RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Steering wheel Vibration/Wobble during braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 08:35 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
For sure.
Just as you suspected; you were right. I had my rotors, etc. inspected yesterday and they confirmed that it appears my front rotors are shot and my rear brake pads are done as well. Fortunately it appears my rear rotors are fine for right now.But they still want 469 bucks for replacing everything that needs replacing. And there is no way i can afford that right now. I just do not have the funds for that right now.

Last edited by matts6887; 06-12-15 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-12-15, 09:02 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,104 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
Just as you suspected; you were right. I had my rotors, etc. inspected yesterday and they confirmed that it appears my front rotors are shot and my rear brake pads are done as well. Fortunately it appears my rear rotors are fine for right now.But they still want 469 bucks for replacing everything that needs replacing. And there is no way i can afford that right now. I just do not have the funds for that right now.
Here is once again where rubber meets the road.

If you have room to do it and have jack + jack stands (for safety) and basic tools [+ know how] the rotors can be replaced by yourself]. Just price the rotors and see how much you can save. If the rotors have enough meat on them they can be turned.

DIY is easy [my rotors fall off on their own] but for some they can be stuck.

Salim
Old 06-12-15, 09:19 AM
matts6887
Racer

well salim; there are at least a couple factors that prevent this:

1. as i said; I DO NOT! have the $ to take care of this myself
2. I do not have the tools to do this
3: I do not have the room to do it
4. I do not have jacks or jack stands; and Im not about to buy them because I need that $ for other things right now.
5. I have a VERY SMALL garage barely big enough for my brothers car and mine and some boxes.
Old 06-12-15, 11:26 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by matts6887
well salim; there are at least a couple factors that prevent this:

1. as i said; I DO NOT! have the $ to take care of this myself
2. I do not have the tools to do this
3: I do not have the room to do it
4. I do not have jacks or jack stands; and Im not about to buy them because I need that $ for other things right now.
5. I have a VERY SMALL garage barely big enough for my brothers car and mine and some boxes.
i recall you mentioning your sisters husband can give you a hand with these simple maintenance items. Do you no longer have him as a resource?

Just an observation that it seems to be a recurring theme from your posts to ask opinions and advice on your wear and tear. On occasion it seems you plan to tackle them but don't appear to follow through on your other participating threads regarding., ..painting, power steering flush, oil changes, splash shield bolt..etc.

As far as your #2 , #3 and #4 points... anyone that is planning any DIY repair on anything should have a basic socket set. Go out and buy the most complete set you can afford at Sears during this upcoming fathers day sale. It will pay for itself 100 times over.
#3..your "very small garage is more than enough space to do a brake service. If you have enough space to open your doors, you have space.
#4, ask around your work or neighbors...most people are willing to lend jacks and stands for free..because they are sitting around 99% of the time and they don't want to hear about anyone being crushed fixing their car.

I completely understand about tight budgets but you dont need to spend big money on rotors and pad. Rotors and pads are cheap. Good quality centric rotors are roughly $25 through rock auto. You can get "lifetime" replacement pads at most part stores, and keep returning your used ones when they wear, if you are on a tight budget. They will last and stop reasonably well for daily driving provided you bed the pads in correctly.
Old 06-13-15, 09:51 AM
matts6887
Racer

Well; it looks like I am getting the job done for free. How you ask? Well; here is the scenario on this one: I spent about a good 15-20 minutes on the phone with the person that oversees the lexus dealer where we got my rx from. Explained to them the situation about the fact that on the vehicle inspection sheet from the dealer before we bought the rx; that it only gave me a "range" of percentage and not a exact percentage of what the rotors and and pads were at like they should have. Along with the fact that I should not have to replace this components after putting only 7000 miles on the vehicle since buying it. After i explained the situation to them and so forth; the woman i was talking to who's department not only oversees this dealer; but a bunch of other local dealers that are part of the Penske Automotive Group. For those who arent familiar with that name; that is automotive group started by well known and former race car driver Roger Penske(I believe that is his name). And their group manages and oversees a whole slew of auto dealers not just here in Arizona; but also in several other states as well. Now with that said; the woman I was talking to took notes in a email about everything i explained her and the fact that realistically i should not have to pay for this. So from what i understood about what she told me after she heard back from the vice president in the local business office for Penske; as well as the dealer's general manager; they agreed to take care of this issue for me at NO charge to me. So thats the story from me on this one. And oh yes believe me; I will be writing a thank you email to the general manager of the lexus dealer thanking him for taking the time to hear my side of things and for being understanding and willing to take care of this for me. m

Bottom line as well; this only goes to show anyone out there that may have a issue with a vehicle or any other product for that matter; you cant be afraid to speak your mind(in a professional manner of course) to get something repaired, replaced, etc that you feel you should not have to pay for. Sometimes its just a matter of explaining the circumstances, etc. and that you may feel you dont have to pay for something, etc. Thats all from me on this one.