RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Things that are missing on the Lexus RX 350 2016-2017

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 12:09 PM
jcadavis
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Things that are missing on the Lexus RX 350 2016-2017

We enjoy this vehicle and only have a few issues as with any other car from any manufacture.
We only posted this to let others know of things we have found and hopefully can get some feedback as to how get around some of the items.

Most of the features work well but there are some issues:

1. Remote start does not work consistently.

a. There was an update in February 2017 for the Lexus Enform which seems to have corrected it, only after having to reinstalling the Enform App.

b. To reinstall and setup Lexus Enform takes quite a bit of times and phone calls.

Solution: Make it easier to have updates installed. It would be best to have all updates that are this major be done at the dealership.

2. The remote start is designed to be used with a cell phone and the Lexus Enform App only.

a. There is a work-around using the key fob. Yet still needs to have the Lexus Enform App.

i. 2 presses on the “Lock Button” then a 3 press on the button and hold for 10 seconds or more.

ii. There are no third party remote starter kits available.

Solution: Have the key fob work to remote start without needing Lexus Enform App.

3. There is no “winter wiper position” for the windshield wipers.

a. The only work around is to place the wipers in the maintenance position.

b. The reason for the winter position is because the defroster does not heat the area were the wipers are housed.

Solution: Have a winter position for the wipers.

4. The turn signal’s automatic flashes need to be set by the dealer if the 7 flashes are desired.

a. Depending on the dealership, this may take some time because not all of them know how to accomplish the modification.

Solution: Have the ability for the driver to make that choice.

5. Remote Touch **** (mouse) is too sensitive and moves too quickly.

a. There are no settings to slow it down. It is hard to control when you are driving. In truth all settings and informational choices should be available in the parked position of the vehicle.

b. Better control settings need to be designed for the operator. Spending so much time making a selection while driving is dangerous.

Solution: Have the arrow buttons on the steering wheel active when notifications come up. A touch screen for the larger navigational screen would be helpful.

6. The navigational destination map does not show alternative directions when there are any issues ahead on the road.

a. There is no way to easily select an alternate route while driving.

Solution: A dual route indication on the map with the ability of selection would make the choice much easier.

7. Navigational messages/notices do not stay activate for a longer time.

a. There is no way to have them stay up longer.

b. Cannot go back to review messages and activate any suggested choices that are offered.

Solution: Have messages/notices stay up longer. This could be accomplished by allowing the operator to set the time duration in the setup menu.

8. Fan speed, temperature and defroster settings are not consistently maintained from the position set before the vehicle is turned off.

a. This sporadic operation causes issues when remote start is used.

b. Heating or cooling the vehicle may not happen.

Solution: Create a fix for this issue. I had to have the Cooler Stabilizer Amplifier replaced.

9. In the remote start mode, opening any door shuts down the vehicle.

a. There is no option to change this operation.

Solution: I understand the security reason behind this default. Have it shut off when the gear shifter is moved off of “Park” or the brake is pushed, only when the present of the key fob is sensed.

Also the timer should be disengaged when the driver’s seat sensor is activated. This would allow the driver to sit in the vehicle while it is still running till the gear shift is moved off park.

10. Alarm system requires that the all windows and doors must be closed before the system operates.

a. There is no way to crack open a window to let out interior heat in the summer.

Solution: Allow ability for a window to be cracked open. In some cases windows have been broken out because of interior heat. Cracking open windows help in keeping the vehicle cooler.

11. The Home Link and the Garage Door controls can only be used for certain manufactures.

Solution: Have them “Learn” programmable devices no matter the device it maybe. Examples: Access gate, Driveway lights, Garage Door, House Alarm, House Lights etc.

12. No mute or a -20 dB drop on the radio volume level when there is a notice on the navigational system.

a. The navigation system does have its own level control but to overcome the radio it needs to be up high.

Solution: Add a mute or a -20 dB drop on the radio volume when there is a navigation notice.

Some other features that would be helpful:

1. There is no Auto door locking system.

Solution: Add an Auto door locking system with the ability to have its time deration set in the setup menu. This could be set or linked with the settings of the auto lights shut off.

2. Steering wheel heater only warms the three and nine positions.

Solution: Add a wider area that would be heated.

