RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Expensive transmission or cheap sensor issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 07:56 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Expensive transmission or cheap sensor issue?

I should have gotten rid of the RX a few months ago when we got our MDX, but I thought we'd keep it another winter then sell it during the summer (which actually is not logical as no one is looking for a gas guzzling SUV during warm weather).... anyway...

The engine idles fine, no rough idle or anything. It runs just like before except when it's low speed and I jam on the gas to accelerate. The car with pudder and studder and not catch gear, atleast that's what it feels like. If I DO NOT jam on the gas and just moderate accelerate from stop to say 40 mph+, it's fine, no shifting problem.

I've tried a few times and at high speeds the transmission shifts down fine to accelerate.

Anyone have this is issue before and what was fix? Hopefully it's something like MAF sensor or something... If it's transmission about to go, then I'll have to give the RX to my father-in-law... he drives like a turtle.
Old 01-13-11, 08:12 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

No codes yet?
Old 01-13-11, 08:18 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

No codes... could be because I have not pushed it often. It's only when you stomp to the ground that I experience this. Under moderate acceleration, car goes through the gears fine...
Old 01-13-11, 08:27 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 66 Posts

That could be a lot of different things. Clogged cat can act like that, but so can a fuel pressure issue or sensor problems, or could be the tranny too. Cross your fingers that it's something easy. I would think you should be seeing a code soon, maybe see if any pending are in there yet.
Old 01-13-11, 08:34 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carguy07
That could be a lot of different things. Clogged cat can act like that, but so can a fuel pressure issue or sensor problems, or could be the tranny too. Cross your fingers that it's something easy. I would think you should be seeing a code soon, maybe see if any pending are in there yet.
I had put the OB2 reader to it already... no pending codes. Strange that it's something that isn't monitored?

Anyway, I'll just cross my fingers and drive it slow. Then when I need to sell, make sure I see to a senior citizen...
Old 01-14-11, 11:19 AM
RX300TC
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carguy07
I would think you should be seeing a code soon, maybe see if any pending are in there yet.
My recent episode with a flaky crankshaft position sensor proves that not all problems will be caught by the ECU sensors and firmware. My vehicle literally would not start, yet no codes were registered. These types of issues where you know something is wrong, yet no codes, can be maddening.
Old 01-14-11, 12:06 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

It doesn't sound like the transmission to me... Have you tried resetting the ECU?
Old 01-14-11, 01:01 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,103 Likes on 992 Posts

OBDII was developed as a common protocol for monitoring issues. Around 1996 all vehicle manufacturers adopted the standard.

With a micro controller as a brain, some ecus can do more than the agreed upon standard and each manufacturer can do more analysis with their dedicated test equipment.

Salim
Old 01-14-11, 07:36 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Bring to dealer

Originally Posted by salimshah
OBDII was developed as a common protocol for monitoring issues. Around 1996 all vehicle manufacturers adopted the standard.

With a micro controller as a brain, some ecus can do more than the agreed upon standard and each manufacturer can do more analysis with their dedicated test equipment.

Salim
So you're saying bring to dealer and get it looked at.

I just don't like going to shops for this, because I just picture them not doing any diagnostics and just painting a broad brush and going "oh, your transmission is bad... $4K please..."
Old 01-15-11, 08:57 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
So you're saying bring to dealer and get it looked at.

I just don't like going to shops for this, because I just picture them not doing any diagnostics and just painting a broad brush and going "oh, your transmission is bad... $4K please..."
I simply stating there are limitation to what you can see by a generic scanners. Advanced scanners can show you sensor readings on the fly. I do not know what extra (hidden) things are available to proprietary codes/equipment a dealer may have.

Also there seems to be a general misconception that ALL types of data creates CEL.

When it comes to accessing hidden information the dealer with the right equipment has an edge. The other place they have an edge is the wealth of information dealing with symptoms and failure rates etc.

For obscure problems, I would suggest going to the dealer, you will be paying higher per hour rate, but amount of time to diagnose will be shorter (I hope).

Salim
Old 01-15-11, 05:14 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 323 Likes on 281 Posts

Sounds more like a fuel problem than a transmission problem.. CPS will throw a code, so its probably not that. I had a similar problem when our RX300 was about 5-6 years old with 76k on it. Dealer replaced $1000 worth of parts before I threw a fit (MAF, idle air control valve, etc). Eventually turned out to be a bad throttle position sensor ($30 part replaced free as a "goodwill" gesture)!
Old 01-15-11, 08:56 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Sounds more like a fuel problem than a transmission problem.. CPS will throw a code, so its probably not that. I had a similar problem when our RX300 was about 5-6 years old with 76k on it. Dealer replaced $1000 worth of parts before I threw a fit (MAF, idle air control valve, etc). Eventually turned out to be a bad throttle position sensor ($30 part replaced free as a "goodwill" gesture)!
ha ha... gotta love the dealers. I would have said I'll pay for the $30, you give me back the $1K I paid for things that didn't have to be changed.

Throttle position sensor... I'll have to search into that.

Thank you.
Old 01-15-11, 10:45 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

AlexusAnja:

Can you re-state your problem? Is it from a stand still? Would like to eliminate traction control, poor tires and or road surface.

If you dig, you may find posts where some folks tried to disable the traction control.

Salim
Old 01-17-11, 04:33 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Salim...

The car runs fine, idles fine, pick up is fine (up to say 4000 rpm), and otherwise would drive normal.

The only situation that it studders and doesn't shift is when I floor the accelerator. The engine revs like it's about to do something... then it just feels like it's not doing anything. I ease off the gas just a little and it picks back up, downshifts, and I'm in business.

I can accelerate from a stop, up to 4000 rpm and it's all fine. Only when I jam on the gas do I get this hesitation.
Old 01-17-11, 05:30 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

I'm with sktn77a.

Check fuel pressure while trying to mimic the problem.
Remember, the most load put on a motor is coming off a stop.

Fuel pressure readings should be 44-50 psi all the time while it's running.
I really doubt it's a trans issue, but not ruling it out though.

Post back if you have fuel pressure readings.

Quick Reply: Expensive transmission or cheap sensor issue?