RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

AC repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-14, 05:50 PM
gvcenter54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC repair

hello everyone,

I have a 1999 rx300 2wd and have had some issues in last year with the AC . last summer (2013) before I was got my AC certification threw the army, I threw in a can of AC fix it with the sealer in it. AC worked good until about 2 months ago. brought it into my bay at work evacuated the line and did a leak test on it. passes the test and recharged with 1.50 lb of r134. AC has been working fine for the last 2 or 3 weeks and then all the sudden today I jump in the car and AC quit. compressor is not locked in and spinning and I reset the AC system and did a diagnostic check on the monitor in the cab. only code that popped up was (23) and its the pressure switch from what I read on here from the list of codes that can pop up. correct me if im wrong but its probably just a leak somewhere in the system. I didn't change out the filter dryer last time recharging the system and will do so this time. anyone have thoughts on this??[url]
Old 07-23-14, 06:48 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!

I had some problems with my AC recently. I had SUPER high low side pressure and almost NONE on the high side.

My problem was that the car is 11 years old. So I but the bullet, had a shop evacuate the system.

I ended up buying a new condenser off Amazon, genuine Denso with new dryer (comes preoiled as well). The refrigerant control valve in the compressor was clearly bad so I changed the compressor and expansion valve for good measure. New o-rings all around.

Evacuated and recharged... Done!!

The expansion valve is behind the instrument panel on LHD models. I replaced the light bulb for the "D" while I had the cluster out.

ICE COLD A/C... Cost about 400 bucks. Now it's a 100% new A/C system. Pretty easy, took me 1/2 a day.
Old 07-23-14, 08:12 PM
AlanVR
Driver School Candidate

Default AC repair

Hi Jim and GV. This thread interests me since I was looking for info on my AC pump making a fluttering sound when the system is on. I have a 1999 RX300. The AC blows tepid. The fluttering sound speeds up as my RPM's increase. I have to shut off the AC when I use the heater and not use blended air so the pump doesn't run.This has been going on for a couple of months.I don't have the gauges or any other AC tools to test the system. So I could some suggestions on where to start. I found a pump/compressor on Amazon.
This is the first post I checked when I started a thread search.
Thanks,
Alan
Old 07-23-14, 08:26 PM
gvcenter54
Driver School Candidate

hey guys, I understand how to do all the AC evacuation compressor replacement but as far as the dash and evaporator I have no clue how to get into the dash to check it. seems as though its a mess and I don't wanna ruin anything inside. as far as your noise id say maybe your belt tension is loose and go from there. mine was look and it did squeal a lot and did kind of the same noise at times. you mentioned the D light was out on the dash, how did you do about changing that out? mines out as well. but ive got 221k on mine so I really don't want to throw money at it knowing there known for motors going out quick and in a hurry, you stated it was $400 for the parts and all? that you doing the work for what? my condenser is starting to have the fins fall out when I was it out but other than that nothing major. do your guys engine fans never work or work only when its very hot out or its low on coolant. ive only heard mine turn on like 3 times is all since ive owned it over 2 years.
Old 07-23-14, 08:33 PM
gvcenter54
Driver School Candidate

Alan- as far as compressor pumps google search them. I found some online for 179 brand new and not remanufactured. I cant see spending 300 for a compressor when there all built the same in theory . just turn your car on full speed on the dial for air and pop open the hood and see if the noise is from the belt or not. also check to see if it the blend door under glove box making the noise I see on youtube that's a known problem, but is a pain in the *** to change I guess.

JIM- when I put my car on my machine at work my high and low sides read high. I know that low should be less than high by a lot and both were around 180-200 ish. idk what the right pressures should be but mine ran like a champ for over 2 weeks before it went out. Im guessing my drier is clogged bad and that's the reason I got problems. my wifes grandmother owned it before us and im not sure the history on the car.
Old 07-23-14, 08:35 PM
gvcenter54
Driver School Candidate

can you post pics of where the exspansion valve is located? or general area and description where its at more in depth.
Old 07-24-14, 12:18 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

Sorry... I'm working

Ok, take out the instrument cluster as described on this site. Do a search for "Drive Light Bulbed Burned Out". That will get it out.

Now look inside to the top right. There will be some silver AC lines covered in black glued on insulation. Rip that crap off. There's your expansion valve. Uses Hex-4mm I believe to remove. There are 2 into the evaporator and 2 into the expansion valve.

I bough my AC compressor off of Amazon too. The o-ring kit and any expansion valve can be obtained at any auto parts store. I personally like Advance.

I had my motor out, so when I changed my compressor I used LOADS OF ANTI-SEIZE on the threads. Makes it easy for service in the future.
Old 07-24-14, 12:27 PM
jimsRX300
Driver

These 300's are old. If you plan on keeping it I would just rebuild the whole AC system.

My engine blew, I swapped it, I'm stuck with mine.

A 99? = JUNK YARD PARTS... 25 bucks! Throw a new expansion valve in 20 bucks and replace the o-rings. Then 30 bucks in refrigerant and some PAG 46 oil for good measure.

I hope mine burns or is stolen on a regular basis. Better yet... HAIL STORM I'll take a little insurance payback. Just buy a new hood, fix the dents in the roof... Good to go!
Old 07-24-14, 06:32 PM
gvcenter54
Driver School Candidate

yeah im not going to complain about my rx really lol its really been a good car to me, not very thrilled about the gold and silver paint on it cause its kind of a old woman color but its been a great car so far. old girls got 221 on the dash and hasn't really given me trouble. old thing that messes up time to time is the drivers window switch doesn't work and you gotta play with the key and switch sometimes. changed all the fluid in it few months ago and spark plug. jesus that was a pain in the *** with the throttle body in the way!! thank you for all your help sir!!
Old 07-27-14, 09:26 PM
AlanVR
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys, I'll give it a go.
Alan
Old 07-28-14, 12:11 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Hello I'm having some issues with my a/c I've only have got 1 response and it's not helping at all can you guys check it out and give me your thoughts this is the name of it 🔜-> "HELP! A/c cooling problem" thanks!
Old 07-28-14, 04:06 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
Hello I'm having some issues with my a/c I've only have got 1 response and it's not helping at all can you guys check it out and give me your thoughts this is the name of it 🔜-> "HELP! A/c cooling problem" thanks!
Please cut and paste the link. Make it easy for members to respond.

Salim
Old 07-28-14, 04:10 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

So sorry I didn't post a link I was so exhausted and it didn't even come to mind, here it is https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=750908