3. No navigational display notices show on the HUD display.

Solution: Have the HUD display show notices that are indicated on the navigational display and have it be able to be selectable. This could be selected from the setup menu as to whether to have it showing or not.

4. The navigational destination map does not show alternative directions when there are any issues ahead on the road.

a. The traffic mapping that is install in the vehicle will not show or allow selecting alternate routes. It will only voice that there is an issue, according to the dealership.

b. There is no way to easily select an alternate route while driving.

Solution: Fix this issue! Cell phone can show alternate routes as well as other competitor’s vehicle manufactures.

A dual route indication on the map with the ability of selection would make the choice much easier.

5. There are no customizable buttons that could be used to allow for a quicker selection rather than having to go through the main menu or a series of menu steps.

Solution: Add button on the steering wheel that can be programed as to what the driver wants. To set it up can be done through the setup menu. Place the button (1 or2) on the steering wheel (on the top section)

Example:

· Changes the Meter control switches section from instrument cluster to navigational control that select the activation icons.

· Changes the Meter control switches section from instrument cluster to Remote Touch **** (mouse) operation.

· Added Home Link devices that are software learnable.

· There seems to be an issue with the temperature and fan controls remembering the last setting when the engine is shut off then starting the next day.

Solution: With the added customizable button, have it selectable as the set position is configured, to set as desirable to a default that allows setting fan speed, heat/air-conditioning temperature and fan vent directions.

6. When the “Vehicle to Vehicle Distance Button” is selected there is no way to shut it “OFF”.

a. It has only three selections, that really doesn’t select a closer distance in city traffic to help prevent the 5 car lengths that are now used.

b. The “Vehicle to Vehicle Distance Button” only works when cruise control is selected.

c. If the “Vehicle to Vehicle Distance Button” is selected by the operator to disengage by holding the speed control button in till it disengages it will not go back to that selected setting on “Resume” speed control.

Solution: Allow the last settings to be recalled when cruise control “Resume” is activated. If the engine is shut off or when cruise control is shut off, then have it go back to the default settings.

7. Voice commend, It would be nice to have a complete listing of all voice commands that are recognized by the system.

Solution: Have in the owner’s manual a list of the complete voice commands.

If there are no navigation systems or different types for the vehicle, have a list that can be used depending on the vehicle options.
The following 3 users liked this post by jcadavis:
aznkorboi (03-16-17), Comfort (03-16-17), satnav (03-22-17)
Old 03-16-17, 08:20 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus/Toyota is working on the next Gen systems. They rarely make any changes to vehicles between the 5-6 year life of a Gen unless safety related. Android Auto/Car Play would simplify Nav and add features missing plus a lot of search features and better voice controls. I found the Gen 3 RX 350 cumbersome and not intuitive to use and how about the "lockout" when moving? Lexus went after a younger buyer with aggressive styling but didn't provide the technology.
its fitting that they dropped the In "Pursuit of Perfection". They build a decent vehicle with decent quality but seem backward in some ways, slow or reluctant to change.
Old 03-17-17, 06:39 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Hope some of these answers help...

3. There is no “winter wiper position” for the windshield wipers.

a. The only work around is to place the wipers in the maintenance position. That's what I do

b. The reason for the winter position is because the defroster does not heat the area were the wipers are housed.
There is a winter wiper defrost option, but you have to get to it thru a menu not a button. Works for defrosting the lower part of windshield and the wipers. Unfortunately it won't come on if you use a remote start.

5. Remote Touch **** (mouse) is too sensitive and moves too quickly. Agreed, way to sensitive

6. The navigational destination map does not show alternative directions when there are any issues ahead on the road. I think I know what you mean, but if you go off the route selected it does do a recalculating route. Not the most sophisticated system.

7. Voice commend, It would be nice to have a complete listing of all voice commands that are recognized by the system. I've given up on voice commands, just gets me frustrated and I start yelling at it! Call her some pretty nasty things and she just says "pardon"

8.There seems to be an issue with the temperature and fan controls remembering the last setting when the engine is shut off then starting the next day. Check with the dealer as mine stays as I left it the previous day. I do not use auto settings, except for the seats in the winter.

