RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Is it all downhill from here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 01:37 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Is it all downhill from here?

[LEFT[/LEFT]
Hi
My car just crossed the 160k mark. I am not sure what to do at this point regarding sell or keep decision. Moreover I need help on the items that need replacing as Lexus really doesn't tell you what needs to go.

Can you please chime in?
1. Radiator. Shouldn't I replace that? My old Audi's radiAtor gave up at 150k.
2. Stuff related to a/c. Manual has nothing in this. I do notice the air is not Siberia cold anymore.
3. PCV valve. Again nothing in the manual.
4. Alternator. Again shouldn't this go south by now? Even my old Honda needed a new alternator at 140k?
5. Electrical stuff. Somehow my high beams went south. In fact when I turn on the fog lights it emits a soft but constant "beep" at about 5 kHz frequency (not too different than your local emergency broadcasting alert).
6. I have been diligent about tranny drain and fill per 15k miles and been using mobil1 full synthetic the whole time. I also did all the maintenance stuff like trnasfer case oil, differential oil and other fluid changes like coolant.

I just don't know what I should do next. I certainly don't want to sit idle and wait for the big break down.

Last edited by MellonC00; 04-23-11 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-23-11, 01:48 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I have not heard of any radiator failures on the RX. This also surprises me; my 2002 has 146k on it, and I've also been wondering about that for awhile
2) Had a similar problem around 3 or 4 years ago. Was cold, but not Siberia cold. Had it charged & it has been fine
4) I have hear of alternator failures, but not all that common. Also a concern for me.

I guess I'd suggest having your A/C & high beams checked out. If those are "quick fixes", there are several people on this forum who have well over 250k on their RX. If you are told that those items are just the tip of the iceberg, then I would consider selling.

Last edited by Dadikins; 04-23-11 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 02:34 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It sounds as if your trying to find faults in your RX, maybe so you can self-justify a new car purchase. Why fix something that's not broken....

Your in california that radiator will last a long time (no rust), PCV valve costs $3 (not enough to justify a new car), alternator there's no telling how long it'll last ( again not enough to justify a new car). Get my drift, must i go further?

Look at my signature, I have 110% trust in my Toyota's/Lexus's. My uncle has a 99' RX300 AWD with almost 340,000 miles on it's original tranny and engine and it runs like brand new.
Old 04-23-11, 04:51 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by hypervish
My uncle has a 99' RX300 AWD with almost 340,000 miles on it's original tranny and engine and it runs like brand new.
I doubt that it really run like new. Old rubber bushings in the control arms, old shocks, old springs, and other suspension parts will work in concert to prevent you from feeling that new car ride.

Having said that however I do wish to keep my car for another 100k miles if it doesn't cost me more than $10k in present value of repair outlays.

Can you mention anything else that comes to mind besides the items I mentioned? Again, not the stuff that appear in the maintenance manual. Thank you.
Old 04-23-11, 05:11 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

No, it runs like new!! lol... He's a mechanic and take's care of his cars, always garaged, no dry rot's on any bushings. You wouldn't believe it unless you drove it, which your welcome too if you ever come to the east coast. hahha..

There isn't really any other maintenance other than what's in the manual, even then most of that isn't necessary.
Old 04-23-11, 05:34 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

I believe you. He must have put in some hugemoney thou. In the past I did track down every singlenpart that I needed to replace to my "magic carpet" ride of a new Lexus. I estimated out the whole thing and came up with more than $5000 in parts alone. We are talking new suspension parts (because Lexus won't sell you new rubber bushings you have to replace the whole control arm - you get the idea).

So you are saying that he didn't have replace things like fuel filters, or wheel bearings and stuff like that? Forget his, how is your car running? Yours is no slouch either!

Last edited by MellonC00; 04-23-11 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-23-11, 07:13 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

No, he hasn't spent much money on it, original struts and mounts (Don't know how that's even possible..haha) all highway miles... Hasn't replaced any wheel bearing's or fuel filters ( only has one, and that's in the gas tank with the fuel pump). Only regular maint. like oil changes, belts, other fluids, brakes, spark plugs. He's also on original coils too, hasn't replaced any to date.

My RX300 runs like a champ as well, recently replaced a oxygen sensor besides that haven't had any issues, all of the miles are highway. I take road trips to Michigan/Chicago every month so that's how it racks up so many miles. Although, mine is in need of rear strut mounts as the roads here are quite terrible, but they aren't to the point at which you can hear them at every bump only a few major one's. But either way I've ordered the rear mounts and the rear strut's because if im going to change the mount I might as well change the entire strut.

BTW- We've had people on here use a control arm from a Camry instead as they are cheaper, and they are the same part. Wear on the suspension also differs from car to car, but overall I feel the suspension is quite solid on the RX and can handle some abuse. LoL

Last edited by hypervish; 04-23-11 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-23-11, 07:45 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

5. Electrical stuff. Somehow my high beams went south. In fact when I turn on the fog lights it emits a soft but constant "beep" at about 5 kHz frequency (not too different than your local emergency broadcasting alert).

This would probably be because of a bad fog light relay. I just installed fog lights on my Honda accord and the relay was bad out of the box giving that humming or buzzing noise. So have that checked out.
Old 04-23-11, 09:33 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The control arms are cheap if you use the Toyota Camry ones from a 98 Toyota camry...Can get a pair for less than $150...Made my ride so much better at 188k miles, pcv valve cheap and easy, The torsion rods are cheap also, Engine is bullet proof if maintained, especially in California where we dont get salt, etc.....I owned mine for 13years and the new owners love the car....
Old 04-24-11, 01:03 AM
noku
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like you're asking for a 100k mile guarantee for $10k. I don't think anybody could give you that when your car already has 160k miles on it. Just an engine sludge problem alone could eat most of the $10k alone. Then there's your exhaust system, sensors, suspension, door locks, hoses, gaskets, etc, not to mention what you already listed. A brand new car like a Benz may rack up more costs if it weren't for a warranty period.

I'd say, play it by ear. Keep her until the big one comes along. Then gently wipe away the tears, move on and hope the next car is as reliable.
Old 04-24-11, 09:01 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Your Audi is typical of German cars with their plastic radiator parts. Japanes cars have far fewer problems with radiators, so it's not a ticking time bomb like it is with a BMW (trust me.......... I know)!

Check the sight glass for the A/C in front of the radiator. If there are bubbles in there it needs charging. Even if there are no bibbles have it checked with a high and low pressure gauge - it may still be low. Not usually a problem in the RX300 but there are always exceptions.
Old 04-24-11, 02:09 PM
chenxingha
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Timing belt is the main one I would consider if needs replacement. Other things, as being said already, if aren't broken, leave them alone.

For those RXs having passed 200k or 340k miles, on what schedule were the timing belts replaced?
Old 04-24-11, 02:31 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

My uncle replaced his first at around 125k, the second time around he did it at 280k and he said the both times he replaced them the belt still looked good. All of the pulleys and tensioners are original. Hard to believe but even the water pump is original at 340k.
Old 04-25-11, 03:33 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

I did mine at 90K as stated in the manual. Like I said before I am really concerned about stuff that is not listed in the manual. For example, I've been doing tranny fuild drain and fill every 15K since 60K on the odometer even though there is not a single thing stated in the manual.
Old 04-25-11, 08:19 PM
bufferdan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Only replace things that need it and then the timing belt/water pump every 90kish. I have 185k on mine and original engine, trans, alternator, starter, radiator, shocks ect. Only things been changed are the fluids, light bulbs, brakes and timing belt/water pump x2

Quick Reply: Is it all downhill from here?