RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

not downshifting at low speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-10, 10:58 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default not downshifting at low speeds?

Got this 02 Coach with 34K miles a few months ago (its abt 36.5K now), my wife normally drives the car so at first I didn't give this problem too much thought but now I notice it more. I think its a bit hard to shift out of park, no jerking, and it shifts smoothly, however when I slow down like to take a turn I notice that the RPM is just above 1K and when I accelerate it feels like I was taking a turn or accelerating on 3rd gear on a 5 spd manual tanny on my 4 banger 4wd nissan truck which I would normally downshift to 2nd. You do feel some vibration but not too bad like you are in too high of a gear and the car accelerates slowly unless you get aggressive with the gas pedal. I don't think we have any other acceleration problems in fact the car is pretty preppy compared to my 00 3.4L 4Runner Sports Ed. It also downshifts right away at other speeds. I'm sure if I floored it when going this slow it will downshift but I do expect it to be in the right gear already and don't need to push it. Doesn't matter if its hot or cold or if the engine is cold or warm. Turning O/D off helps a bit. But I haven't really tried driving around with O/D off on the side street all the time (does anyone do this? A friend said its better to drive with O/D off when you are on side streets)

Also at 70 mph the rpm is just under 3K, is this normal? On my 00 4runner I believe its much lower than that, under 2.5K.

Don't think the auto tranny has been serviced, the fluid is not cherry red and is a little darker than brand new but its definitely not dirty or burned.

Should I try a drain and fill?
Old 08-15-10, 06:26 AM
splacek007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like my '02 w/ 105K miles, except the ATF has always been cherry red since I purchased (74K). Compared to my Landcruiser, I've noticed: (1) sometimes stiff when moving shifter from Park to Reverse only, esp. when "cold" (linkage issue? ); (2) doesn't like to downshift when you let off the accelerator and therefore coasting sometimes feels impeded; (3) RPMs higher than my old '04 Camry (4 cylinder) at high speeds - but still maintains 20 mph average...basically, what you noticed. But like you said, still feels peppier than my Landcruiser.

IMO, it's typical. I'd service the ATF however. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts. I replaced transfer case and rear diff. w/ Mobil 1 synth. and didn't notice a difference (yet).
Old 08-15-10, 07:04 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

When the car was stiff to move out of Park, was it parked on an incline if so than that's normal because the parking pawl holds the car in place. But, if you frequently park on an incline or descend try using the parking brake to keep pressure off of the parking pawl.
My RX will always downshift when I get on it, the ECU is used to my driving habits (Which aren't the best for fuel economy...lol). You have to remember the RX doesn't have many gears compared to newer cars it only has 4 gears, so it can't always downshift when in lower speeds. Pressing the power button, will make the car hold gears more, and downshift more often. Also the car may be used to your wife's driving habits more than yours, you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then drive the car and see if it reacts better to your taste.
I'd suggest doing a DRAIN AND FILL not a FLUSH, make sure to use a fluid compliant with TOYOTA TYPE-IV<That's very important!
The rpm's at about 70 sounds perfect. All RX's maintain a higher rpm at higher speeds than most cars will, it's just there natural behavior.
Old 08-19-10, 07:09 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Thanks for your input 007, I think the gearing allows the rx300 to be peppier and hence the higher RPM at 70 mph. Glad to know I'm not alone with this issue. I'll make sure to post whatever the resolution is to my problem.

So Hypervish, are you saying that the 300 has an adaptive tranny (or some sort) like the 330 and 350? I didn't know that. If that's the case then it makes sense but bad design if its is indeed the case.

About what to use, I normally have my oil changes at the dealership and tranny service at a tranny shop but for a "drain and fill" I just take it to this Jiffylube by my work. ok, l'm ready to hear the bad things about Jiffy Lube!!! I do watch them do it, I just say I wanted to see the color of the fluid that's coming out and how much crap is stuck to the drain plug. They use some Penzoil multi vehicle ATF which is "suitable for use in applications requiring Toyota Type IV" that they say what they use 90% of the time and I think they have a synthetic blend too but I haven't taken my RX there so I don't know if they have one or not for the application.

All, any input on Penzoil ATF. I figured I pay less for these things and I can do it more often specially because a drain and fill doesn't replace all of the fluid in the tranny.

Last edited by Enz; 08-19-10 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-19-10, 07:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

The transmission is more or less configured to give you more fuel economy but it will compromise with your driving habits. I would say it is an Adaptive Transmission, but others may beg to differ.
Penzoil Multi-Vehicle is fine, but I would suggest Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF it has a better flashpoint than the Penzoil and they are both a synthetic blend, unlike the Toyota Type-IV which is a dino. The flashpoint difference is not too big, but I thought I would throw it in just incase you were wondering what makes the Castrol a tad bit better than the Penzoil.
I currently have the Castrol Multi-Vehicle ATF in my RX and it shifts great! I was deciding between the Penzoil and Castrol but the spec sheet and a few UOA's sent me towards the Castrol.
Old 08-19-10, 08:13 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Thanks Hypervish! I don't think they use Castrol so I'm stuck with Penzoil and since you mentioned it I do remember them saying its a syn blend. And since you even considered it so it must be ok to use.

