RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Anyone have any idea what the issue is?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-14, 04:14 AM
Stemmer
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone have any idea what the issue is?

When I got in my RX a few days ago the steering wheel felt odd - almost like a car with no power steering - the wheel could be moved a little in each direction but definitely did not feel right. I went to start it and the dash board lit up as usual but nothing happened at all - it did not turn over at all - but all of the accessories work. Somehow my son got it started - he's not sure what he did but I think he was turning the wheel back and forth. And it ran fine. But this morning the same thing happened and my son was unable to get it started.

Any ideas?
Old 12-16-14, 06:41 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Bad Battery?....
Old 12-16-14, 07:45 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Please go through the having problems sticky.

Few things need more explanation ... steering feel before starting the engine or after?
Unable to start?

Salim
Old 12-16-14, 05:27 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Please go through the having problems sticky.

Few things need more explanation ... steering feel before starting the engine or after?
Unable to start?

Salim
Hi Salim - I did not see anything similar on the problems sticky. The steering wheel felt very stiff before I tried to start it - it was NOT the same feeling as a locked wheel that unlocks with the ignition. Something seemed wrong right away - I could turn it maybe one inch in each direction with a lot of effort. When I turned the key, the dash lights all came on but the engine was completely dead - it felt like an anti-theft kill switch. Tonight I turned the steering wheel back and forth some more (as much as this stiff feeling wheel would allow) and then it started. But I'm worried it's happened twice now in a short period of time and that I might get stranded. This has never happened before. Any ideas?

Last edited by Stemmer; 12-16-14 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-16-14, 10:00 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Stemmer
Hi Salim - I did not see anything similar on the problems sticky. The steering wheel felt very stiff before I tried to start it - it was NOT the same feeling as a locked wheel that unlocks with the ignition. Something seemed wrong right away - I could turn it maybe one inch in each direction with a lot of effort. When I turned the key, the dash lights all came on but the engine was completely dead - it felt like an anti-theft kill switch. Tonight I turned the steering wheel back and forth some more (as much as this stiff feeling wheel would allow) and then it started. But I'm worried it's happened twice now in a short period of time and that I might get stranded. This has never happened before. Any ideas?
You have listed some more information but there are some gaps.

Steering without engine running:
Ignition key has a lock position. As you pull the key out it gets armed.You can turn with effort till the steering lock cog kicks in and your steering gets locked in position. Once locked the key release can get in tension and you have to fight with the steering to release the cog. Is this what you mean by needing lot of effort to turn?
Assuming the lock release has been activated (key past lock), when engine is not running the steering pump is not running and without the assist the steering is difficult to turn.

Steering with engine running: Feel changes under different conditions ... but this case does not apply.

Antithesft: If activated, will kill the spark (engine cant run), but starter would crank the engine.

Key in start position: do you hear solenoid click?

How can we help across the net:
We can help you understand the problem.
Discuss common complaints.

Eventually you will have to decide to diagnose yourself or take it to a qualified tech.

Salim
Old 12-17-14, 03:17 PM
Stemmer
Driver

Thanks for the help Salim- I think it's too complicated for me and will have my mechanic check it.