RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Details unseen in Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 05:02 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There's two clips probably to hold the shade in place on top of the window frame. Unfortunately it was a detail I didn't see until after I looked at the pictures I took of the '16 RX at the NY Auto Show.
Attached Thumbnails Details unseen in Pics!-img_0998.jpg  
Old 05-07-15, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
This probably so one cannot pile up multiple floor mats under the pedal so it gets stuck.
Every Lexus model doesn't have a floor hinged pedal, just the more premium or sporting models. BMWs and MBs always have floor hinged pedals, as do race and performance cars, etc.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Wow, nice catch. But as dark as the tint is, one would wonder why? If not then what?
Thats a window shade, same as in my GS. With kids/babies, even with the tinted windows the window shades are great. We have them in the GS and in our van, and the van had dark tinted windows in the back too, but we still need the shades.
Old 05-07-15, 08:45 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Every Lexus model doesn't have a floor hinged pedal, just the more premium or sporting models. BMWs and MBs always have floor hinged pedals, as do race and performance cars, etc.
I don't understand your point. I was alluding to the sudden acceleration issue as to why the new RX has it. Toyota paid out millions to settle lawsuits for it. A lot involved the pedal getting stuck because of too many thicknesses of floor mats under the pedal. There was a recall to cut off a portion of the bottom of the pedal to fix it. I would guess all or least most Toyota/Lexus' will be a floor hinged pedal design in the future.
Old 05-07-15, 03:01 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Probably not going to get the sunshade in the UK - not like we need it or anything haha!
Old 05-07-15, 04:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't understand your point. I was alluding to the sudden acceleration issue as to why the new RX has it. Toyota paid out millions to settle lawsuits for it. A lot involved the pedal getting stuck because of too many thicknesses of floor mats under the pedal. There was a recall to cut off a portion of the bottom of the pedal to fix it. I would guess all or least most Toyota/Lexus' will be a floor hinged pedal design in the future.
wouldnt that be even worse if someone piles bunch of mats that go above the gas pedal?

In any case, this is now solved via electronics in new cars, same as pedal misapplication.
Old 05-07-15, 05:17 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Rear window goes all the way down
Excellent observation!! The devil is in the details or so they say.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This I think is something every premium car should have. I much prefer the floor mounted accelerator pedal, its much more comfortable, less fatigue on your leg, your foot never falls off of it, etc.
How do all weather floor liners work with this type of gas pedal? =(
Old 05-10-15, 07:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I understood what you were alluding to, I don't think thats the reason for the change. I had a 2010 ES that had the ridiculous pedal "shaving" recall. Lexus has always had cars with a floor hinged pedal. The LS has always had a floor hinged pedal, The GS in different trims and configurations has had a floor hinged pedal. If the reason was the unintended acceleration, why would the 6ES redesign, the car that issue surrounded around, not include a floor hinged pedal?

I think the reasoning for it is that its a premium/performance touch that is found in the sorts of vehicles Lexus wants to emulate.

Originally Posted by ericsan13
How do all weather floor liners work with this type of gas pedal? =(
They work fine. I had the Lexus OEM all weather mats in the GS, no issues with the pedal, the mat came right up to the edge of the pedal and then the pedal itself has a plastic base. The floor liner type products I've seen look great with the floor hinged pedal

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-10-15 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-13-15, 08:34 PM
09RX350AWD
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Details

New 2016 Lexus RX to Come Equipped with Michelin's Innovative Premier Tires
Award winning, state-of-the-art tread design provides extraordinary safety

The all-new 2016 Lexus RX, unveiled recently at the New York International Auto Show, will come standard with one of the latest and most effective advancements in safety technology - the MICHELIN® Premier® LTX® tire.

With the brand’s revolutionary EverGrip™ technology, these groundbreaking tires provide drivers with exceptional levels of safety, even with wear. When ultimately worn, the MICHELIN Premier LTX is still proven to stop shorter on wet roads than brand new tires from competitive brands.