10. Alarm system requires that the all windows and doors must be closed before the system operates. I leave my windows "cracked" and the alarm works. In fact I can leave the windows wide open, only doors closed. Check with dealer.

11. The Home Link and the Garage Door controls can only be used for certain manufactures. Yup, not a problem for me but it is for many. Needs updating because the work-around is a pain in the @#$

7. Navigational messages/notices do not stay activate for a longer time.

a. There is no way to have them stay up longer. Apparently there is a way to have her repeat it, but I can't find the post.

Hope some of this helps, it does have some areas that could be improved.

Also, why can't you operate the windows in accessory mode? My biggest pet peeve.
Old 03-17-17, 07:35 AM
jcadavis
Driver School Candidate

Default Things that are missing on the Lexus RX 350 2016-2017

Thanks Comfort and FastFord for you responses. Most people just read the forum notices and never respond with suggestions or added inputs.

I do understand that it takes Toyota a while to change things which is a good thing in some ways because they want to make sure that the fixes, first do work and secondly, most important, that the fixes do not interfere or cause other issues. That being said I still feel that most of my issues are a results of not considering how we in the USA really use the features and what the competition is adding for features.

I could not find the winter wiper defrost option. Of course it is a mot point if it does not work from the remote start.

I did try to use the Voice commands while driving and did find them not worth using for what I needed them to do. Like select alternate route to avoid a road condition, at night to dim navigational display, to increase volume of navigational volume only not with the radio.

8. There seems to be an issue with the temperature and fan controls remembering the last setting when the engine is shut off then starting the next day. Check with the dealer as mine stays as I left it the previous day. I do not use auto settings, except for the seats in the winter.This issue was not in the "Auto Setting Mode" I set the fan speed, selected the vents to defrost and temp to high. The dealer had to replace the Cooler Stabilizer Amplifier, which seems to have fixed the issue. I have only got the car back for two days.

I will check with the dealer on the alarm system.

I own a 2016 RX 350 since October which is called the 4th generation, why are some calling it a 3rd generation?

That makes it over a year for the Lexus to fix these issues, I guess I don't understand why so long to come up with a fix on any of the issue I have listed.
Old 03-17-17, 07:56 AM
kalvink
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

What attracted you to the RX? I came from BMW and while, the performance and integration of its multimedia system is leaps and bounds ahead of Lexus, I could not stay with them due to reliability. My BMW had a fuel leak that could not be diagnosed where it was sourced.

There are plenty of other options out there. The XC90 and MDX were cars I looked into before making my purchase. I just know Toyota engines are bulletproof (two previous Prius), so I stuck with them again.
Old 03-17-17, 08:42 AM
jcadavis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kalvink
What attracted you to the RX? I came from BMW and while, the performance and integration of its multimedia system is leaps and bounds ahead of Lexus, I could not stay with them due to reliability. My BMW had a fuel leak that could not be diagnosed where it was sourced.

There are plenty of other options out there. The XC90 and MDX were cars I looked into before making my purchase. I just know Toyota engines are bulletproof (two previous Prius), so I stuck with them again.
Hi Kalvink, Thanks for your question:
I had selected the Lexus for many reasons over most of the manufacture's vehicles for the following ( not in any order):
  • Height, We can not get in and out of the low to ground cars
  • Reliability of mechanical units as well as durability of the exterior in the weather for New England
  • AWD even thought four wheel option would be nice when there is more the 6" of snow (no off road is necessary)
  • Ride comfort including interior noise (Lexus is weak in the latter desire)\
We do many road trips during the year from the east coast through almost all the states.
Tested midsize SUV: Volvo ( not that comfortable and a stiff ride)-BMW (great features, a little noisy interior, more of sport feeling but poor reliability)- Mazda ( seemed cheap and noisy interior)-Lincoln ( good interior and quite but not very responsive on the road)-Audi ( almost pick it but with the options it was too high priced)
Some of the other brands we looked at just did not have what we wanted.
We have had 3 generations of the RAV4 between the Sport and LE fully loaded and only the V6 AWD series. These were good to us with good reliability but as we got more mature (older) the long drives where not comfortable. The newer RAV is 4 cyc with no 6 cyc available that is when we started to look to other verticals.

