RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Wiring a Remote Start...URGENT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-07, 10:21 AM
shayrgob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring a Remote Start...URGENT!!!

I have mostly everything wired up except for the RPM wire and the arm/disarm wire. I'm having problems locating what wires to tap into for the arm/disarm. Would you guys have any idea how I can do this?

And for this to work I have to keep the valet key in the car...right?

thanks!
Old 04-30-07, 11:49 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I have always wondered about remote starters and engine imobilizer equiped vehicles such as RX.

The wire under question then should be from the engine-imobilzer.

Salim
Old 04-30-07, 12:51 PM
shayrgob
Driver School Candidate

i think I have everything hooked up. I hooked up the 2 wires I was talking about to the lock/unlock wires on the drivers side door ECU.

However, the car will still not start w/ the remote.

what am I doing wrong?
Old 05-01-07, 09:11 AM
anulex
Pole Position

do you have the engine immoblizer bypas hooked up with the key in the box? simply having the key in the car will not do it?
Old 05-01-07, 09:32 AM
shayrgob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anulex
do you have the engine immoblizer bypas hooked up with the key in the box? simply having the key in the car will not do it?
hmm...that's where I'm at right now. Everything is hooked up and ready to go but all it does is beep once and flash the parking lights.

I was informed by some people that all I had to do was put the key next to the ignition or in the ignition and then press the button on the remote start FOB.

Is this not how it is w/ the Lexus? Should I hook up the bypass first then see what the deal is?
Old 05-01-07, 09:40 AM
TWQ83
Rookie

Originally Posted by shayrgob
hmm...that's where I'm at right now. Everything is hooked up and ready to go but all it does is beep once and flash the parking lights.

I was informed by some people that all I had to do was put the key next to the ignition or in the ignition and then press the button on the remote start FOB.

Is this not how it is w/ the Lexus? Should I hook up the bypass first then see what the deal is?

I'de get a Lexus Tech on the line in order to finish this thing .......... The last time I had a Remote starter put on a Car there was a softwere down load and sync through the diagonistic computer the mech have......
Old 05-01-07, 02:41 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The people who informed you to place the key next to the ignition were correct. That is usually the way it is done with engine imobilizer and remote start. The engine imobilizer does not prevent the engine from turning over. It just prevents it from starting. Your problem is not with the key and/or imobilizer being that you can't even get the RS to turn over the engine.
One way of explaining the engine imobilizer is by thinking of the emergency key that came with your RX, the thin credit card type one with the thin key snapped in the middle of it. If you just use that key and attempt to start the car, the engine will just turn over without starting. The engine imobilizer is working. To get the car to start you have to place the credit card looking key frame next to the ignition. This has the same effect as placing a regular key next to the ignition with the remote start.
Old 05-02-07, 05:59 AM
anulex
Pole Position

I am not sure thats true. I have a remote start in my Acura. I have the box with a key in it. I dont think u can simply put the key next to the ignition and get it to work. I think this is because you are not using the key ignition to start the car when u use the remote start. The car specific bypass module or the module that uses the key (Which ever you choose to use) tells the car that a key is present. I bet if u put the key in the ignition and hit the remote start, the car starts. If this happens u definitely need a bypass module.
Old 05-02-07, 07:23 AM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anulex
I am not sure thats true. I have a remote start in my Acura. I have the box with a key in it. I dont think u can simply put the key next to the ignition and get it to work. I think this is because you are not using the key ignition to start the car when u use the remote start. The car specific bypass module or the module that uses the key (Which ever you choose to use) tells the car that a key is present. I bet if u put the key in the ignition and hit the remote start, the car starts. If this happens u definitely need a bypass module.
I am not sure how RS with engine imbolizer works on Acura. If it's the same as Lexus, the engine should turn over but not start if you remove your key from that box. Give it a try.
Old 05-02-07, 10:56 AM
supra_trd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have remote starter in my rx300. If you have any questions about bypass etc. post your question and I will be happy to help you out.
Thanks