RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Timing Belt replace

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-11, 11:45 AM
cha41i
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt replace

My 2010 RX reached 90,000 mile, dealer recommend me to replace the timing belt as schedule which will cost $800. plus to replace the water pump also since the engine block has been removed. My Q? is could I delay these service to future due to service cost. So far I never do any thing since I bought it new since 2001. only oil and tire and brake pad as schedule need

Thank
Cha Y
Old 05-28-11, 12:44 PM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by cha41i
My 2010 RX reached 90,000 mile, dealer recommend me to replace the timing belt as schedule which will cost $800. plus to replace the water pump also since the engine block has been removed. My Q? is could I delay these service to future due to service cost. So far I never do any thing since I bought it new since 2001. only oil and tire and brake pad as schedule need

Thank
Cha Y
You will get many opinions so I will get things started. I have been active on this forum and on a Toyota Camry forum and an Avalon forum for many years. I have read many, many posts where people say the TB on this engine has gone well over 150k miles and still looked good when changed. I have NEVER read one post where someone said their TB actually broke. Regarding the WP, I would change it only every other TB change UNLESS it is showing signs of leaking and/or the seal is sticking or feels "rough" when you turn it by hand. Lastly, you can get a much better price at a Toyota dealer or a reputable independent shop.
Old 05-28-11, 08:11 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
You will get many opinions so I will get things started. I have been active on this forum and on a Toyota Camry forum and an Avalon forum for many years. I have read many, many posts where people say the TB on this engine has gone well over 150k miles and still looked good when changed. I have NEVER read one post where someone said their TB actually broke. Regarding the WP, I would change it only every other TB change UNLESS it is showing signs of leaking and/or the seal is sticking or feels "rough" when you turn it by hand. Lastly, you can get a much better price at a Toyota dealer or a reputable independent shop.
X2 good advice.

Hey artbuc, are you the same artbuc on the MDX forum?
Old 05-28-11, 09:29 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Thank
Cha Y
The 90k belt replacement is based on something close to 0 failure rate. If you choose not to replace and the belt brakes or stretches, please do not blame the advice given here. You bear the risk and responsibility for not replacing the belt at the recommended interval. If you chose to postpone, then my question to you is ,,, at what milage would you replace the belt and how did you arrive at this number?

There are other things that need to be looked at in the timing belt drive train. Water pump is one of the things that is not recommended by Lexus to be replaced at 90k. I would say have it inspected and if there is a problem then replace it.

Salim
Old 05-29-11, 12:54 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say as Salim did, that what you get here is opinions, but often with experience to back up those opinions. IF you have the TB replaced, ask for them to return the old one to you and you will most likely find that it shows so little wear that it would likely go the life of the vehicle without breaking. They are NOT your ordinary TB. The WP is also NOT your ordinary WP. I will stick my neck out to say 2 things. #1, most likely ALL of the components in the TB area will go as long as you want to go before replacing, without failure. The one exception is the lower tensioner pulley, because it only has a single row of bearings whereas all of the other components has a double row. All statements are from personal experience, but as stated, my opinion, your decision. Sleep well though if you decide to delay the work, your decision, my experience.
I do have to say that the price is not cheap, I think as Artbuc said, you could do better at a Toyota dealer,they work on the same engine.
Old 05-29-11, 01:55 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy07
X2 good advice.

Hey artbuc, are you the same artbuc on the MDX forum?
Yep. My wife picked the MDX over another RX after her RX got totalled.
Old 05-30-11, 01:08 PM
cha41i
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Artbuc, Carguy07, Salimshah and Code58 for your reply. I will follow your advise, appreciated.

Cha Y
Old 05-30-11, 05:33 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Consensus on this board is that the timing belt can go at least 120,000 - 150,000 before the failure rate starts becoming significant (still extremely low). Of course, that's for the average car. YOUR car may be on the early end of the distribution Chances are you'll be fine though. If you need to get in there to do anything else (tensioners, cam seals, etc) you might want to swap out the timing belt. Water pumps seem to be indestructible.
Old 06-05-11, 08:43 AM
jsmith27
Driver School Candidate

I had my timing belt replaced at a Toyota dealership for $300.00. They inspect pullys and water pump while the parts are exposed. If there are no signs of wear they are not replaced, since lexus does not require these parts to be replaced.
Old 06-05-11, 09:43 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith27
I had my timing belt replaced at a Toyota dealership for $300.00. They inspect pullys and water pump while the parts are exposed. If there are no signs of wear they are not replaced, since lexus does not require these parts to be replaced.
Which dealer did you go to?
Old 06-05-11, 02:41 PM
jsmith27
Driver School Candidate

LaRiche in Findlay
Old 06-06-11, 09:17 PM
Hatchman
Rookie

Thank
Cha Y
A 2010? Did you mean 2001?

Originally Posted by artbuc
I've never read a post where one has broke either.

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Consensus on this board is that the timing belt can go at least 120,000 - 150,000 before the failure rate starts becoming significant (still extremely low). Of course, that's for the average car. YOUR car may be on the early end of the distribution Chances are you'll be fine though. If you need to get in there to do anything else (tensioners, cam seals, etc) you might want to swap out the timing belt. Water pumps seem to be indestructible.
Never heard of a water pump going out either.

Originally Posted by jsmith27
$300 is a great price. Nice find.

Here is my situation. 2002 RX AWD purchased at 93K miles at Carmax. What are the chances the TB was replaced? I'd say less than 40%. Good news, I changed out the tranny filter and it was not the stock filter and one of the magnets was missing, so someone had at least had the transmission pan down and the fluid changed at one time. Would have been nice if they had thrown the magnet back in there. Ha! So if they did the tranny fluid, which is not recommended, maybe they did the TB which is.

RX now has 123K miles on it. I've changed out every fluid and filter on it, and besides the A/F sensor 1 bank 1, haven't had any problems out if. The wife is getting ready to do a 2000 mile round trip in it. Had it inspected (annual VA safety inspection) and shop said all was good. Oil changed with M1 High Mileage syn. She'll be doing the trip by herself, and I'm a little worried about having a TB failure.

Should I be concerned?
Old 06-07-11, 03:36 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Not at all, the timing belt's look like new at 120k. They can last up to 180k in my opinion, obviously you don't want to take that risk, mine was changed before i bought it. These engines are interference so you don't want the tb to break.
Old 06-07-11, 11:07 PM
Hatchman
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
Not at all, the timing belt's look like new at 120k. They can last up to 180k in my opinion, obviously you don't want to take that risk, mine was changed before i bought it. These engines are interference so you don't want the tb to break.
Good to know. I think I will let it slide until I get back from Iraq next year then get it taken care of.
Old 06-08-11, 06:25 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Never heard of a water pump going out either.
The water pumps do go. I learned that the hard way around 30k after getting the timing belt replaced (it was leaking). While they were working on it, I had them replace the timing belt again, since it was minimal $...

Quick Reply: Timing Belt replace