RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Problem - Starter will not stop cranking the engine.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-07, 04:27 PM
Badvw68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problem - Starter will not stop cranking the engine.....

So, lately have been having issues with my starter. Sometimes it wont crank the engine, however, if I continue to bump the key to the start position, the engine will eventually crank and all is good. Then, one day, I started the car and when the key was put into the run position, the starter continued to crank the engine even though the engine was running properly. The other day, I started the car, and the starter would never disengage, even when I pulled the key out of the ignition switch, I have the keys in my hand standing beside the car and the cars engine is turning over by the starter. I ended up haveing to disconnect the battery to get it to quit. When I connected the battery, the car proceeded to crank the engine until I disconnected the battery again - remember the keys are in my pocket the whole time...

Is there a solinoid or relay in the starting circut that could be stuck causing this to happen. I am assuming this is the case, and if so, where is it located so that I can replace it or clean it.

Any and all help would be much appreciated guys!

Anybody else have any other ideas? Thanks much! Alden
Old 07-26-07, 05:28 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the Starter Relay (in the main fuse box under the hood). It is blue. Take it out (with a flat screwdriver pry a clip on the side that hold it) and take it apart (blue cover can be removed). Look from the bottom, and check plastic around pins is excessively melted. Also if it smells like burnt metal, you need to replace it.

Part Number for the relay is 28300-10020
You can get it for $38 plus shipping if you PM me for the link. Dealer will charge you around $75.
Old 07-26-07, 08:04 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Starter solenoid is piggy backed on to the starter. You will have to remove the starter.

Salim
Old 07-26-07, 08:24 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Starter solenoid is piggy backed on to the starter. You will have to remove the starter.
You think? If ignition switch is not in "Start" position (in "On"), there is no current applied to starter anyway.
Old 07-27-07, 08:11 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Other than low current relay, the main [high amp relay] is the solenoid. I have not pre-assumed any fault ... is the primary (low current) circuit malfunctioning etc. and responded to the original question ... where is the main relay (solenoid).

We all know that if you jump the solenoid you can make the starter spin.

If I was to guess [based on probability of failure in primary circuit, vs the solenoid stuck], I would have put my money on solenoid going bad vs the relay you mentioned.

Granted the relay you mentioned can be bad.

Cheers!

Salim
Old 07-27-07, 08:50 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Other than low current relay, the main [high amp relay] is the solenoid. I have not pre-assumed any fault ... is the primary (low current) circuit malfunctioning etc. and responded to the original question ... where is the main relay (solenoid).

We all know that if you jump the solenoid you can make the starter spin.

If I was to guess [based on probability of failure in primary circuit, vs the solenoid stuck], I would have put my money on solenoid going bad vs the relay you mentioned.

Granted the relay you mentioned can be bad.

Cheers!

Salim
I think you're right. In manual they call it "Starter Magnetic Switch".
Old 09-07-18, 07:05 AM
ProfPlum
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Resurrecting an ancient thread....

My 1997 ES300 had this issue this morning. Previous symptom was I'd occasionally have to turn the key twice before the starter would engage, but this morning the starter stayed engaged after the car started. Luckily, I was at home, so ran up to the garage and grabbed tools, but before I loosened the battery terminal I smacked the starter with my ratchet and it disengaged. I thought of doing that because I worked at a place a long time ago where we'd have to thump the starter with a tire iron to get the forklift starter to engage 25% of the time.

When I tried the starter a minute later, the starter behaved as normal.

Since thumping the starter worked in my case, it makes me think it isn't a relay issue, but a problem with the starter or starter solenoid. Going to order a starter rebuild kit and report back. Think it's the plunger or contacts after watching a few Youtube videos.

Last edited by ProfPlum; 09-07-18 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 01:31 PM
owenstrawn
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Before I rebuilt my solenoid, I had one occasion where the starter engaged itself after the key was released out of the "start" position. Weird.
Old 12-03-22, 01:56 AM
Chestie
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I own a 1996 GS300, had the same issue today.

I guess (if somebody who had teh issue is still around reading the thread) that you had to remove the starter and either rebuild it or replace it?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-22, 05:29 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Chestie
Hey, I own a 1996 GS300, had the same issue today.
I guess (if somebody who had teh issue is still around reading the thread) that you had to remove the starter and either rebuild it or replace it?
Thanks!
Typically you just need to replace the starter relay contacts and plunger. You will have to remove the starter to do it. It's not particularly challenging.
The contacts and plunger kit runs around $30.
There are other posts and threads on this
The following 2 users liked this post by maxSteel:
Chestie (12-03-22), owenstrawn (12-03-22)