RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Rough Idling, CEL and brakes become hard and don't work right

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-12, 03:29 PM
TCAL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Idling, CEL and brakes become hard and don't work right

This is a follow up to the p1349 code post . . . I noticed that the car was running normal then the CEL came on and began running rough. The brakes did not function properly. They came to a hard end but did not stop the RX effectively. This was intermittent but mostly poor braking as i described. I shut the RX down for a couple of hours and started back up. Still had CEL and brakes were fine. This happened about a week ago and disappeared now returned. Any ideas?
Old 11-19-12, 02:25 PM
TCAL
Driver School Candidate

Toyota garage just called and said that they recomment timing belt, vvt system, etc . . . basically a replacement engine for $3500. I think they are trying to rake me over the coals. The CEL is intermittent and teh car runs great when off. It seems more like a OCV issue. Anyone with any thoughts?
Old 11-19-12, 03:54 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

I would be more concerned about the brakes - did the Toyota dealership mention anything about that?

Is there another Toyota dealership in your area?
Old 11-19-12, 07:15 PM
TCAL
Driver School Candidate

Yes. Taking it on Wednesday. The brakes are a concern and that was not mentioned.
Old 11-20-12, 07:02 AM
TCAL
Driver School Candidate

The issue with the braking is all related, per the Toyota master tech. I called Lexus to see if there was anything tha they would honor and they instructed me to take it to a lexus garage for analysis. The issue seems that it should be honored regardless of the mileage since this is a major design flaw, IMO.
Old 11-20-12, 08:00 AM
Dadikins
Pole Position

I find it hard to believe that a CEL would cause an issue with braking. I suspect that you have two unrelated issues (is your BRAKE light on the dash working?)

In any case, good luck & please keep us posted
Old 11-22-12, 11:39 AM
TCAL
Driver School Candidate

The brake light is not on. What happens is vacuum is lost when the engine cannot operate properly and that is when the brakes are lost because the booster does not operate properly. I have a suspicion tha he engine is gelled. I replaced the OCV a couple of years ago and he explained that the OCV becomes plugged from the sludge. If I replaced the OCV valve again, it may work but will have to replace again in the future if the engine continues to run. The research shows that there is an issue with the engine. I am religious about oil changes and get them done every 3000 miles. The previous owner was a maintenance fan as well. The car got the knock sensor upgrade when the previous owner had it. I call Lexus and they said I have to take it to a Lexus garage and they opened a file on the issue, awaiting Lexus garage feedback.
Old 11-30-12, 12:11 AM
opor9
Driver School Candidate

Question OCV valve

Originally Posted by TCAL
The brake light is not on. What happens is vacuum is lost when the engine cannot operate properly and that is when the brakes are lost because the booster does not operate properly. I have a suspicion tha he engine is gelled. I replaced the OCV a couple of years ago and he explained that the OCV becomes plugged from the sludge. If I replaced the OCV valve again, it may work but will have to replace again in the future if the engine continues to run. The research shows that there is an issue with the engine. I am religious about oil changes and get them done every 3000 miles. The previous owner was a maintenance fan as well. The car got the knock sensor upgrade when the previous owner had it. I call Lexus and they said I have to take it to a Lexus garage and they opened a file on the issue, awaiting Lexus garage feedback.
Hi , I am Paul from Thailand. I got the same problem vacuum is lost when the engine cannot operate properly and that is when the brakes are lost because the booster does not operate properly. What and where OCV valve? RX300 1999. Thank for your reply.
Old 11-30-12, 02:34 PM
TCAL
Driver School Candidate

I guess the RX has 2 Oil Control Valves (OCV). Not sure how to do the DIY, but the one in question is the VViT
Old 12-04-12, 07:37 AM
opor9
Driver School Candidate

HI,I still have problem with my brake system.It hard to stop at only idle speed but when more than 1200rpm up it ok.I try to test booster brake by take off vacuum hose from it and seal hose to unleak. I bring the another vacuum hose that long 3m. from my Honda car to my rx300 brak e booster start up both engine Honda , RX300.I drive my RX300 slowly and brake it stop I test it 3-4 time.It ok ,The booster not lost its vacuum after my test I put every thing back in original place.My Rx300 still bad brake like it lost vacuum when I press the second time to brake.I had DIY to clean IAC valve, OCV valves by look at this CL club .Hey TCAL thank for your repley ,U mean VVTI not open?Thank a lot for all I still waitting for any help. Love this club so much. Paul