RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Steering off to the left - Is it Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 05:15 AM
sankomtech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering off to the left - Is it Alignment

Am I **** or someone else also see this. On My new 2016 RX350 F-Sport bought 2 weeks - the steering wheel is at 11:55 clock when the car is straight on a new paved road level. I saw this on many different roads - highway, side roads...

How can this be fixed, is this an alignment issue...Can we expect this on a new car...

Any help will be appreciated...
Old 10-17-16, 05:30 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by sankomtech
Am I **** or someone else also see this. On My new 2016 RX350 F-Sport bought 2 weeks - the steering wheel is at 11:55 clock when the car is straight on a new paved road level. I saw this on many different roads - highway, side roads...

How can this be fixed, is this an alignment issue...Can we expect this on a new car...

Any help will be appreciated...

Yes. Take it to the dealer. THe funny thing is my wife's IS does this. I still haven't gotten it fixed yet. HOwever my RX does NOT do this. So yes, take it to the dealer and have them align it.
Old 10-17-16, 09:16 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Yes, get this corrected ASAP...do not wait for a 5 or 10K inspection. Your tires will probably start to wear incorrectly. This was the same thing I had on my F Sport and the tires wore badly. I bet your alignment is out along with the wheel at 1155. This is a free check and correction...it's part of your warranty.
Old 10-17-16, 09:20 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!
Forum Moderator

Received 173 Likes on 147 Posts

Alignment is covered for the first year/12K miles, Check the tire pressure too. Dealers are notorious for overfilling. BTW, the road in your picture has some noticeable crowning. Probably not the ideal way to test the alignment, Good luck.
Old 10-17-16, 03:39 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My RX350's steering was off center about 5 degrees. The alignment was fine. It looks like factory didn't center the wheel so I took it back to the dealer. I declined the wheel alignment and instead asked them to adjust the steering rod. They did and now my steering wheel is centered.
Old 10-17-16, 04:44 PM
sankomtech
Driver School Candidate

I have an appt set for tomorrow. Thanks all for the feedback. I will tell them to do the alignment, and if the alignment wont fix the centering, they should center the steering wheel.

Question is can they center the steering wheel while the car is on the alignment pad. I want this perfect, as no way can a $60K car be off center ...

Originally Posted by sc400
My RX350's steering was off center about 5 degrees. The alignment was fine. It looks like factory didn't center the wheel so I took it back to the dealer. I declined the wheel alignment and instead asked them to adjust the steering rod. They did and now my steering wheel is centered.
Old 10-17-16, 04:46 PM
sankomtech
Driver School Candidate

I did not test it on this road. I went to a new paved road, and then a major highway (center lane) both when I center the wheel, it was going right. There is no pull on either direction.

Originally Posted by kitlz
Alignment is covered for the first year/12K miles, Check the tire pressure too. Dealers are notorious for overfilling. BTW, the road in your picture has some noticeable crowning. Probably not the ideal way to test the alignment, Good luck.
Old 10-18-16, 04:11 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

The steering wheel not being level is not a sure sign that the alignment is bad. It can just be a sign they did not set the wheel level before they aligned the front end.
Old 10-18-16, 05:33 AM
sankomtech
Driver School Candidate

All so here is my alignment check report when I dropped off the car. Scary stuff that a new car (which I trust) has an alignment issue and I have not even driven 570 miles.

All should ask the dealer to check it as don't trust - my first experience in over 3 decades of owning new cars...

Will post the final results when I pickup the car tonight..

Old 10-18-16, 07:17 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

My turns about exactly the same to the left when going straight...looks like I need to go in too. Thanks!
Old 10-19-16, 12:22 PM
sankomtech
Driver School Candidate

You guys wont believe it. Well yesterday I went to pick up my car after the alignment. Now they have lost my key ... They cant find the keys - come on the car is barely 500 miles and two weeks old.

So they gave me a loaner and said they are ordering a new key ...
Old 10-19-16, 12:39 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you get a new printout?
Old 10-19-16, 01:33 PM
sankomtech
Driver School Candidate

Yes got it, will scan and post it. But I still have to check the car, if I get it back ... ughhhh

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Did you get a new printout?
Old 10-19-16, 04:50 PM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

my wife's car drove off the lot w/ 12 miles on it w/ the steering off center. she test drove it so she didn't notice until i drove the car home and immediately noticed it. the dealer did a full alignment under warranty and fixed the steering wheel. were they in a rush to push these cars out? everything else about the car is fine from what we can tell.
Old 10-21-16, 01:24 PM
sankomtech
Driver School Candidate

Update:

So after the alignment the steering was still off center. Today morning I went to the Service Center, call the technician, he drove with me, and confirmed that yes there is a problem and will be fixed next week Wednesday ...

Lets hope this is my last trip for that issue ...

Originally Posted by cremaster
my wife's car drove off the lot w/ 12 miles on it w/ the steering off center. she test drove it so she didn't notice until i drove the car home and immediately noticed it. the dealer did a full alignment under warranty and fixed the steering wheel. were they in a rush to push these cars out? everything else about the car is fine from what we can tell.

Quick Reply: Steering off to the left - Is it Alignment