RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 07:16 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

If you want more response just put it in Sport + mode. Running the 350 in normal mode sure is unresponsive, and does lag along.
Old 09-29-16, 10:25 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

He might not have sport + if he got regular rx350. I can't tell the difference in normal or sports in my 450h
Old 09-30-16, 03:12 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Just brought my 16' 450h in for the fuel tank ring recall so they gave me a 16' RX350 for a loaner. I can't believe how terrible the lag and lack of responsiveness is when you push down on the accelerator. Absolutely pitiful. So glad I bought the 450.
Hard to make horsepower or torque at 1000 RPM.
Old 09-30-16, 08:49 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I do have to say however that it has Michelins on it vs my 450h F-Sport and it has a much better ride than mine (Bridgestones) on the softest mode. Don't know if that's the vehicle or the tires.
Old 09-30-16, 09:05 AM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Of course hybrid has better start up speed, That is the one of the big difference between gas motor and electric motor.
Old 09-30-16, 10:57 AM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Or it could have been filled with sub-standard gasoline, or it needed a new fuel filter, or lots of other reasons. An entire car line isn't necessarily terrible because of one negative experience.
Old 10-02-16, 09:52 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by dfc350
Or it could have been filled with sub-standard gasoline, or it needed a new fuel filter, or lots of other reasons. An entire car line isn't necessarily terrible because of one negative experience.
the dealers on have regular fuel in their tanks. They will run just fine on it.
Old 10-02-16, 03:45 PM
jnghiem005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just brought my 16' 450h in for the fuel tank ring recall so they gave me a 16' RX350 for a loaner. I can't believe how terrible the lag and lack of responsiveness is when you push down on the accelerator. Absolutely pitiful. So glad I bought the 450.
I agree with you OP. I was going to make new tread in regards to my new 16 RX350. I thought something might have been wrong with the car because in "normal" mode there is a big lag when accelerating from a dead stop. I guess it normal.
Old 10-02-16, 05:17 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnghiem005
I agree with you OP. I was going to make new tread in regards to my new 16 RX350. I thought something might have been wrong with the car because in "normal" mode there is a big lag when accelerating from a dead stop. I guess it normal.
I own a '16 FWD and admittedly mine does this thing too, mainly when going down a street with many stop signs. It seems to be immediately after braking. After coming to a complete stop, when I hit the gas there is an annoying delay in acceleration. So bad that the driver at the left or right of me waiting for me to get my *** across the intersection probably thinks I'm screwing with them
This is why I will kick it into sport mode when on those streets.
And this does not happen when setting a while like at a stoplight. Is this really only in FWD models?
Old 10-03-16, 09:16 AM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Try again with the sport mode on. You should notice the difference immediately, but the MPG will be cut nearly in half!
Old 10-03-16, 09:41 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree at times especially on HWY you really need to get on it for it to move, I blame the 8 speed but I am no mechanic or engineer.
What else is odd is if I leave on sport mode I get slightly better MPG which is really strange, but it is mostly HWY driving.
Old 10-03-16, 06:15 PM
jnghiem005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darith
Try again with the sport mode on. You should notice the difference immediately, but the MPG will be cut nearly in half!
Yes, putting the car in sport mode does relieve that issue. But having to enable sport mode everything i start the car is a big inconvenience to me. I wish there was a way to program the car so that in would start in sport mode everything time. The "Normal Mode" driving dynamics for the RX is really ECO mode for other cars. Doesn't make sense too why lexus programmed the tranny this way. I haven't even touch ECO mode yet. I can only imagine how horrible that is. The RX is my wife's car, and i use a 15 Toyota Sienna SE as a daily driver. Driving the Lexus is much smoother and quieter, but i can honestly say i prefer the driving the Sienna due to frustrating lagging/jerking acceleration of the RX.
Old 10-03-16, 07:10 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mentioned in a thread a while back, that another option available to us in the 4RX that most don't even think about is to slap it in manual mode and hold the shifter forward 'till it indicates 8th gear. In this mode the upshifting is notably less "harsh" than in D-normal. Even bettr do this AND put sport mode on. Very nice combination. We do have several methods and modes to choose which is nice.
005-ECO mode is not too bad. But it'll want that top gear ASAP as in normal.
Several people have reported in here that they have gotten better mileage in sport mode. This makes sense because you are holding out each upshift longer which moves your 4300lbs to speed more efficiently sooner. This means less push on the gas to get to speed like in normal as you fight the premature upshift demon in this thing.
Old 11-08-16, 10:45 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Clunk

Has anyone noticed during slowdowns into traffic from high speeds I experience transmission clunk going into low gear when drastically slowing down, I also get it if I am going slow and then almost floor it to say merge into another lane it like slams into gear. I remember getting this same low speed clunk in my 2000 GS it would always due.

It doesn't always happen but enough for it to be noticeable and annoying from 60K truck.

Hoping maybe they will come up with some kind of software upgrade.
Old 11-08-16, 01:02 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
Has anyone noticed during slowdowns into traffic from high speeds I experience transmission clunk going into low gear when drastically slowing down, I also get it if I am going slow and then almost floor it to say merge into another lane it like slams into gear. I remember getting this same low speed clunk in my 2000 GS it would always due.

It doesn't always happen but enough for it to be noticeable and annoying from 60K truck.

Hoping maybe they will come up with some kind of software upgrade.
I have the exact same issue with my F sport

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)