I pulling the fuse for the ECU off in a little bit and I'll drive the rx tomorrow and post how it goes.
Old 09-08-10, 09:59 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Update. I had JL do a drain and fill but they overfilled it and they didn't open up the 2nd drain plug (for the frt diff). Of course when I came back I had to convince them that I was sure that the tranny and the frt diff shared the fluid. So I told them to drain a little bit of fluid from the 2nd drain plug and compare it with the color and condition of the tranny fluid. Finally they were convinced and drained both plugs. So basically I got a 2nd DnF for free! Now the fluid is sooo cherry red. Then we were carefull not to overfill it the 2nd time.

I also unhooked the battery to reset the ECU.

My wife also noticed the change in the way the car drives so both of these things helped. Of course I was driving a little bit more agressive so that it "learns" a slightly more agressive driving style. After driving a few days, it does not hover down in the 1-1.2K RPM and it revs up to 2K faster but I still feel some light shudder (like ur in the wrong gear on a manual) until it passes 2K.

Overall I'm much happier but I wish it would downshift more without the driver mashing the gas pedal to eliminate the sub 2K vibration. Not sure if this is normal.

Is this normal?
Old 09-09-10, 05:04 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

If you are getting vibration, check your transmission mounts and while you are there check the engine mounts. Hesitation (or not being in the gear you think) is different from vibration. Vibration can also be due to wrong fluid in transmission or something not right in the power-train.

Salim

ps: Drain and fill essentially is to remove sediments and there are 2 low points, so one should drain both.
Old 09-09-10, 09:43 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Salimshah,
yep they did drain both plugs the 2nd time.

I did see some posts while searching that the wrong fluid can cause vibration. However as far as I know the car still had the original ATF when I got it at 34K so I would not lean towards the fluid as the culprit, but it could still be. I remember telling my friend about the 1st gen tranny problems and gave her a hard time not changing the tranny fluid sooner but not a lot of peeps outside of these boards know of this problem until its too late.

Hesitation? Could be. Could you explain what you mean by this, its been used to describe so many symptoms. One way I think of hesitation is when you try to accelerate, you car bogs down then goes. But I just think its not downshifting as much as it should be. Gotta drive another RX to make a good comparison. Like I said past 2K it zips up fairly quickly and I just notice these things under 2K.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-12-10, 09:01 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

Come to think of it, if it was hesitation then it would happen too when accelerating from a stop. So I don't think its hesitation either.

Anybody else got an idea what's going on?

Thx!
Old 09-13-10, 03:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

One drain and fill alone, especially with the mileage you mentioned since last drain and fill won't help unless two more drain and fills are done. At that mileage, it really needs to be cleaned out. Such hesitation was usually an indicator for me (especially in Mexico where it saw a tougher life) that the fluid needed changing pronto.
Old 09-15-10, 09:02 AM
Enz
Pit Crew

Hi Lexmex,

It was actually DnF'ed twice already since they overfilled it the 1st time. The fluid is now bright cherry red.

Should I do it again another time?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-10, 11:35 AM
Francis
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Enz
Update. I had JL do a drain and fill but they overfilled it and they didn't open up the 2nd drain plug (for the frt diff). Of course when I came back I had to convince them that I was sure that the tranny and the frt diff shared the fluid. So I told them to drain a little bit of fluid from the 2nd drain plug and compare it with the color and condition of the tranny fluid. Finally they were convinced and drained both plugs. So basically I got a 2nd DnF for free! Now the fluid is sooo cherry red. Then we were carefull not to overfill it the 2nd time.

I also unhooked the battery to reset the ECU.

My wife also noticed the change in the way the car drives so both of these things helped. Of course I was driving a little bit more agressive so that it "learns" a slightly more agressive driving style. After driving a few days, it does not hover down in the 1-1.2K RPM and it revs up to 2K faster but I still feel some light shudder (like ur in the wrong gear on a manual) until it passes 2K.

Overall I'm much happier but I wish it would downshift more without the driver mashing the gas pedal to eliminate the sub 2K vibration. Not sure if this is normal.

Is this normal?

I just changed the tranny fluid from the dealer and the tranny is working good. You can come and test drive mine so you will know your is normal or not. I live in San Bernardino, pm me if you like.
Old 09-15-10, 06:05 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

This may not be tranny related, but could be air/fuel issue. When my MAF or inejctors are dirty, I do get some hesitation from time to time that I might otherwise (or in the past when I first had my vehicle) attribute to the tranny.

I'd check the IACV and the MAF sensor and run through a can fuel injector cleaner before I'd drain the tranny again.
Old 09-15-10, 08:34 PM
Enz
Pit Crew

You know, I don't think its really hesitation because I never have the problem accelerating from a stop or when accelerating in general. It happens just when you are coasting (slowing down with your foot off the gas pedal) down to about 20mph (like when taking a turn) then accelerating SLOWLY but if you apply a bit than usual force to the gas pedal it does downshift. But like I said I expect it to be in the right gear already and I don't have to tell it to downshift.

Anyway I have MAF cleaner in my garage and its probably a good idea to add seafoam to my gas. I'll have to look up the IACV for the Lexus, hopefully its pretty much like a Honda.

Thanks Lex and Francis!