RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Brakes, pads and rotors? Help Please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-06, 10:41 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks TunedRX for the offer. Not quite sure why they are being so stubborn or hard headed about this, but at this point I think I'm just going to seek a full refund.

I asked "IF" they can't deliver the rotors, I'd like a refund and move on. I received an email just tonight that I'm going to be credited for 2 rotors and when they received the "2 botched rotors" they sent me(if the shipping label EVER gets here), I'm "assuming" they'll refund the rest.

This despite the fact, I specfically and clearly stated today that all I wanted is the 4 brand new rotors of which I already paid for...and further we had a planned phone call for tomorrow at which time he'll(Admin office) give me a better update of the situation.

Anyway, I want to thank you for all the advice and help you gave me thru our PM exchanges.

I'm going to start looking into someone local where I can walk in and buy what I need. Don't want to pay through the nose for OEM dealer parts, but if it comes to that I'll do it and get this brake job done.

The irony is I thought the changing the brakes itself was going to be the hard part.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm sure Street Beats are great, my experience is probably one of those rare situations. However, I felt it warrants some mention and people ought to know this when they go to place an order.
Old 10-13-06, 05:53 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This site on pad replacement

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/data.a...1RX300&yr=2002

Step down to Brakes; Brake systems;disk brake pads for some procedures you may find helpful. (You shouldn't need to disconnect the brake fluid lines.)

You'll note the compression cup portion of the calipers are pivoted up on their upper mounting, prior to removing the pads. Have a piece of coat hanger wire handy to hold up the pivoted cup portion to the spring.

The tabs on the shim sets are positioned "away from the disk" for both inner and outer pad sets. The shim sets are reused with any brand of pad.

I personally use the CRC caliper grease.

The torque of the mounting bolts is also supplied.

The site should provide a print function for the procedures.
Old 10-13-06, 10:01 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by Tammy
This site on pad replacement

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/data.a...1RX300&yr=2002

Step down to Brakes; Brake systems;disk brake pads for some procedures you may find helpful. (You shouldn't need to disconnect the brake fluid lines.)

You'll note the compression cup portion of the calipers are pivoted up on their upper mounting, prior to removing the pads. Have a piece of coat hanger wire handy to hold up the pivoted cup portion to the spring.

The tabs on the shim sets are positioned "away from the disk" for both inner and outer pad sets. The shim sets are reused with any brand of pad.

I personally use the CRC caliper grease.

The torque of the mounting bolts is also supplied.

The site should provide a print function for the procedures.
Thanks Tammy.. I'm assuming you have to sign up to get to the info? The link you provided takes me to a login page.

This will be good info for when/if I final get a set of rotors.
Old 10-13-06, 12:44 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Tammy, is this a paid or subscribers site? I don't seem to be able to get access to it. Is there a separate sign on page you know of? Thanx
Old 10-23-06, 12:04 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Finally, my rotors have arrived! It only took Street Beats 6weeks to deliver the parts they said would take 4days tops.

Regardless they are here and hopefully they are correct this time.

So now on with the brake job.. Thanks all for helping.

Tammy, if you can give me some hints on how to get that info off the link you provided, it'll be much appreciated.
Old 10-23-06, 12:35 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

See if you can access this site..
http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html
Click on auto repair reference center ...

The previously referenced proceedures, converted to PDF format.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Disc Brake Pads.pdf (40.5 KB, 315 views)
Old 10-23-06, 12:40 PM
hitthepin
Driver

See if you can access this site..
http://www.bedlib.org/ebsco.html
Click on auto repair reference center ...

The previously referenced proceedures, converted to PDF format.
Thanks Tammy.
Old 11-05-06, 08:05 PM
jimmouse
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered the same set up for the rear ones last week. The pads come from Rock the second day. No shipping email from the beatthestreet yet. Fingers crossed.....
Old 11-05-06, 10:07 PM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by jimmouse
I ordered the same set up for the rear ones last week. The pads come from Rock the second day. No shipping email from the beatthestreet yet. Fingers crossed.....
From my experience with StreetBeatCustoms, they claim Rotora takes a while to deliver. I have no idea. StreetBeatCustoms also does not want to pay extra for drop shipping, so Rotora will ship to them first and then they will ship it to you, even if you live down the block from Rotora.

I didn't have a good tranaction with StreetBeats, but I hope your order goes better than mind did. I don't like to air out dirty laundry on an open forum, but I will say this with much confidence that "IF" something goes wrong, their customer service REALLY REALLY STINKS!!!

Another sure thing; I will NEVER EVER order a thing from them again! Thats even if I'm forced to pay double, even triple to a dealership for parts that aren't as good. PERIOD.

Next time around, Brembo rotors from a local shop for me.

Sorry for the rant. Good luck to you.
Old 11-06-06, 04:41 AM
Carver
Lexus Champion

The drilled Brembos and Akebonos are a hell of a combination, plenty of stopping power, silent and straight as an arrow. It'll be interesting to see how many miles I get on pads.
Old 11-06-06, 05:58 AM
jimmouse
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if no word regarding shipping today from streetbeat, I am considering cancelling the order.

Carver, where is a good place for Brembo rotors? Thanks.
Old 11-06-06, 07:17 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by Carver
The drilled Brembos and Akebonos are a hell of a combination, plenty of stopping power, silent and straight as an arrow. It'll be interesting to see how many miles I get on pads.
Yeah, I'm going with the Brembos next time.

Regarding pads, do the Akebonos wear out fast?
Old 11-06-06, 07:20 AM
hitthepin
Driver

Originally Posted by jimmouse
if no word regarding shipping today from streetbeat, I am considering cancelling the order.

Carver, where is a good place for Brembo rotors? Thanks.
Sorry, I hope I didn't negatively influence you. I'm sure you'll find a couple of dozen people on here that are happy with them.

PM me if you want to know any specifics on my transaction.
Old 11-06-06, 07:25 AM
hitthepin
Driver

After a long and painful wait for my rotors, I finally completed the job yesterday. I was going to take pictures, but my 3 year old decided to play hockey with our digital camera.

Want to say thanks to TunedRX300 and Tammy for all the helpful tips and information.
Old 11-06-06, 08:44 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I also plan to follow TunedRX300's advice on the Rotoras. I am actually waiting until my stock ones get to a point where they cannot be machined (along with waiting for my shocks to die to get new ones).

As I mentioned in another recent thread about brakes and pads, when both get too hot, there can jerking like occurred at the track on that one video. I think Rotoras are an excellent idea to bring down the heat.

Quick Reply: Brakes, pads and rotors? Help Please.