RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Scored some parts today for the RX300

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 12:18 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scored some parts today for the RX300

I was able to get a bunch of parts for my RX today, I got a set of rubber floor mats, lo/hi heated seat switches (I hope I can replace the older on/off switch in the 2000, both front seats, and the wood grain shifter assembly, the center wood piece(don't need just grabbed it) the 2 servos form the passenger side, I know one of them is the temp mix valve and I hope it works...., and the roof rack.

I really wanted the roof rack, now I can strap my dip net to the top of it during Salmon Season...I got the seats since mine have several good tears on the side of the bottom cushions, this one has a crack on the drivers bottom cushion side and the passengers is tear free. the leather looks to be about in the same shape as what I have. I had no way to check to make sure they work or if the heaters work. If all else fails I can swap the bottom leather to my old seats. HE said they drove the car there to pull the engine so there is a chance it all works. The car got whacked in the back right behind the rear tires and hasn't been sitting long at all.

I'm going to try and snag next month hopefully, the stock wheels (we run summer tires/ winter studs so extra wheels would be nice) The running boards and the rear spoiler. those however would also need to be painted before I can use them.

I would like to grab the wood steering wheel, but from all the posts I've seen I'm still not sure if it will work with 2000. I would be getting the wheel and the air bag, I'm guessing for real cheap, they don't have the desire to part it out and try to e-bay stuff they want fast cash and to the crusher. The car is stored at a the owners friends house so it has a shelf life before it has to go.

The car has been listed for parts for over a month and there have been no takers, it was purchased as a salvage to replace an engine in a Toyota so he bought the car cheaper than just a used engine not in the car, so what he gets from parts at this point is gravy to him. The market for RX parts up here is pretty small for the 1st gens it appears.

Some picts:
Roof Rack

Seats & parts and mats:

Old 01-12-14, 05:56 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice find! The seats look a bit worn, but I suspect you got them very cheap!

I recall reading the wood shifter won't work in 2000's, hopefully I'm wrong and it will work.
Old 01-12-14, 11:38 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

I really wanted the black plastic piece with the shift gates on it since the PO tried to drill a hole through it to mount a switch twice and then decided to mount the switch somewhere else, we couldn't figure out how to get it off and he said take the whole thing....

I got all the parts for $300.00. the seat are a bit worn, but less worn than what I have. they are also pretty dirty. Once I make sure the seat heaters work I may dismantle the old seats and use the heating pads to replace the ones in my wife's MDX that only partly work.

Edit: I went out and looked at it, I haven't dismantled the console to look at the old shifter, but it looks like the 2001 has a different ETC snow switch that I would have to swap. It looks like it lacks the etc power mode of the 2000. it's a push button rather than a toggle.

Last edited by AKBimmer; 01-12-14 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 12:25 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Tonight I got the new wood shifter installed. It installs just like the old leather one, the only thing I had to do was swap the esc snow/power switch since the 2001 RX300 the shifter came from just had a push button switch with snow mode only.

The heated seat switches won't work they use one more wire than the on/off switch in the 2000. If you plug one in it will blow the gauge fuse and climate control, heated seats, and the esc switch won't work....

I was going to swap the air temp servo since I had all that apart to swap the shifter and discovered the servo arm had jumped the track so it was not working very well, I popped it in the track and it works fine. So I guess I have a spare servo if it does fail....

I got the roof rack put on, I'm glad I got that, that is the main thing I was after.

Now that I have the wood shifter I want the wood steering wheel.....

some picts...

Old 01-19-14, 05:51 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to see I was wrong! That looks' great!

Excited to see what you do with the steering wheel.
Old 01-19-14, 06:51 AM
kalali
Pole Position

Good work. What's that blue box behind the lower dash with a little red LED and an adjustment screw? Alarm system?
Old 01-19-14, 12:24 PM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

That is the RF transmitter box for the rear aftermarket dvd system. I think it is connected to the radio antennae I tune it to a radio station and it plays the audio on the car speakers. It has some feed back from the engine I'd like to figure out how to get rid of.

The cool part about this setup is has an aux in, so I got an old analog ipod cord and connected a ipod 30 pin Bluetooth adapter to it and I can stream Pandora from my galaxy s4, or listen to mp3s. The kids can connect an ipad or other idevice and watch movies. The dvd player part doesn't work so I'll probably get another one to put in there at some point.
Old 01-19-14, 03:54 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AKBimmer
That is the RF transmitter box for the rear aftermarket dvd system. I think it is connected to the radio antennae I tune it to a radio station and it plays the audio on the car speakers. It has some feed back from the engine I'd like to figure out how to get rid of.

The cool part about this setup is has an aux in, so I got an old analog ipod cord and connected a ipod 30 pin Bluetooth adapter to it and I can stream Pandora from my galaxy s4, or listen to mp3s. The kids can connect an ipad or other idevice and watch movies. The dvd player part doesn't work so I'll probably get another one to put in there at some point.
I think you can get rid of the engine noise with a ground loop isolator.
Old 01-19-14, 06:17 PM
Z07
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah a .5 micro-farad cap between the +12v and ground for the device if it is noise coming from the power line. If the noise is being picked up by the line in from the DVD then rerouting the run or using twisted and/or shielded conductors should help.
Old 01-19-14, 06:38 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me know if you end up doing the wood steering wheel swap. Looks like your old wheel is in good shape. I may buy it from you if you sell it.
Old 02-06-14, 01:20 AM
AKBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Well I attempted to install the new old less worn out seats today and ran into a problem with the electronic part of the new seats.

The seats are from a 2001 and I have a 2000. The 01s had hi/low heated seats, the 00s had on/off heated seats. This appears to be the problem. when I install the 01 seat and plug it in everything works (all the motors and lumber) except the seat belt light always blinks even if the seat belt is on, unless you turn on the heated seat using the on/off switch. The switch won't light up, but the seat belt light will no longer function at all, and the seat doesn't get warm. So I had a stroke of brilliance (so I thought) and I grabbed the 01 hi/low switch and plug it in and the seat belt light works right but as soon as you flip the switch it blows the seat heater fuse.

Has any one had this issue? I'm not sure what is different in the heat setup between the two, but I want to avoid swapping the seat guts from one seat to the other or swapping the leather from one to the other.