Hidden grooves emerge as the tire wears, and expanding rain grooves widen over time to help water escape, for a tire like none before it. Combined with a unique rubber compound that increases grip in wet conditions, the resistance to hydroplaning is impressive. The overall result is a dependable tire with prolonged safety and performance in a range of weather conditions, living up to its reputation.

“We worked very closely with the Lexus team to tune the Premier tire to meet the important safety and performance needs of the next generation Lexus RX,” said Thom Roach, vice president of Original Equipment Marketing, Michelin North America. “The MICHELIN Premier tire, like the Lexus itself, offers advancements in safety and performance that demonstrate both brands’ commitment to innovation.”

The Michelin Premier tire was recognized by Popular Science magazine as one of the Top 100 innovations of 2014 in its annual “Best of What’s New” list. And both MIT and The New England Motor Press Association selected the tire as a top technology for automotive suppliers.

The MICHELIN Premier LTX tire will be available in an 18-inch and 20-inch option for the 2016 Lexus RX. Stop by today to learn more.
Old 05-20-15, 10:35 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Just seen the new videos for the RX which were released today.

I noticed that the RX indicators are actually above the DRL's leading to a good look, unlike the one in Audi's where the white DRL's turn off on one side and become dimmer as the indicators turn on.
Old 05-20-15, 10:58 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Just seen the new videos for the RX which were released today.

I noticed that the RX indicators are actually above the DRL's leading to a good look, unlike the one in Audi's where the white DRL's turn off on one side and become dimmer as the indicators turn on.
Can you please share a link? I wasn't able to find them on google.

Edit: found it https://lexusenthusiast.com/2015/05/...2016-lexus-rx/

Last edited by ericsan13; 05-20-15 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 12:59 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

New HUD looks awesome!

Deposit down on mine - full UK spec coming to me in 2 months! I was thinking of cutting down my hours - looks like that's not happening for another year
Old 06-09-15, 09:40 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

I'm not crazy about the door lock plungers.
Old 06-30-15, 05:53 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
I'm not crazy about the door lock plungers.
Yea...those are kinda old school from my younger days.
Old 06-30-15, 06:13 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

I like what I'm seeing on the new Rx! Some of the new features are things I've been "whining" about in the surveys - features that my wife's 2015 Hyundai Sonata has. Perhaps Lexus will be a leader again as opposed to a fast follower.

If they have removed the 1,000 contact download limit it's going to be very hard for me to resist upgrading. When I bought my 2013 Rxh in June 2012 I was impatient, not wanting to spend another summer in Houston without ventilated seats. I missed out on some neat stuff that wasn't due to rollout until later that year like BSM. And I had to forego the Luxury Pkg or wait another 30 days and try again. Now that I'm older and wiser I can be more patient...I hope.
Old 06-30-15, 07:41 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A few things I noticed while checking 4RX internal pamphlet:

- they seem to have added an overhead box for sunglasses. Didn't quite get how exactly big it is and exact location (the photo was pretty small and dark). But it is present (an option?… not sure)
- power back door can now be opened touch-less! Just by hovering your hand over the Lexus logo
- if you press power back door close button TWICE, it'll close the door AND lock the car (a huge hit with my wife :)
- I missed that on official pictures, but the shape of the steering wheel seems to be the same for both L and Sports models now (with bulbs on the sides, for L it's half-wood, half-leather). I totally love Sports steering wheel shape, but didn't want to get it just for the wheel. Great to see this was added
- the opening under center "divider" console (sorry, not sure how that's called…) is still missing, so it probably goes to production this way :( I like how we can put a box of Kleenex down there and it would be accessible to both driver and passenger. Not anymore, it seems…
- saw exact measurements of HUD (and comparison with 3RX's), and it's basically 7 times bigger now. about 3 times wider and about 2.5 times taller. Insane!

Last edited by macdee; 06-30-15 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Details unseen in Pics!