RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Engine Oil Leakage, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 05:09 PM
richonline
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Leakage, help please.

Hello Guys,

I have a 01' RX300 2WD 110k, a few days ago I found some oil mark on the ground and checked the underneath of the engine compartment and the engine oil pan area. Sadly, there is some oil leakage out there. From the color and the viscosity, I guess it is most likely the engine oil leakage. I attached some pictures taken from under the engine. There is no leakage found above the engine in the compartment. Would you guys give me some hints what is the most possible leaking area? Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Oil Leakage, help please.-picture-002.jpg   Engine Oil Leakage, help please.-picture-004.jpg   Engine Oil Leakage, help please.-picture-006.jpg   Engine Oil Leakage, help please.-picture-008.jpg   Engine Oil Leakage, help please.-picture-009.jpg  

Old 02-28-11, 05:25 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the same problem. I tighten the four rear bolts on the rear valve cover and the leak went away. When I get my timing by done, which is soon, I'm gonna have them replace both valve covers while they are in there. But for now just get an open end wrench in there and tighten the bolts just a half a turn each. Not too much.
Old 02-28-11, 05:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I agree, it seems to like it's coming from the rear valve cover. Tightening the screws is just a temporary fix, you will probably have to replace the gasket down the road.
The best time to do it, is probably when changing the spark plugs.
Old 02-28-11, 05:54 PM
richonline
Rookie

Thank you all for the quick solution, now I have an idea what is the problem. Do you guys know how much to change the gasket for rear valve cover?

BTW, I did oil change at Lexus before. Since last time (6k ago), I went to Toyoya, but used the Oil I bought from Lexus. Hope this change is not the cause for the problem.

Originally Posted by hypervish
I agree, it seems to like it's coming from the rear valve cover. Tightening the screws is just a temporary fix, you will probably have to replace the gasket down the road.
The best time to do it, is probably when changing the spark plugs.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Oil Leakage, help please.-picture.jpg  
Old 02-28-11, 06:37 PM
99rx
Instructor

It could be if you switched your oil from synthetic to regular. Or visa versa. I went from regular to synthetic and it started leaking a bit. Mine was worse than yours. Every once in a while, I get a little drop or two on the driveway but rarely after I tightened the bolts. And definitely having the spark plugs changed along with valve cover gaskets when I get the timing belt done...
Old 02-28-11, 07:16 PM
RayN
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue with the rear valve cover oil leaking. Seems like to replace the rear valve cover gasket, you need to remove the intake manifold. Replacing the rear spark plugs you don't need to remove the intake manifold. Hope there is DIY for the rear valve cover gasket.
Old 02-28-11, 07:52 PM
richonline
Rookie

Well, I am not sure what oil was used at Lexus. Last time before I went to Toyota, I went to Lexus and asked them give me the same engine oil Lexus used, then took it to Toyota. My purpose was to let my engine use the same oil consistently. Maybe the Lexus sold me the wrong engine oil. Plan to to let Lexus do the next oil change in a few days and then report the outcome.

Originally Posted by 99rx
It could be if you switched your oil from synthetic to regular. Or visa versa. I went from regular to synthetic and it started leaking a bit. Mine was worse than yours. Every once in a while, I get a little drop or two on the driveway but rarely after I tightened the bolts. And definitely having the spark plugs changed along with valve cover gaskets when I get the timing belt done...
Old 03-01-11, 01:07 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by richonline
Well, I am not sure what oil was used at Lexus. Last time before I went to Toyota, I went to Lexus and asked them give me the same engine oil Lexus used, then took it to Toyota. My purpose was to let my engine use the same oil consistently. Maybe the Lexus sold me the wrong engine oil. Plan to to let Lexus do the next oil change in a few days and then report the outcome.
I'm almost certain that is the oil they would have used at Lexus. I don't think they have different qualities of oil, other than regular oil (like your bottle) and synthetic. And I'm sure you would know if it was changed with synthetic at Lexus, because the cost would have been about $30. higher. The oil T/L uses is good oil, even with the regular oil. The oil may have cost you more from Lexus than from Toyota, because most prices for the same product are higher at Lexus than Toyota, but the product is the same. Have you ever noticed that there are FEW products at Lexus that say Lexus on them, almost all say Toyota, because it's the same product. No need to buy your oil from Lexus, just buy it from Toyota, same product.
Old 03-01-11, 04:56 AM
99rx
Instructor

I don't think having Lexus do it again will change the valve cover leaking. The only thing that might stop it is switching to a thicker oil, but I DO NOT recommend that with these engines because of the sludge issues.
Old 03-01-11, 06:52 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

Also dont forget the PCV valve, real cheap and reduces backpressure.....
Old 03-01-11, 09:20 PM
richonline
Rookie

Thanks all Lex friends for all those great comments. Will get the PCV valve changed first and see if it is a fix. Will report to you guys when I get it done in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by thomas1
Also dont forget the PCV valve, real cheap and reduces backpressure.....
Old 06-22-11, 07:54 PM
autox250
Driver

PCV wont do much for you.... its more than common for the valve covers to go around 90k its totally common, take into account that the camshaft seals leak aswell and last about aslong as the valve cover gaskets on these engines. Since you're at 90k+, I'd say do the valve covers, t-belt and while the tbelt is out, change out the cam seals. All your problems will be gone.
Old 06-22-11, 08:04 PM
richonline
Rookie

Thanks. BTW, I forgot to report: after replacing the pcv, the oil leakage stopped. I wouldn't say 100%, but certainly not noticeable. Will see how long it last.

Originally Posted by autox250
PCV wont do much for you.... its more than common for the valve covers to go around 90k its totally common, take into account that the camshaft seals leak aswell and last about aslong as the valve cover gaskets on these engines. Since you're at 90k+, I'd say do the valve covers, t-belt and while the tbelt is out, change out the cam seals. All your problems will be gone.