We are hope we did not make a mistake in this selection.
Old 03-17-17, 09:25 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It surprises me that on the 4RX you cannot adjust the sensitivity of the remote touch. My 3RX had a setting for that and so does my 4GS. Instructions to do so are in my navigation system owner's manual.

My navigation system owner's manual also includes a complete list of voice commands. I wonder why they're taking that out. You can also turn on the "expanded voice commands" to get additional commands, also listed in the nav manual.
The following users liked this post:
FastFord (03-17-17)
Old 03-17-17, 09:37 AM
FastFord
Racer

I found this car a little different to get familiar with. This is car 56 for me and it takes some getting used to. I don't think you made a mistake at all. You will soon love the features ride and quality. Of course there are some things Lexus could do to improve it, but I don't think I have ever owned a car that suited all my needs. My biggest concern with any automobile is, I don't want to know what the service department looks like, nor do I want to know the Service Advisors name. Other than the hesitation issue, and a couple of little delivery issues, I hope I won't ever be back.

You asked why some people call a 2016 rx 3rd generation....think they just made a mistake. 2016 and up is a 4th gen.

The winter option is usually for Canadian cars. I think you could order it in the States, but not too common from what I have read.

This is a great road trip car! Good mileage, nice ride. Had a few RAV's myself. Rav4 is too stiff for these old bones now.

The vent issue..If you have S-Flow it does change the way the system works depending on a passenger, so maybe that's what you are seeing as different. I think there is a way to turn it off, but it keeps coming back on after a restart. Might want to check that out because I am not sure if I am correct.

Good luck and take your time getting used to the new ride.
Old 03-17-17, 09:45 AM
jcadavis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
It surprises me that on the 4RX you cannot adjust the sensitivity of the remote touch. My 3RX had a setting for that and so does my 4GS. Instructions to do so are in my navigation system owner's manual.

My navigation system owner's manual also includes a complete list of voice commands. I wonder why they're taking that out. You can also turn on the "expanded voice commands" to get additional commands, also listed in the nav manual.
It is not that the adjustment for sensitivity can not be adjusted it is that even at the lowest setting it moves too quick across the screen. It would not be a problem if the car is stopped for a while so that you were not try to drive and select icons or what ever the last notice was.
The best thing would be to have a touch screen on the larger displays and be able to use the arrow buttons that are on the steering wheel.

The voice commands that are listed in the manual are not all the commands that can be used.
Old 03-17-17, 09:56 AM
FastFord
Racer

Learned something new! yea! Owners manual call it "Feedback Force" Never new what that meant.

Thank you JDR76
Old 03-17-17, 10:02 AM
jcadavis
Driver School Candidate

Thanks FastFord for your input.
I had check with the dealer about the wiper issue and he checked with corporate and the result was "there is no winter option" for the US cars at least.

The vent issue (with the S-Flow, Temp, Fan speed and not in Auto mode) has been fixed by replacement of the Cooler Stabilizer Amplifier. It could not remember the last settings and would go to default or just go to no display with no operation.

As for mileage...well we get 17.6 in the city and 23.3 on the freeways. That is one of the lowest for a car this size, weight and with a 3.5 engine. Also the display for mileage is an up counter (starts at zero and goes up).
Old 03-17-17, 10:09 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by jcadavis
The voice commands that are listed in the manual are not all the commands that can be used.
My nav manual lists 51 different voice commands. I'm not aware of any not on the list. Do you have any examples?

Thanks.
Old 03-17-17, 10:11 AM
kalvink
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I also looked at the Q5 (the model closest to the RX) and its interior space was abysmal.
Old 03-17-17, 10:12 AM
jcadavis
Driver School Candidate

My nav manual lists 51 different voice commands. I'm not aware of any not on the list. Do you have any examples?

Thanks.
Thanks JDR76 for the info.
According to the dealership there are more. How many I do no know or if they will accomplish what I would like.
Old 03-17-17, 10:23 AM
FastFord
Racer

Mileage is ok for a SUV. 23 city 30 Hwy...Canadian gallon is bigger so don`t freak out! Size, power, weight, comfort...mileage could be better but not a deal breaker. The RAV4 was great but the ride and size was not worth the extra mileage.

I only put on 10,000 miles a year, so gas mileage was not a concern for me.