RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Another ATF besides Dexron for the P/S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 07:16 PM
CharBaby
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another ATF besides Dexron for the P/S?

I have had a bit of difficulty with our Power Steering on our '01 RX-300

2 summers ago(2010) I had to replace the P/S return line.
Last summer(2011), I replaced the High Pressure P/S line. Both due to corrosion/rust and I didn't want to take any chances.

In both cases, I filled(replaced) the P/S fluid with Castrol IMV as it was the only ATF that I had.
In both cases, the P/S worked fine up until NOV 2011 when the P/S return was nil until the vehicle was driven for awhile.

My question is: Does the type of ATF really make a large bit of difference in these systems? Maybe it took 1&1/2 years to cause a loss of steering return. This loss of steering return/hard steering is the same, regardless of the outside temps, be it winter cold or srping time warm(as the temps are now!)

As I mentioned, after driving for awhile, the steering feels normal(somewhat!) but not completely!

There are no kinks in the lines that I replaced...I checked everything recently!

Is it known that other ATF's besides DEXRON will damage the P/S systems in Toyota/Lexus vehicles???

Or have others(like myself) tired different types of ATF with success???

Any comments will be welcome!

CB

Last edited by CharBaby; 05-15-12 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 07:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I've used Mobil 1 ATF for a long time and can't go wrong there, and worked like a charm south of the border.
Old 05-14-12, 07:35 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I've used Mobil 1 ATF for a long time and can't go wrong there, and worked like a charm south of the border.
X2 been good to me for a while now.
Old 05-15-12, 03:35 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Originally Posted by carguy07
X2 been good to me for a while now.
X3, Mobil 1 ATF in the PS is great!
I currently also have Castrol IMV in the power steering but eventually I'm going to replace it with Mobil 1 ATF ( I use a spray bottle to get the old fluid out).
Old 05-15-12, 05:20 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Thank you!
My title for this post is a bit misleading...Sorry!

I'm not really looking for another recomeded AFT for my P/S system and I realize that Mobil 1 syn ATF(which meets Dex/Merc spec) is OK to use for the P/S system in our Lexus' as I have used it in the past with success.

But, my real question is:

Could another type of ATF do damage to the P/S system???(such a T-IV or other friction modified atf's) such as the Castrol IMV as I mentioned in my post.

In my past with any vehicle, I have used just about any type of ATF(DexIII, MercV, ATF-4, or even Honda P/S fluid) in P/S systems that called for ATF. I have even used(as mentioned) Honda P/S Fluid in just about any P/S system regardless of the recomended P/S Fluid. Never an issue!

The lack of steering return that I am experiencing could just be coinsidence and I may just have a failing P/S PUMP!
I just wanted to throw this question out here in this Fourm to see if others are having success or failures using different typs of ATF in Toyota/Lexus P/S system.

Thank you,
CB
Old 05-15-12, 05:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I used to use a Valvoline synthetic power steering fluid before going to Mobil 1 ATF (this had to be like more than a decade ago when I first got my RX300), and not an issue there, but had more response with the Mobil 1. I don't remember offhand over the years of someone have issues with the power steering fluid and failure or some screwup unless the fluid was old an unchanged (that's a given).
Old 05-15-12, 06:59 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Thanks again!

I may first drain out the IMV and refill with Mobil 1(the cheap and simple things 1st) to see if this changes the steering feel and brings back my steering return. It's lower on the priority list as we can drive the RX this way for some time as long as it doesn't get worst.

The steering is a bit "CATCHY" when turning and I have to bring the wheel back to center on my own. It gets better while driving but, ONLY while driving. If the engine is shut off for even 10-15 minutes... "Here we go"! I have to start all over again when the engine is restarted.

Actually, I do feel comfortable using the IMV and also hearing that "hypervish" is also using the IMV makes me feel that the pump or pressure releaf valve isn't working properly any longer. I don't think that I can replace just the press. relf. valve on this particular P/S pump and I may have to replace the pump itself(another not so easy job!) but, it can wait for now!