RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

interior ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 09:02 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior ideas

as you might have noticed, i often talk a lot about BMW's. this is not because i am upset or anything that i have a lexus. the idea behind it is that my two favorite sporty SUV's are the BMW's and the Lexus. If I had the BMW i would talk about the Lexus I'm sure! What my goals basically are is trying to mesh together all the things I like from both into one car. Some of the things I want are small (from the BMW), such as the one button door lock button on the center console, or some things that are bigger, like the panoramic roof.

One of the newest (small) things I desire is a one push door locking button. On my friends x3 the button to lock the door is the in middle of the dash, right above the audio controls. It doesn't even have unlock/lock, it's just one push. first push unlocks, second push locks. i like that. simple, efficient, UNIQUE. it's the only car i've seen do that. is that possible to do with my car? not necessarily have it mounted in the middle of the dash, but change my lock door button into one push like that?

other things that i like from bmw is the appeal of their buttons. i like the nice rounded edges of their dash (such as audio, a/c, etc.) buttons. they're long and rounded, very anesthetically appealing. can you change the rx300 dash? custom dashes or anything like that? some other things i like about the beamers is the way they have accent lighting on all the time, to very dimly light up interior aspects of the car. that's one of the things i really want more than the things i named above. it's handy and kinda cool, but its not high on my list of modifications.

do u think im crazy for liking these kinds of things?! for these things to be put in my car?! if you have any information on these modifications, or an opinion on my possible-crazed fascination with stupid things please let me know!
Old 04-30-07, 09:05 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

shoulda just went with the beamer then. lol
Old 04-30-07, 09:39 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

lol...i figured someone would have said that. however, if i did have the beamer, i would want the ride to be a bit better, a bit smoother. i would want not as firm of leather, different taillights, and i wouldn't want my trunk to open in two stages (i like trunks that lift up all at one, like the rx300's, not open the window on top then the bottom). i also (if i got the beamer) would want the impeccable reliability that the lexus seems to carry around with it (from my experience and from talking with others) (from what i hear/experience the bmw's reliability isn't like a lexus). although those are just a few things, there are other things i'd want in my bmw if i had one that i have in my current lexus. like i said, i dont want one or the other more, i want to mesh together all the things i like about the two and make it what i consider the 'perfect suv for me'. does anyone follow my train of thought or am i just looking for petty desires way to hard?!
Old 04-30-07, 10:16 PM
LiqrSicc
Lead Lap

I feel like that at times... but hey, you can only do so much with an RX =)
Old 04-30-07, 10:17 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

put some LED lights under the dash and glove.
Old 05-01-07, 06:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Wood trim kits

I also want to put some different colored lights on my dash, just haven't figured out which yet.

I used to have a 1990 325ic and one thing I remember very well is the computer that used to tell you at the push of a button the calculation of remaining miles based on gas/driving...too bad my RX300 doesn't have this
Old 05-01-07, 07:34 AM
Gomer1
Driver

One of the reasons why I didn't care for the X5 is the amber dash lights, the never ending electric gremlims, and most importantly, a transmission that goes at 60K miles.... wait, not sure why i went with an RX then :-)
Old 05-01-07, 09:51 AM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

hahaha...i kinda like the red lights, but i do know they're notorious for causing problems. like you and i both mentioned, i got the lexus over the beamer because of it's reliability. do you know what i mean when i'm talking about the BMW's red accent lights? they're located next to the dome lights for the people up front, then another set on the dome lights in the rear (not in the trunk i don't think). is this possible? i don't want to necessarily flood the car with ambient lights, more like spot areas that it would be handy, like in the center console where drinks and stuff can be placed. it'd be nice there :-)
Old 05-01-07, 11:12 AM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

besides the fact that this article is sweet (the concept)
HTML Code:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/16568-2003-bmw-m3-custom-dash-overhead-console.html
it offers a good pic of some things i like

as for what this has anything to do with particular forum (which we're talking about the accent light) this picture demonstates this
http://www.blurbco.com/~gork/carpc/d...eaned_dark.jpg
look at around the shift ****...it's lightly lite a red color, which is from the two small lights to the side of the dome lights. is this possible?

thanks
Old 05-01-07, 12:01 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

i know about those accent lights in the bimmer that you're talking about...they like shine down onto the shifter...yea that would be awesome if I could have some in my rx...

I have blue LED's underneath the dash and glove...

they're attatched to the TAIL LIGHT fuse, so when the auto headlights go on, they turn on too!
Old 05-01-07, 12:03 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.imagehosting.com/show.php...N0478.JPG.html

not sure why the pics arent showing up..

sorry for the blur..
Old 05-01-07, 04:02 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

what do you think i should do for these dim ceiling led accent lights?
Old 05-01-07, 04:40 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

first i would find out how BMW does it. because they are perfected...i supposed you could buy that console where those lights are from a BMW supplier and try to jury rig them up..?
Old 05-01-07, 07:34 PM
jg 368 48
Pole Position

yeah i guess that's possible...i was doing a search for them and i couldnt get a good name for them i guess, because i turned up with no information or pics about them at all. i tried things like "bmw night lights" "bmw interior night lights" "bmw accent lights" "bmw interior accent lights" "bmw red lights" "bmw interior red lights" etc. did anyone have any luck searching something else?
Old 05-01-07, 08:34 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

..join a BMW forum?

Quick Reply: interior ideas