RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

De-slugging....is it worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 08:29 PM
toy2g
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default De-slugging....is it worth the price?

I called the dealer yesterday and asked about cost of having the sludge removed from the engine of my very well used RX. He said it ranges from 350-1200 dollars. Does this sound right? Has anyone had it done?

What should I really expect to pay and is it worth it at 260k.

Note: I can see quite a bit of sludge with my scope, so I know it's there.
Old 10-27-13, 09:02 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Are you burning oil or hear metal slapping noise? If not, just get on good oil and regular oil change. Lexmex introduced me to Castroil European formula ... a bit expensive, but lot cheaper than the price range dealer told you.

Also post pictures if you can. With that many miles and RX engine running at elevated miles, you get varnish (thin coat of dried out oil). If you see lumped oil like tar then you oil jell.

Salim
Old 10-27-13, 09:06 PM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by salimshah
Are you burning oil or hear metal slapping noise? If not, just get on good oil and regular oil change. Lexmex introduced me to Castroil European formula ... a bit expensive, but lot cheaper than the price range dealer told you.

Also post pictures if you can. With that many miles and RX engine running at elevated miles, you get varnish (thin coat of dried out oil). If you see lumped oil like tar then you oil jell.

Salim
I will try to get a pic of it (the scope screen is only 2"). It looks like black tar..not jelly, just a scorched black and dark brown coating. It runs quite and good IMO. No smoke either, the only issue I have really is the slow shifting tranny when it's cold.

Do I dare try the DIY engine flush?
Old 10-28-13, 04:59 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I think you are looking at the coating that is on the baffle. You can NOT peer into the valvetrain by looking at the fill hole on these 1MZ-FE's, there is a baffle blocking it.

You need to pull of the front valve cover to really find out if there is sludge. It's a 15 minute job.

Don't do anything else till you confirm that there really is sludge in there.
Old 10-28-13, 05:49 AM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
I think you are looking at the coating that is on the baffle. You can NOT peer into the valvetrain by looking at the fill hole on these 1MZ-FE's, there is a baffle blocking it.

You need to pull of the front valve cover to really find out if there is sludge. It's a 15 minute job.

Don't do anything else till you confirm that there really is sludge in there.
Thank you for the advise, i will humbly take it and pull the VC this week. If you don't mind, i will post a pic for your opinion.
Old 10-28-13, 06:45 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toy2g
Thank you for the advise, i will humbly take it and pull the VC this week. If you don't mind, i will post a pic for your opinion.
You're welcome!

I look forward to seeing the picture.
Old 10-28-13, 08:24 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I will try to get a pic of it (the scope screen is only 2"). It looks like black tar..not jelly, just a scorched black and dark brown coating. It runs quite and good IMO. No smoke either, the only issue I have really is the slow shifting tranny when it's cold.

Do I dare try the DIY engine flush?
That is normal. There are no other symptoms that you describe would lead me to think there is an oil gelling issue.

I do not like additives and flushes. I would say, just follow regular oil change (with good quality oil and filter).

When the engine and transmission are cold, your upper gears are locked out. Keep low rpm < 3K till fluids warm up.

Just use and enjoy your RX .. You are close to 1/4 million miles ... enjoy the blessings.

Salim
Old 10-28-13, 11:32 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Just start using Pennzoil Ultra. Great stuff with super detergent additives.
Old 10-30-13, 04:11 PM
toy2g
Driver

You're welcome!

I look forward to seeing the picture.

I took it to the dealer and had the T-belt, water pump, drive belt, cam seal, crank seal and plugs changed.
They recommended a new valve cover gasket and a few other things but I was not prepared to spend more than a grand on this thing right now.

The said there was no serious engine sludge and the only real issue is a bad cat and cracked exhaust. So I guess I will go that direction for now.
Old 10-30-13, 05:02 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I took it to the dealer and had the T-belt, water pump, drive belt, cam seal, crank seal and plugs changed.
They recommended a new valve cover gasket and a few other things but I was not prepared to spend more than a grand on this thing right now.

The said there was no serious engine sludge and the only real issue is a bad cat and cracked exhaust. So I guess I will go that direction for now.
You went to the Lexus dealer for that?

Ouch, that must have hurt the wallet!

Keep in mind, if you must go to a dealer for service you can always go to the Toyota dealer if you want to save a few bucks.
Old 10-30-13, 06:01 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

i used to have a sludge problem in mine, causing major oil consumption after 1 hr highway driving. I attributed the consumption to the sludge that clogged up my pvc system. At 150k or so, I've sea foamed the intake/pvc system and added seafoam to the oil prior to the last 2 oil changes to dissolve the sludge.
The RX no longer burns oil and the oil is alot cleaner looking after the past couple OCI's.
Old 10-30-13, 07:29 PM
toy2g
Driver

You went to the Lexus dealer for that?

Ouch, that must have hurt the wallet!

Keep in mind, if you must go to a dealer for service you can always go to the Toyota dealer if you want to save a few bucks.
It was painful, but I did take it to a Toyota dealer, the service our 6 toyota vehicles so they gave me a little break on the price. Still hurt though.
Old 10-30-13, 07:29 PM
toy2g
Driver

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
i used to have a sludge problem in mine, causing major oil consumption after 1 hr highway driving. I attributed the consumption to the sludge that clogged up my pvc system. At 150k or so, I've sea foamed the intake/pvc system and added seafoam to the oil prior to the last 2 oil changes to dissolve the sludge.
The RX no longer burns oil and the oil is alot cleaner looking after the past couple OCI's.

How much do you add? Do you just dump it in right before the oil change?
Old 10-31-13, 03:36 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Both instances I added a 1/2 can to the oil and 1/2 through the pcv hose for top end cleaning. Do the top end first, as residues will be burnt off during a short drive.

Do not drive hard or for an extended period of time if its in the oil. Twice around the block is plenty. Then drain and refill with fresh oil.
Old 11-10-13, 07:56 AM
Dan0902
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eliminating Sludge

Instead of adding half of a can add about 1 ounce per quart of oil at oil changes it will break down the sludge. Also use synthetic oil to prevent future occurences. I do this on every other oil change to maintain.