RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Front Crankshaft Seal Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-09, 08:50 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

^^ point taken.

Salim
Old 02-18-09, 07:04 PM
Pass V1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone, Thanks for your advise and input it was very useful. I installed a new seal this evening and it worked. So I am not sure which part of the process fixed it but I ended up:
-Not using the sleeve although a good idea
-Using some emery cloth on the surface
-Getting a fel-pro seal although I am a orginal parts fan the aftermarket seal had a little different shape
-coating the seal with some vaseline
-installing it with a 1 1/2 PVC pipe and a sledge hammer to seat it. I got the a thin wall and thick walled pipe and they worked perfectly

The end result was success.
Old 02-18-09, 08:04 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Great job, I really didnt think you would need the sleeve, As Code58 said, clean it up and install a good seal....
Old 01-15-13, 12:00 PM
jcorava
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How do I get to the seal?

Changing my belts and water pump. After removing the harmonic balancer i noticed oil and dirt around the shaft. I am assuming the seal is leaking... this is the same seal as the previous image points to.

Question: How do i remove the sproket (crankshaft timing pulley) that the timing belt sits on so I can access the seal? I see two of the holes are threaded and Toyota lists a SST (special service tool) - does anybody know of a good alternative to the Toyota tool?

Does anybody know the part number for this seal?

Attachment 269707
Attached Thumbnails Front Crankshaft Seal Leak-lexus-leak.jpg  

Last edited by jcorava; 01-15-13 at 06:26 PM. Reason: photo rotated 90
Old 01-16-13, 07:02 AM
jcorava
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How do I get to the seal?

Problem solved ... was able to use my harmonic balancer pulley - just needed to get some longer (about 3") M6 bolts with 1.00 pitch threads

Now to get that seal out...
Old 01-16-13, 11:47 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by jcorava
Problem solved ... was able to use my harmonic balancer pulley - just needed to get some longer (about 3") M6 bolts with 1.00 pitch threads

Now to get that seal out...
Dont want to jink you but dont scratch the shaft or the housing.

Salim
Old 02-20-13, 07:38 PM
mathewd23
Driver School Candidate

Default oil leak below the alternator bracket and left above the oil sending unit

Originally Posted by code58
Interestingly, Thomas, when I did my DIL's RX I was agast when I took the rear main seal holder out to change the seal. The seal was like a rock and had worn a noticeable groove in the C/S. I was between a rock and a hard place. Time constraints (car was going to Seattle for extended period) dictated that I had no choice but to clean the shaft up with some fine emery and install the seal and hope for the best. The seal is a very adequate seal with a flange for each direction and the rubber was live so I went for it. I am greatful to say that 30k mi. later there has been absolutely no sign of leak. When I asked a mechanic from Mo. that posts from time to time on one of the Lexus sites (he is independent but says he works on a lot of Lexus), what his experience was with the groove in the C/S from the hard rear main seal, he said yea, they get a pretty good groove but he's never seen them leak as a result of it. I am amazed that they seal the way they do for the groove that gets worn in them. I wasn't even aware of the sleeves that you posted about- great idea and thanks for posting that. I haven't forgotten to PM you, Thomas, I'll try tomorrow. I just need some of those 48 hour days!
Hi, I was reading this post and noticed that you have quite a good experience on this car. I have a 2000 Lexus RX300, purchased in 2007 at 65000 Miles. The 1st problem was a bad O2 sensor, replaced that, then at 67000 miles rear main seal leak, fixed it, then the knock sensor went bad, replaced both, water leak from windshield (replaced by lexus) Went ahead and change timiing belt at 90K miles as i know a mechanic at Toyota. I am not sure whether he replaced the cam/crank seals. Since i got duped by 2 mechanics, one who told me he changed the Oil sending unit due to oil light flickering and said it was fixed, and the 2nd one who did the power steering pump replacement for oil leaks. None fo these 2 mechanics did any root cause analysis or proper diagnostics and just charged me for replacing parts which were not required to be replaced. Hence i decided to work on my own. I had oil leak from the front VCG, so i changed the gaskets on front and rear VCG and spark plugs. Started the engine and got a oil light drove for about 2 miles and got a check engine light and all the dash lights turned on, on the dashboard and the engine stopped. Luckily the car started again and came home, pulled the oil pan to notice the oil pickup strainer was blocked and hence the oil pressure switch light was solid on, due to oil not being pumped to the engine. replaced the oil pickup strainer and fixed a new oil sending unit. (bought both from Lexus) drove the car for around 100 miles and now have another leak, I think it is coming from below the engine mount bracket - passenger side (below the alternator bracket. What could be the cause of this leak. Appreciate anyone can help me out please.

Last edited by mathewd23; 02-20-13 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 07:56 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

So your strainer was blocked with sludge?
Old 02-20-13, 07:59 PM
mathewd23
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help with oil leak above the mount bracket passenger side

Hi, I was reading this post and noticed that you have quite a good experience on this car. I have a 2000 Lexus RX300, purchased in 2007 at 65000 Miles. The 1st problem was a bad O2 sensor, replaced that, then at 67000 miles rear main seal leak, fixed it, then the knock sensor went bad, replaced both, water leak from windshield (replaced by lexus) Went ahead and change timiing belt at 90K miles as i know a mechanic at Toyota. I am not sure whether he replaced the cam/crank seals. Since i got duped by 2 mechanics, one who told me he changed the Oil sending unit due to oil light flickering and said it was fixed, and the 2nd one who did the power steering pump replacement for oil leaks. None fo these 2 mechanics did any root cause analysis or proper diagnostics and just charged me for replacing parts which were not required to be replaced. Hence i decided to work on my own. I had oil leak from the front VCG, so i changed the gaskets on front and rear VCG and spark plugs. Started the engine and got a oil light drove for about 2 miles and got a check engine light and all the dash lights turned on, on the dashboard and the engine stopped. Luckily the car started again and came home, pulled the oil pan to notice the oil pickup strainer was blocked and hence the oil pressure switch light was solid on, due to oil not being pumped to the engine. replaced the oil pickup strainer and fixed a new oil sending unit. (bought both from Lexus) drove the car for around 100 miles and now have another leak, I think it is coming from below the engine mount bracket - passenger side (below the alternator bracket. What could be the cause of this leak. Appreciate anyone can help me out please.
Old 02-20-13, 08:03 PM
mathewd23
Driver School Candidate

sorry i am new to this site and sorry if i am replying in the wrong way. But i will appreciate any help to get this car moving since this problem has been started about 1 month back, Thanks Carguy07 for your quick reply.

Last edited by mathewd23; 02-21-13 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-20-13, 08:18 PM
mathewd23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carguy07
So your strainer was blocked with sludge?
Yes it was blocked with sludge. cleaned it, but decided to place a new one and also checked the Valve covers both front and back while replacing the VCG gaskets. Noticed a little sludge on the front engine head block in one side of the block and cleaned it out,

Last edited by mathewd23; 02-20-13 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-21-13, 02:29 PM
mathewd23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pass V1
Hey, Can anyone give me some advise on what might be the problem. I have a 01 RX300 that I did the complete timing belt, water pump, and seal replacement. But I can get the front crankshaft seal to stop leaking. I am using OEM parts. I have been putting some oil and tapping it lightly in evenly with the front cover. Any advise would be helpful.
Hi Did you do the cam seal replacement or was it the dealer ?