RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door panel removal DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 10:20 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Don't want to hijack this thread but I thought it might be the best place to post. My passenger side door lock is weak/intermittent. I'm guessing its the actuator motor. Anybody know if I can substitute a cheap aftermarket lock actuator and just take the OEM actuator out?
Old 05-13-11, 07:07 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, found the posting I was looking for over on LexusOwnersClub (I was searching for "Lock" but had more luck with "Actuator"). Founds the "slave" actuator fix I had seen a couple of years ago, Looks like a PITA - hopefully it will be more obvious when the door is all over the driveway in pieces............
Old 07-16-12, 10:59 AM
mything2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reposting this rear psgr side window control not working- neither does the master??

I never received any response to this old post below so I'll try again now....we just never lowered this window for the last 20 months BUT our 6 year old grand daughter is visiting and DECIDED TO OPEN THIS WINDOW. Now it's completely down and now matter what we do we can't get it to close. All other windows operate normally from both the driver's master control switch and each door control switch. Tried pulling the door switch and cleaning the electrical contacts but still nothing. I don't believe it's the window motor but is there any way to test the motor-in place- by bypassing the switch circuit so we can be sure that's not the problem. I'd hate to have to turn this over to a shop because I know it'll be BIG BUCKS. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Originally Posted by mything2
LEXMEX-

Read your thread on lubricating the window mechanism.... Thanks

I have a 2002 RX300....have you had any issues that you've tackled involving a rear window being "dead" (neither buttons-driver's "master" or the window control button on the door itself- work). We've had this problem in the past with this same window and got the window to go back up-eventually- by keeping the window button that controls that window at the "master" or drivers window buttons area constantly depressed as we drove the car. After several turns,stops/starts the window did go up. I'm assuming there's a loose electrical connection to that door's motor but not sure. We tried to make sure not to put that window down but (and I don't know how/why) I came out to the garage yesterday and ALL the windows including the sunroof window- we ALL Opened?? I remember this happened once before- I think the remote triggered this somehow.....is there a possibility of a short that caused it?

Can you help me diagnose/fix this problem?
Thanks!
Old 07-16-12, 11:48 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

You can unplug the motor and feed 12v directly in there. For safety you may add a 15amp fuse in the circuit. I generally make a brief period connection to test out things.

Salim
Old 07-16-12, 01:33 PM
mything2
Driver School Candidate

Salim-

Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of connector do I need to plug the 12V power supply in to the window motor? Don't want to short out anything.
Thanks,
Dan

Originally Posted by salimshah
You can unplug the motor and feed 12v directly in there. For safety you may add a 15amp fuse in the circuit. I generally make a brief period connection to test out things.

Salim
Old 07-18-12, 01:44 PM
mything2
Driver School Candidate

Salim-

Please let me know ref what connector I can safely use for the 12V power supply.

Thanks,
Dan

Originally Posted by mything2
Salim-

Thanks for the quick reply. What kind of connector do I need to plug the 12V power supply in to the window motor? Don't want to short out anything.
Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-19-12, 09:02 PM
bluebug
Driver School Candidate

I posted this in the window motor repair thread. I assume that this by passes the switches somehow, but I'm not 100% sure.

For those that are trying to diagnose whether its a motor or switch problem, I used the all-close/open feature by using the key in the driver's door (holding the key to close/open all windows). I figured it it doesn't work this way, its got to be the motor.
Old 07-19-12, 10:42 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Trace the motor wires to the nearest connector and separate it.

Take the 12v (both terminals of the battery) and feed it to the motor end of the plug.

Salim
Old 07-26-12, 03:12 PM
mything2
Driver School Candidate

Default Salim- turns out the window motor is not the problem!

Salim-

I pulled what I thought was a malfunctioning passenger right rear window motor (hitting the down switch sent the window down but it will not reverse and go up). I installed the Cardone remanufactured motor and it's doing the same as the original motor. Now I don't know where the problem is but it must be in the switch circuit somewhere . The car is a 2002 Lexus RX300
Any troubleshooting I can do? The master switch at the drivers position does the same thing as the door switch. All other windows operate normally.

Thanks,
Dan

Originally Posted by salimshah
Trace the motor wires to the nearest connector and separate it.

Take the 12v (both terminals of the battery) and feed it to the motor end of the plug.

Salim
Old 07-29-12, 06:44 AM
bluebug
Driver School Candidate

Mything2-
I'm having a similar problem. I've replaced my window motor with another used one, which worked fine for 2 days. Now I get a clicking noise when trying to raise the window. Also using the key from the outside didn't work either. However, after 5-10 minutes, I was able to raise the window with the switch. I still think its the motor but maybe it's switch related?
Old 03-05-13, 12:53 PM
ZJimbo
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

I read this post and it was very helpful in removing the door panel on my 2002 RX300.

I started with the door handle first and got that out of the way. Duh..the only problem was I didn't remover the screw first. I saw the notch I had to raise the tab over. Knowing that made it a lot easier to remove.

I also didn't take the two screws out of the bottom of the door, since I saw they were there only to held in the storage box.

I also removed the door panel and then I slipped the courtesy wires off the light, and I didn't even remove the courtesy light from the door.

Removing the switch area was the hardest for me until I finally saw the clip you were referring too, then it came right off.

I also saw to lower the window first.

Again, all these procedures were a big help and even though this is an old thread I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to show how to remove the door panel.
Old 03-06-13, 06:25 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ZJimbo
I read this post and it was very helpful in removing the door panel on my 2002 RX300.

I started with the door handle first and got that out of the way. Duh..the only problem was I didn't remover the screw first. I saw the notch I had to raise the tab over. Knowing that made it a lot easier to remove.

I also didn't take the two screws out of the bottom of the door, since I saw they were there only to held in the storage box.

I also removed the door panel and then I slipped the courtesy wires off the light, and I didn't even remove the courtesy light from the door.

Removing the switch area was the hardest for me until I finally saw the clip you were referring too, then it came right off.

I also saw to lower the window first.

Again, all these procedures were a big help and even though this is an old thread I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to show how to remove the door panel.
Welcome to the Club.
Old 05-20-13, 11:19 AM
alexey2001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
You should then see something like this.
Thank you for the steps, I wish they would make manuals that detail.
Old 05-24-13, 07:56 AM
apichartv
Driver School Candidate

Question Keyless remote does not work for driver door

Hello to ALL,

I am new to this forums, but have read and seen a lot of good info here.
I have just purchased a used 1999 RX-300, with ~86,000 miles, running great.

The only problem is the driver door will not open or close using the keyless remote, have to manually insert the key to key-hole to open or close the driver door. The keyless remote works with all other doors.

Is this due to a bad actuator in the driver door, or could it be something else ?
Any suggestions and/or opinions are welcome.

Thanks to ALL,
Apichart
Old 05-24-13, 03:18 PM
apichartv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by apichartv
Hello to ALL,

I am new to this forums, but have read and seen a lot of good info here.
I have just purchased a used 1999 RX-300, with ~86,000 miles, running great.

The only problem is the driver door will not open or close using the keyless remote, have to manually insert the key to key-hole to open or close the driver door. The keyless remote works with all other doors.

Is this due to a bad actuator in the driver door, or could it be something else ?
Any suggestions and/or opinions are welcome.

Thanks to ALL,
Apichart
I mean the remote key won't lock or unlock the driver door, it works with all other doors.

Quick Reply: Door panel removal DIY