for that matter. It's like taking a Sumo wrestler and making them run in the 100m dash. It just isn't right!

An SUV should be concerned with being a great touring machine with a lot of utility and great all-weather driveability. That's exactly what the RX is. It's not trying to be something that's just not right! The RX is the perfect SUV in my opinion. It does everything right and it's ride is more luxurious than any other SUV out there. No wonder it's the best selling SUV out there!

Kan-O-Z

Last edited by Kan-O-Z; 01-22-07 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-21-07, 09:22 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Kan-O-Z:

In general I agree with you but our problem is with "S" in suv.

The other problem is what is good for you and me, may not be the right thing for another person, so the best advice is to test drive. Both are good vehicels, but you and I feel that RX is better.

Salim
Old 01-22-07, 07:29 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Kan-O-Z:

In general I agree with you but our problem is with "S" in suv.

The other problem is what is good for you and me, may not be the right thing for another person, so the best advice is to test drive. Both are good vehicels, but you and I feel that RX is better.

Salim
Yes, the "S" in SUV stands for sport....but I think this sport means something different than what it means with "sports" cars. I think sport in an SUV means something along the lines of what Nissan portrays with the Xterra: A do all, be all vehicle thats great for camping, mountain biking, canoeing, hiking, etc. You name the sport/activity and the vehicle is there and capable to enable you to do it. I don't think it refers to how many G's the vehicle pulls on the skid pad That's just my opinion of course.

I do agree with you, a test drive is often the determining factor on what vehicle you really like.

Kan-O-Z
Old 01-22-07, 10:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd
in making a move from an X5 to the RX. Now don't go jumping on me guys, the RX is fine BUT- the X5 drives and handles like a sports car where the RX is more "luxury" oriented. There is no subsititution for fine German engineering.

As pointed out above- test drive. Test drive on a road you are familiar with and push the RX. Find a curvy hill to make a run up and you will see what I mean. Also you are going to take a beating on the X5 trade. An extended warranty would be cheaper than the loss you are going to get hit with on a trade, something to consider seriously. While you are in warranty check out all the TSB's for the vehicle and even if yours doesn't display some of the issues act like it does if you can when you take it in for service and you may find BMW will fix it anyway. Get all these issues taken care of and all software updates and you may be fine.

Hey, you never know, I had to have a transmission replaced in a RX300 at 50,000 miles. Another factor is that with your low mileage you have a lot of years left on that X5 so there is no pressing need or reason to replace it in the near future. Just my 2 cents worth.
I think he wants to subsitute german engineering with something more reliable... :-).

20k for cracking cylinders and vanos replacement? :-).

Of course, test drive is very much needed...

I would take RX400h in a second. Not only it performs as an V8, with good mpg, you will also get good value for it later on due to great mpg.
Old 01-22-07, 12:42 PM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I tested both an X5 and an RX350 in December, and hands down the winner was the RX350. The X5 could not get out of its own way with the low end engine in it (must be too heavy), did not corner well at all, and the new 3rd row seats are an engineering joke/travesty (too small for even a 6 year old)!

I am very happy with my RX350.

I figured to get similar performance out of the X5 I would need at least to go to the midsized engine, for another $10K