RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Blue gray smoke coming from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 05:33 AM
ashman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kalali
This might explain your oil consumption and to a lesser degree the smoke. This type of driving tends to cause sludge build up which in turn can clog some of the smaller oil breathers and venting passages. Short distance combined with cold climate takes a toll on engine and transmissions as well as the cooling system since the fluids never get to operating temperature to burn off moisture but get warm enough to absorb it and keep it within the fluids to create sludge and cause rusting of cooling components. Take it on a nice long drive and keep the engine speed around 3500-4000 for a few minutes.
Originally Posted by sportsmom
wow you were right on!! just sludge!! So every once in a while I will need for speed. I remember my dad taking his 68 camero out to do this. Thanks again everyone!!! Love this forum.
Jill
See, an "Italian tune-up" isn't just for Ferraris, Maseratis and Alfas but works well on Japanese engines as well. Glad that seems to have fixed your problem.

Now all you have to do is find a new mechanic who is both competent and honest.
Old 03-24-14, 07:11 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

wow you were right on!! just sludge!! So every once in a while I will need for speed. I remember my dad taking his 68 camero out to do this. Thanks again everyone!!! Love this forum.
Jill
So, how were you able to make the sludge diagnosis? This is usually caused by lack of regular oil changes.
Old 03-24-14, 07:40 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

How were you able to "fix" it by giving it a good hard run?
Old 03-27-14, 10:16 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

If the smoke has been eliminated or subsided, I bet it's not sludge per se, but just oily build up on the catalytic converter. You need to get it nice and hot to get it to operate efficiently or it will clog and break. Long trips or sustained hard driving will get it hot.
Old 04-05-14, 11:49 AM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

No didn't fix it, only smoke lessened a little. So I found the info below and took it to a Lexus dealer and see below A HAH

http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/
Old 04-06-14, 05:50 AM
kalali
Pole Position

No didn't fix it, only smoke lessened a little. So I found the info below and took it to a Lexus dealer and see below A HA

http://www.oilgelsettlement.com/
And what did the dealer say? Looks like you forgot to share that tidbit.
Old 04-07-14, 04:02 AM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

They took the engine apart and took photos which were forwarded to Lexus along with recommendations. Calling Lexus today to see what they say. Only 73000 miles on it.
Old 04-07-14, 05:35 AM
zmatt00
Driver School Candidate

sportsmom - you have a 2002 just as i do, and i only have 60k miles. The oil gel settlement only provides for 8 years of protection from the original sales date. Didn't they deny your claim on that basis alone?

I have not bothered to take my vehicle to the dealership for just this reason. I'd be very interested in knowing that there is a way to get relief even though one's vehicle has exceeded the 8 year settlement period.
Old 05-12-14, 12:15 PM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

So Lexus finally said no and I am having trouble find a engine mechanic to even consider doing this job. I don't know if they can't handle or don't want to. Can you guys just give me a handle on what might need to be done. Why would sludge build up cause grey smoke? and why when it has been sitting for a while is when it is worse. Just need some ideas on how to nail down a few options and what have to be fixed or replaced. Thanks,, Toyota won't touch it says I have to go to Lexus. I took to 2 engine mechanics and both kinda backed down and didn't want to touch it. I guess more of a hassle than the money.
Old 05-12-14, 12:36 PM
sportsmom
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know a trusted mechanic in Pittsburgh PA?
Old 05-12-14, 12:41 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Anyone know a trusted mechanic in Pittsburgh PA?
Yelp.com would probably be your best bet. Here's the top 8 mechs I found in your area.

http://www.yelp.com/c/pittsburgh/autorepair

Otherwise, do a search in the messageboards or just Google.
Old 05-12-14, 01:51 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

So Lexus finally said no and I am having trouble find a engine mechanic to even consider doing this job. I don't know if they can't handle or don't want to. Can you guys just give me a handle on what might need to be done. Why would sludge build up cause grey smoke? and why when it has been sitting for a while is when it is worse. Just need some ideas on how to nail down a few options and what have to be fixed or replaced. Thanks,, Toyota won't touch it says I have to go to Lexus. I took to 2 engine mechanics and both kinda backed down and didn't want to touch it. I guess more of a hassle than the money.
I'd have to agree on the hassle part. It is a big job.
To get an idea of whats involved watch this video.
At 3:40 is when the mechanic approximately opens the rear valve cover...at 5:00 is when he opens the front valve cover. Then add the time it takes to remove the cams and scrape any thick bits of sludge, then go over everything with a chemical solution to dilute and clean up the rest...then reassemble each side x2!
Hopefully sludge is apparent under one side only.

the grey smoke is from some of the sludge buildup behind the intake valve is pulled by the incoming air and dripped into the combustion chamber.
Old 05-13-14, 05:17 PM
kalali
Pole Position

It's a thankless job for a mechanic because there is more crappy work involved than a regular engine rebuild estimated hours account for. You might be better off buying a rebuild engine than trying to rebuild yours. With the exception of the crank (may be), There is not whole lot parts than be salvaged from your motor.