RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Bogus Rear-Main Oil Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-07, 09:05 AM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogus Rear-Main Oil Leak?

I own the 1999 RX 300 with 110k miles on it. It has been nearly perfect in all aspects, but about 9 months ago (when I brought it into my local Denver Lexus dealer for the 105k service), they told me that I had an oil leak at the rear-main gasket behind the engine.

Get this - The COST to repair the leak was quoted at $1,250! Almost all of it was labor, 14 hours worth, to remove the engine. The rest was to replace the gasket, a $50 part. Naturally, I did not agree to do this, and asked the service guy if I could still drive the car with the leak. He said I could, and that it really wasn't visibly dripping, but that rather it was just moist at the edge of the gasket. He advised I check my oil periodically and look for oil pudddling in my garage. Since that time, I have done both, and see NO evidence of any oil loss or puddles. The car seems just fine.

My question, though, is whether this is a "ticking time bomb" that needs to be dealt with soon, or if it's just a bogus problem meant to enrich the Lexus dealer service department. I'm also worried about any repair in which the engine is removed. Sometimes, in fixing something, a service tech could create another problem. Removing the engine and then replacing it sounds risky to me, and I would worry that some other problem would follow shortly thereafter. Or, at least there could be a risk of that happening. Since I don't see any oil loss, should I even risk it? At $1,200+. the answer I've given myself has been NO, but I'd like to hear what you think.
Old 06-02-07, 10:31 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fortunately, you're able to tell how bad it is by the amount of oil it's dripping. Just keep an eye on it like the man said. I would do nothing if there's no visible leaks.
Old 06-02-07, 10:35 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

These things are no joke and they have happened to RX owners, but...

I have had leaks on the back of my transmission (my uncle and I sealed it up) and on my transfer case (I have AWD and that has not been sealed up for 5 years since I have owned it), but no issues.

If you don't have leaks, doesn't mean they don't occur. Some leaks might only be theoretically evident when the vehicle is being driven, as in the case of my transfer case, but if you have been diligent in checking your oil level and see nothing else, then you are ok.

Even if you did have a leak, I would recommend a product called Auto-RX. TunedRX300 has used this among RX owners and has had good results. With this product it has helped, though not every time, in fixing oil seal leaks in a lot of vehicles and this product has been talked about a lot on www.bobistheoilguy.com, it is only available online/mail order.
Old 06-02-07, 10:43 AM
Meetya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roxpert
I own the 1999 RX 300 with 110k miles on it. It has been nearly perfect in all aspects, but about 9 months ago (when I brought it into my local Denver Lexus dealer for the 105k service), they told me that I had an oil leak at the rear-main gasket behind the engine.

Get this - The COST to repair the leak was quoted at $1,250! Almost all of it was labor, 14 hours worth, to remove the engine. The rest was to replace the gasket, a $50 part. Naturally, I did not agree to do this, and asked the service guy if I could still drive the car with the leak. He said I could, and that it really wasn't visibly dripping, but that rather it was just moist at the edge of the gasket. He advised I check my oil periodically and look for oil pudddling in my garage. Since that time, I have done both, and see NO evidence of any oil loss or puddles. The car seems just fine.

My question, though, is whether this is a "ticking time bomb" that needs to be dealt with soon, or if it's just a bogus problem meant to enrich the Lexus dealer service department. I'm also worried about any repair in which the engine is removed. Sometimes, in fixing something, a service tech could create another problem. Removing the engine and then replacing it sounds risky to me, and I would worry that some other problem would follow shortly thereafter. Or, at least there could be a risk of that happening. Since I don't see any oil loss, should I even risk it? At $1,200+. the answer I've given myself has been NO, but I'd like to hear what you think.
Do the repairs or one day you will end up like me (although mine was sudden leak caused by sludge): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=283464
Old 06-02-07, 11:11 AM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As Lexmex mentioned Auto-RX may worth a try. $ back guarantee is what made me to use the treatment.
Lexus dealer replaced my leaking rear main seals twice in one year and couple months later my crankshaft seal starts to leak. Apparently the initial rear main seal was not the root cause and something else is wrong.
All dealer know is to surgically repair the seal, that is what technicians are trained to do. Problem is there are more elegant solution of letting chemistry to solve the seal, folks refuse to believe it and never try it out.
Old 06-02-07, 11:21 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the engine and then replacing it does have a certain amount of risk to it, but necessary if you want to replace the rear main seal. In your case I would just monitor the oil consumption and leak and take the engine removal risk if things get worse. Did the dealer happen to remove some type of aftermarket filter when he did the oil change and replace with Toyota/Lexus? I remember reading a post where someone had a Fram filter replaced with a Toyota/Lexus and claimed the rear main seal leak stopped. A second poster claimed the same. Possibly due to reduced pressure or maybe just coincidence.
You may want to try one of the many high mileage engine oils for your next change, which claim to help prevent seal leaks. If that doesn't do it there's always the Auto-RX route mentioned above.
Old 06-02-07, 11:27 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

