RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

rx300 p0302 fault code

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 06:45 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by esugar
Great pics, but I'm a little worried. I'm not a really good mechanic. To get to coil 3 do I have to remove anything?
I only had one code this morning 303 took the car for a ride came back and had 300/302/303/ and P01070 pop up, strange?
No, you don't have to remove anything for that coil.

It's not to hard to get at at that coil. Just reach behind there with a 10mm wrench (preferably a small one) or something else you can take a bolt off and remove it and pull the coil out.

I think with the cast code you are referring to that must be P0171 (ignore that one).

I'd buy if possible (and this makes sense any time you have a misfire and have replaced the coils) to run some fuel injector cleaner through it. You can readily get something like Chevron's Techron or Lucas Fuel Treatment at most auto stores though if you get your hands on Redline Fuel System Cleaner (Pep Boys) or Amsoil's Fuel Injector Cleaner (some Carquest stores carry it), those are all good cleaners.

Also, when you went out this morning was the check engine light flashing or did it just light up and stay lit?

Also did any of the codes have a P/D or PD by them?
Old 01-18-10, 08:20 AM
esugar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
No, you don't have to remove anything for that coil.

It's not to hard to get at at that coil. Just reach behind there with a 10mm wrench (preferably a small one) or something else you can take a bolt off and remove it and pull the coil out.

I think with the cast code you are referring to that must be P0171 (ignore that one).

I'd buy if possible (and this makes sense any time you have a misfire and have replaced the coils) to run some fuel injector cleaner through it. You can readily get something like Chevron's Techron or Lucas Fuel Treatment at most auto stores though if you get your hands on Redline Fuel System Cleaner (Pep Boys) or Amsoil's Fuel Injector Cleaner (some Carquest stores carry it), those are all good cleaners.

Also, when you went out this morning was the check engine light flashing or did it just light up and stay lit?

Also did any of the codes have a P/D or PD by them?
Yes the light was flashing, and I went to reset the code and the only one that came up afterwards was the 303. None of them had a P/D or PD by them. Thanks
Old 01-18-10, 09:58 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Can any one educate me on Pending codes.

Every thing starts as pending and if it persists over time it moves into Active fault. If the fault persist, does the pending (if it is a queue) keeps getting set.

Putting it in different words,
If you get an active fault and NO pending fault (same code), the error occurred in the past and now it has fixed it self and over time if no new errors fault is detected it will clear itself.
Corollary: If you get an active AND pending faulr (same code), the error is still being detected.

The above can be applied to multiple codes.

Salim
Old 01-18-10, 10:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by esugar
Yes the light was flashing, and I went to reset the code and the only one that came up afterwards was the 303. None of them had a P/D or PD by them. Thanks
I may have been a bit confused before on this. But you mentioned they changed out cylinders 2, 4 and 6 (that correlates to codes P0302, P0304 and P0306, respectively), but that they didn't change out cylinder 3 (code P0303) is that right?

Is the vehicle also rougher (no pep or real acceleration)?
Old 01-19-10, 07:54 AM
esugar
Driver School Candidate

Lexmax, thanks for giving me the confidence to pull coil #3 out w/o taking anything apart! It was tough but if you didn't assure me I wouldn't haven't even tried. So, I swapped #3 w/ #2, as of now it's not coming up on the computer. I'm going to get another coil for the #2 and see what happens. The car is still rough hopefully because of that bad coil that I'm replacing today.
I'll keep you posted, thanks again.
Old 01-21-10, 11:23 AM
esugar
Driver School Candidate

Lexmax, it worked, replaced coil #3 and the ovc and it seems like it's running the way it should be. I want to thank you, wish I would have read more on the forums before panicking and taking it to Lexus where they really stuck it to me.
I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.
Take care
Old 01-21-10, 02:01 PM
oacjuly
Driver School Candidate

