RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Do I throw in my RX300 towel ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 02:43 PM
mschozen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Do I throw in my RX300 towel ??

Hello to all....

I have an 2000 RX 300 and LOVE my truck with 148,141 miles... but I just came fromthe dealership and this was the recommendations:

1. Exhaust Leaks - start with replacing gaskets - $572.00
2. Rear Main Seal - $1.946.00
3. Both rear Axles Leaking - $820.00

So needless to say I am floored considering that I always go to the dealership for repairs and now all of a sudden this....

My question is should I get the work done, or since my "Jazzy" is 13 years old, do I say goodbye

Thanks for all input
Old 10-27-12, 03:25 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My recommendation is, that if your RX is not rusted (Ohio), and you are the original owner and have taken care of the car for the most part, then you have to ask yourself the question: Do you want to invest 3300 to fix this car or spend 10's of thousands to get an equivalent. These cars do require repairs at some point (all do) and at the age and mileage of yours it would stand to reason. These cars are otherwise bulletproof if you take care of them so again, it depends on if you want to keep the car, spend a little or take out a loan for a new one. You didn't say what specific dealership you took it to...keep in mind you can take it to a Toyota dealership and get the work done for a lot less.
Old 10-27-12, 03:29 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I can see where you would be tempted to throw in the towel.

Consider: (1) what would you replace the RX300 with?, (2) can you find an independent mechanic who could do the repairs at a much lower cost? It is usually less expensive to repair than buy a new car because of the rapid initial depreciation on a new car. Used cars are more competitive with repairing.

Since you are in Ohio, has body rust surfaced yet? If you have rust issues, that would be one of the only things to cause me to lean toward throwing in the towel.
Old 10-27-12, 04:14 PM
mschozen
Driver School Candidate

Default Reply

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
My recommendation is, that if your RX is not rusted (Ohio), and you are the original owner and have taken care of the car for the most part, then you have to ask yourself the question: Do you want to invest 3300 to fix this car or spend 10's of thousands to get an equivalent. These cars do require repairs at some point (all do) and at the age and mileage of yours it would stand to reason. These cars are otherwise bulletproof if you take care of them so again, it depends on if you want to keep the car, spend a little or take out a loan for a new one. You didn't say what specific dealership you took it to...keep in mind you can take it to a Toyota dealership and get the work done for a lot less.
Thank you for this, no I am not the first owner, I am the second..it was a fleet car. I took it to a Lexus Dealership here in Columbus, Ohio... I didn't know I could take it to a Toyota dealership.... That is good info !

Thank you
Old 10-27-12, 04:18 PM
mschozen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bob2200
I can see where you would be tempted to throw in the towel.

Consider: (1) what would you replace the RX300 with?, (2) can you find an independent mechanic who could do the repairs at a much lower cost? It is usually less expensive to repair than buy a new car because of the rapid initial depreciation on a new car. Used cars are more competitive with repairing.

Since you are in Ohio, has body rust surfaced yet? If you have rust issues, that would be one of the only things to cause me to lean toward throwing in the towel.
REPLY : It doesn't have any rust at all...I keep it in my garage, especially in the winter. I have been readiing reviews to find a mechanic but no luck so far....and will keep lookin. You are correct, it would be more to get a new car.... Thank you for your advise!!!!
Old 10-27-12, 04:26 PM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Im sure there is at least one decent mechanic near you. It dont have to be a dealership. I would take it to an independent garage with a decent rep. and ask or pay for an inspection. And actually look at the leaking parts yourself. Dont believe everything you hear...
Old 10-27-12, 04:37 PM
mschozen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bobster999
Im sure there is at least one decent mechanic near you. It dont have to be a dealership. I would take it to an independent garage with a decent rep. and ask or pay for an inspection. And actually look at the leaking parts yourself. Dont believe everything you hear...
Thank you I will reach out to some of my co-workers that has a Lexus and see where they take their cars.

Thank you again... This is a good media for Lexus owners !
Old 10-27-12, 06:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Check www.cartalk.com for mechanics near you.

