RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New To Me Rx300 Dome Light /keyless Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 08:04 PM
erale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Me Rx300 Dome Light /keyless Issues

So the dome light in my RX300 does not go off when you shut the doors unless you lock the doors. Is this normal? Not a huge problem but I am not in the habit of locking the car when in the garage so it's just a matter of time before I forget and have dead battery the next morning.

This may be related to the locks, not sure. I know a lot of people have had issues with the door locks. My passenger door lock will not work with the key from the outside. I think I can see that the rod is disconnected on the inside of the door so I need to get in there to take a look.

My car only came with one key without the keyless remote. I have figured I am pretty much screwed as far as trying to get a new remote key. Would it be possible to install an aftermarket keyless entry system. Seems like it should work on any car w/ power locks but I dont know if the cars immobilizer will keep something like that from working.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 05-29-14, 09:18 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,099 Likes on 989 Posts

Please read the sticky RX300 Mega thread ,,, having problems start there

There is a dealer programmable delay on the dome light. If you lock then the light will turn off immediately. Give it couple of minutes and see if the light turns off.

The locks are bit tricky. The key operates rods as well as it makes electrical contact through a switch. The electrical switch energizes the rest of the locks and window down action.

If you read the door lock DIY, the solution is pretty inexpensive.

The imobilizer will prevent the starting/running of the engine.

Salim
Old 05-29-14, 09:20 PM
gazi001
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by erale
So the dome light in my RX300 does not go off when you shut the doors unless you lock the doors. Is this normal? Not a huge problem but I am not in the habit of locking the car when in the garage so it's just a matter of time before I forget and have dead battery the next morning.

This may be related to the locks, not sure. I know a lot of people have had issues with the door locks. My passenger door lock will not work with the key from the outside. I think I can see that the rod is disconnected on the inside of the door so I need to get in there to take a look.

My car only came with one key without the keyless remote. I have figured I am pretty much screwed as far as trying to get a new remote key. Would it be possible to install an aftermarket keyless entry system. Seems like it should work on any car w/ power locks but I dont know if the cars immobilizer will keep something like that from working.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
Light should go off after some times if you do not lock the vehicle. How long you have the car? I think you have the keyless system installed in your RX. Does your key open all doors and globe box? it should be master key and you could programme keyless remote key.
Old 05-30-14, 09:02 AM
erale
Driver School Candidate

I have read the sticky's.

i've had the car a few weeks. The dome light stayed on a few hours the first time i noticed it. My key unlocks the drivers door and the back hatch. It does not open the passenger door. I thought that this was because the rod inside was disconnected. It looked like it when I opened the small screw hole cover on the end of the door. I am going to take a better look today. I will also check to see if the key locks/unlocks the glove box to give me a better idea if it is a master but i don't think it is.
Old 05-30-14, 01:35 PM
erale
Driver School Candidate

So I fixed the passenger door lock. the rod was just disconnected. The key I have unlocks the passenger door, the glove box and the back hatch. Is it safe to assume that they key i have is programmed as a master? still not sure how any of this would affect the dome light. I am thinking that one of the door switches my be bad and the circuit is stuck open.