Having familiar problems, changed out all coils and plugs, also added fule injector cleaner but still rough idle and steady CEL returned. Only thing I haven't replaced is the OVC cause i'm not sure what that is. I need a clue, please HELP!!
Old 01-21-10, 06:52 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oacjuly
Having familiar problems, changed out all coils and plugs, also added fule injector cleaner but still rough idle and steady CEL returned. Only thing I haven't replaced is the OVC cause i'm not sure what that is. I need a clue, please HELP!!
What are you CEL codes?
Old 01-22-10, 04:42 AM
esugar
Driver School Candidate

Oacjuly, just be patient and don't go rushing to the dealer like I did. Lex, will walk you thru and save you a lot of money. I changed out the OVC also, easy to do. I'm far from being a mechanic and this was a joke. I can't believe they (dealer) charges people to swap out these parts.
Good luck
Old 05-19-10, 01:35 PM
lbcrx300
Driver School Candidate

OK, so i am younger and I just bought my lexus rx300 .. I love it!! However, right when I got it I noticed it had a low idling problem. Every couple of weeks when I would start it it would idle real low and sometimes shut off if i didn't keep my foot on the gas peddle. Well I looked on a few sites and it said to clean the iavc valve, well I planned on doing that myself (i do many things myself), but all of a sudden my lexus started sputtering (this morning) and its not idling low, its just sputtering real bad and sometimes wont go past a certain speed. This made me worried so I immediately took it to autozone where they gave me this code P0302!! cylinder 2 misfire. So this site has helped me plenty in the past, so i figured before I would do something irrational and spend 1000 dollars I would come here and see what experts have to say.. Any help PLEASE!
Old 05-19-10, 02:21 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by lbcrx300
OK, so i am younger and I just bought my lexus rx300 .. I love it!! However, right when I got it I noticed it had a low idling problem. Every couple of weeks when I would start it it would idle real low and sometimes shut off if i didn't keep my foot on the gas peddle. Well I looked on a few sites and it said to clean the iavc valve, well I planned on doing that myself (i do many things myself), but all of a sudden my lexus started sputtering (this morning) and its not idling low, its just sputtering real bad and sometimes wont go past a certain speed. This made me worried so I immediately took it to autozone where they gave me this code P0302!! cylinder 2 misfire. So this site has helped me plenty in the past, so i figured before I would do something irrational and spend 1000 dollars I would come here and see what experts have to say.. Any help PLEASE!
You are in luck as it #2. Depending on miles, it may be time to change the spark plugs [around 100k miles] or #2 coil pack could have gone bad.

Why I say lucky, #2 is in the front (near radiator on passenger side). You can swap coil pack and or spark plug to narrow what is wrong. You can even lay down the plug with coil pack and see if the spark is there.

Salim
Old 05-20-10, 08:06 AM
lbcrx300
Driver School Candidate

i just changed the spark plug, and its starting to sound worse ... maybe the coil pack
? now my whole vehicle is jumping when i change gears .. and its idling low again and will shut off if i let go of the gas .. .. I dont know what to do other than buy a 75 dollar coil pack and hope for the best .. :/ any other suggestions!
Old 05-20-10, 08:36 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by lbcrx300
i just changed the spark plug, and its starting to sound worse ... maybe the coil pack
? now my whole vehicle is jumping when i change gears .. and its idling low again and will shut off if i let go of the gas .. .. I dont know what to do other than buy a 75 dollar coil pack and hope for the best .. :/ any other suggestions!
Are you getting misfire code(s)? If yes, then you have to check coil-pack and plug. If not then you are back to solving your original problem of low rpm ... IACV/TPS etc.

Do not attempt to diagnose/trouble shoot in desperation. You may get lucky, but most likely you will be replacing things that are good to begin with.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 05-20-10 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-12-10, 05:39 PM
atag
Driver School Candidate

Instead of making a new thread, I decided to post here. I replaced knock sensors 1 & 2, got my car back from the dealership with a new code P0302. It was obvious the dealership messed it up, since my car was running fine before, would you guys take it back to the dealership or try replacing ignition coil yourself? Thanks
Old 10-12-10, 05:52 PM
atag
Driver School Candidate

Theres also like a ticking noise to if that helps or anyone has had a simalar problem?

Quick Reply: rx300 p0302 fault code