Also, are you sure you actually need those 3 things? They could just be pulling your chain to make some money. I've seen it happen before and wouldn't be surprised if thats the case here.

An independent mechanic can do all of those things for much cheaper. Also, are you noticing any drops of oil underneath the car? If not, then it really isn't necessary to change the rear main seal. Where is the exhaust leaking from? Flex Pipe?

Last edited by hypervish; 10-27-12 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 07:19 PM
mschozen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Check www.car-talk.com for mechanics near you.

Also, are you sure you actually need those 3 things? They could just be pulling your chain to make some money. I've seen it happen before and wouldn't be surprised if thats the case here.

An independent mechanic can do all of those things for much cheaper. Also, are you noticing any drops of oil underneath the car? If not, then it really isn't necessary to change the rear main seal. Where is the exhaust leaking from? Flex Pipe?
I have never seen any oil under my car, plus I always get my oil changed at the Lexus dealership and thiswas the fir time I heard of all of this.

I read some of your post ... should I try that Auto RX ? ?

The paper just stated multiple exhaust leaks- need to starrt with replaceing gaskets ......

Thank you for the website as well...
Old 10-27-12, 07:28 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

There are no exhaust gaskets that could possibly cost $572. Get someone else to look at it and see what condition the exhaust is in.

If your main seal is not leaking enough to drip, then forget they ever said it.

Get a second opinion on the rear axles too. That's not a normal repair on these cars.
Old 10-27-12, 07:36 PM
mschozen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy07
There are no exhaust gaskets that could possibly cost $572. Get someone else to look at it and see what condition the exhaust is in.

If your main seal is not leaking enough to drip, then forget they ever said it.

Get a second opinion on the rear axles too. That's not a normal repair on these cars.
Should I get a white sheet to lay under my car overnight to see if any leaks are anywhere ??

Thank you for your advise !
Old 10-27-12, 08:29 PM
saudiboy
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mschozen
Should I get a white sheet to lay under my car overnight to see if any leaks are anywhere ??

Thank you for your advise !
I was told the same thing about my main seal, and I have yet to see a drop. Until I do, I'm not doing squat about it.

I made a similar choice at 105,000 when my tranny blew. I'm about to pass 200,000. Best money I ever spent.
Old 10-27-12, 08:41 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you hear a louder exhaust? That would be your first clue for an exhaust leak.
Put cardboard or something underneath your car and run if at idle with the cardboard underneath it for 10 min and leave it overnight and see if you have any oil. If not, Don't worry about it. For the axels, try to find an independent shop. Stick to the dealer for oil changes if it makes you feel better, but for bigger repairs, take it to a trusted indy. Did you do the timing belt at the dealer?
Old 10-27-12, 09:36 PM
tllee
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If dealer's advices and estimates are trustable; the world will be perfect tomorrow. One of my friends, send her car to a Long Island Lexus dealer for 36000 miles maintanence, guess how much is the total? $2500!! I checked the bill, the thing dealer really did are oil change, air filter change AND rest are all checks(fluid checked,brake checked, trans axles checked,.......).
I'll say that dealer's eyes are totally different and very expensive from us. They just need to take a look at our car and they can charge us an arm and leg. They can think any number they're happy with and give us an estimate.
Change an exhaust gasket for more than $500, tell them go to hell. Find a local mechanic,it will cost you much less.
Old 10-28-12, 06:36 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Many times the shop will say something is leaking and try to sell someone thats ignorant about cars. The truth is that they wont differentiate between a pouring leak and what is known as "seeping". Many seals will seep very small amounts of oil over time but that dont mean you should pay to replace a seal just because of a small seeping. If oil is not on the ground then at best its just seeping and needs no attention. If you dont hear an exaust leak and you get no diag codes then ignore that "money grab" also. Be informed and dont be a victim. Of course there are times when legitimate repairs are needed but unfortunately many are not.

Quick Reply: Do I throw in my RX300 towel ??