at 178k on my SC400, the rear main just decided to die, all of a sudden...

the car went from 100% dry underneath, to leaking a little more than a quart every 1000 miles... this happened overnight... one day everything was cool, next day, while driving, after leaving on a trip, within 50 miles, it started leaking (the oil smell was horrible for a while) as soon as I got to my destination (1200 miles later), I fixed it - new rear main seal...

en route, I tried everything, heavier weight oil, seal rejuvenator crap (obviously not the stuff mentioned earlier) and to absolutely no avail....

if it's just wet, drive it til it dies... if it's dripping, get it fixed fast...
Old 06-02-07, 12:04 PM
Meetya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikey00
You may want to try one of the many high mileage engine oils for your next change, which claim to help prevent seal leaks. If that doesn't do it there's always the Auto-RX route mentioned above.
That is right, they claim to prevent, not to fix seal leaks.
Old 06-02-07, 12:41 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Default Had my Rear Main replaced on 2001 RX 300

Hello,

I have a 2001 RX 300....My rear main seal went at 65K....The seal will eventually start leaking if there is a small leak now...I paid $800 at a Toyota dealer and got a labor rate of 50/hr...

The book value for the job is about 14 hours of labor but can be done in about 6-8 hours...

Find a Toyota mechanic to do it for you...
Old 06-02-07, 01:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by jcjr
Hello,

I have a 2001 RX 300....My rear main seal went at 65K....The seal will eventually start leaking if there is a small leak now...I paid $800 at a Toyota dealer and got a labor rate of 50/hr...

The book value for the job is about 14 hours of labor but can be done in about 6-8 hours...

Find a Toyota mechanic to do it for you...
50 per hour??? on the side maybe?

toyota here charges $100 / hr, as an independent, we charge $79... $50 is super cheap...
Old 06-02-07, 01:19 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

AWD book time is 14.4 hours, FWD is 9.4... it's a $25 part...

sucks...
Old 06-02-07, 01:36 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Another thing you can try before Auto-RX is Restore, virtually any WalMart or auto parts store has it. Use the 4 cyl can. That has worked for a few friends of fine who had small leaks on some Japanese compacts here. Auto-RX can help fix, not just prevent, leaks, but again it doesn't work everytime and it depends on how big and where the leak is and some leaks just cannot be fixed without repair.
Old 06-02-07, 05:11 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meetya
That is right, they claim to prevent, not to fix seal leaks.
Which may be all that is required at this point being there is no visible leak or oil consumption.
Old 06-02-07, 05:32 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually both Auto-RX and high mileage engine oil is not a bad idea.

Auto-RX has three types of natural ester (fatty acid) to clean sludge off metal and seals. They are similar to base oil used in Redline engine oil and some of the additives used in synthetic oil. Ester is one of the synthetic components mentioned in Mobil's old Tri-Synthetic oil.

Seal conditioning additives in high mileage oil may then soften the seal rubber IF it is left dry and hard.

As Lexmex mentioned, no one can guarantee certain procedure/products works but $40 potential fix is a lot cheaper than $1000 solution.
Old 06-02-07, 08:07 PM
Roxpert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, everyone, for the great advise. Today, I ordered Auto-Rx off their website. Two bottles for $42 including shipping seems reasonable if it fixes the problem.

In the Auto-RX FAQ section, they advise against using high-mileage oil, and stress using dino oil as well. Something about high-mileage oil possibly weakening the seal.

I'll give this a try to see if it works.