RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 Trans Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-14, 05:33 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimsRX300
If the frame is aluminum the I'm curious how they r gonna ground it.

There are quite a few cars out there made entirely from aluminum - Audi A8, or made of composite materials such as carbon fiber, etc. Problem has been solved many times over.
Old 09-30-14, 05:41 PM
jgoorn
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to OT is there anyone who has had this issue and the problem wasn't solved with cleaning the grounds?
Old 10-01-14, 06:52 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Originally Posted by jgoorn
Back to OT is there anyone who has had this issue and the problem wasn't solved with cleaning the grounds?
Now I've got air mix or air mode servo issues. It was originally a slight click click click when the fan was on 3 or less. Now when I'm not on 3 (either higher or lower) it goes buzzzzzbuzzzzbuzzz and is incredibly ostentatious. It will not make the noise when it is on any other mode than the directly face mode only.
Old 10-26-19, 07:15 PM
PatMan624
Driver School Candidate

Default Clicking Noise, and Code p0753 Shift Solenoid A+B

Originally Posted by jgoorn
Ok so the clicking/sparking noises are coming from the Fuse box its at the mechanic now.
Listen to jgoorn, I did. The clicking noise is a relay under the dash next to the fuse box. I took the front panel of the dash off and could feel the relay as it was clicking. When it got clicking pretty fast, the check engine light would come on and pow, stuck in like Over Drive. No power from trans. push harder on the gas peddle to get more power and it dies. One of two things will clear it's code, P0753 is the main one with a bunch of other codes, Take the negative off the battery for 5 minutes, put it back on and it clears the codes. Or spend some cash and get a code reader, you can clear the codes even with a cheap model. But this won't fix the problem. I was quoted 3,500 to 5,500 to repair the trans. Car's only worth 2,500 so that's a no way. So I went on this site and was reading all the possible fixes people were coming up with. Changed the tranny fluid and put a new filter in, that was the cheapest. While I was there, I could see that all the solenoids were right in your face. Easy to change yourself, but depending where you go to buy them it's WAY expensive. Next I tried jgroorn's Idea, it was next cheapest. I found it, it was a ground on top of motor, against the firewall right next to the air intake manifold. left center. I did clean and wire brush all the grounds, but I knew it when I saw it. You ever see the Princes bride? jgoorn is Miracle max. You rock buddy. Saved me tons of money. God bless.
Old 10-28-19, 07:36 AM
jgoorn
Driver

Originally Posted by PatMan624
Listen to jgoorn, I did. The clicking noise is a relay under the dash next to the fuse box. I took the front panel of the dash off and could feel the relay as it was clicking. When it got clicking pretty fast, the check engine light would come on and pow, stuck in like Over Drive. No power from trans. push harder on the gas peddle to get more power and it dies. One of two things will clear it's code, P0753 is the main one with a bunch of other codes, Take the negative off the battery for 5 minutes, put it back on and it clears the codes. Or spend some cash and get a code reader, you can clear the codes even with a cheap model. But this won't fix the problem. I was quoted 3,500 to 5,500 to repair the trans. Car's only worth 2,500 so that's a no way. So I went on this site and was reading all the possible fixes people were coming up with. Changed the tranny fluid and put a new filter in, that was the cheapest. While I was there, I could see that all the solenoids were right in your face. Easy to change yourself, but depending where you go to buy them it's WAY expensive. Next I tried jgroorn's Idea, it was next cheapest. I found it, it was a ground on top of motor, against the firewall right next to the air intake manifold. left center. I did clean and wire brush all the grounds, but I knew it when I saw it. You ever see the Princes bride? jgoorn is Miracle max. You rock buddy. Saved me tons of money. God bless.
Hey, you did the hard work! I have since moved into an RX350 2010, and an 08 IS350 but my 03 RX300 has a special place in my heart. Wonderful car.

Last edited by jgoorn; 10-28-19 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-12-20, 06:55 PM
Djmatt8787
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Soooo ive been lurking for a while, battling both failed knock sensors in my 2000 RX300. forked out full price for Toyota OEM sensors, but since it was my third attempt, have gotten pretty good at the process.... today is the first long drive i took the car on since the major work (test runs were like 10 miles each) and it disappointed massively! P0753, P0758, and like a dozen others... along with an Evap Emission System code that I didn't write down this morning. After reading every comment in this thread, i think I'd like to go make sure i didnt shoot myself in the foot with a loose ground, but while im out there, I've had all these same symptoms.

https://imgur.com/a/e3MzQSQ

* floored accelerator wont gain speed
* shuddering when maintaining speed
* buzzing sound coming from my left toe
* vehicle Dies in motion or at idle

I linked the image because it was obnoxiously large when attached. If not a loose ground, how screwed am I? thank you all in advance.

Old 10-13-20, 02:36 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Just clear the codes and start again and check codes on the first onset of CEL.

Salim
Old 10-13-20, 05:23 PM
Djmatt8787
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Just clear the codes and start again and check codes on the first onset of CEL.

Salim
Actually, I had to clear my codes 6 times while driving, to make it the last 15 miles home.

retraced every wire last night that was part of the Knock Sensor project. I found one ground loose on the back of the air intake (?) running to the passenger wheel well. the ground under my battery was loose as well, so i cranked down on it. cleared the codes last night and I drove almost 100 miles today with no hesitation, no sputter, no clicking like electricity arcing from places unknown!

Salim, Jgoorn, you are all awesome for keeping this much info available for these cars and SO glad I read this forum before going to the transmission shop today!
Old 10-13-20, 05:45 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Djmatt8787
Actually, I had to clear my codes 6 times while driving, to make it the last 15 miles home.

retraced every wire last night that was part of the Knock Sensor project. I found one ground loose on the back of the air intake (?) running to the passenger wheel well. the ground under my battery was loose as well, so i cranked down on it. cleared the codes last night and I drove almost 100 miles today with no hesitation, no sputter, no clicking like electricity arcing from places unknown!

Salim, Jgoorn, you are all awesome for keeping this much info available for these cars and SO glad I read this forum before going to the transmission shop today!
I hope some kind person to list the number of ground wires {hidden} and update the knock sensor DIY.

Salim
Old 06-29-22, 11:23 AM
sabrinarx3
2nd gear

I have a 2001 automatic fwd rx300 that just got a check engine light for a transmission shift solenoid - the code was p0770 for solenoid E. I am having this whining noise too and a mechanic said it seems to be the power steering pump - granted, I was really low on power steering for a while so I am not ruling out what he thinks it is.

As for the transmission issue, I was reaching 2nd to 3rd gear driving like normal to get back up to speed after a red light turned green and felt the car shudder slightly as if I was shifting a manual car. I've been driving it like a baby staying just at 2 rpm. I had a transmission flush done yesterday and new power steering fluid and it feels like it drives more smoothly again but the whining still persists.

Not sure if it is in fact the power steering pump, or if it could potentially be the alternator, etc.

Did you replace the shift solenoid after getting the code? I've seen people say to change the sensors too or clean them up but I am not sure.