RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Navigation screen not working, flashes pink screen every 12 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-16, 01:42 PM
Lexus61030
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coach258
Is it easy to find the terminal and disconnect it? Trying to find a video or some kind of illustrations of power cycling the navigation but out of luck. Don't think my wife will be comfortable doing this unless it's easy.
For the new RX, when you pop the hood the battery is literally right in front of you without any stupid covers over it.

10mm wrench or small crescent wrench can be used to loosen the nut on the terminal. Disconnect the exposed terminal, NOT the (+)

Wait.

Reconnect and start car. It may stall after starting. Start again if this happens.

Let system reload while engine is running. DO NOT TURN OFF DURING THIS TIME
Old 06-07-16, 01:44 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

well I didn't have any issue driving to work this morning, but I don't use enform and I don't use the nav, I plug in my iPhone and stream Pandora,
Old 06-07-16, 02:03 PM
Lexus61030
Driver School Candidate

From Lexus Corporate:

One of our partner suppliers conducted an update to our radio (which is not unusual) that has caused a problem to the navigation system. We are aware of the problem and are working on a fix now. This is not a cyber attack.
Old 06-07-16, 02:30 PM
tyler561
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus61030
From Lexus Corporate:

One of our partner suppliers conducted an update to our radio (which is not unusual) that has caused a problem to the navigation system. We are aware of the problem and are working on a fix now. This is not a cyber attack.
I'm not sure I understand. I'm not even sure why my car needs to phone home at ALL unless I press the SOS button. This has really shaken my trust in Lexus -- and I've only had the vehicle for two weeks.

I'm sorry if my frustration is showing through, it's nothing against you. I appreciate the info that you've shared with us. I really hope Lexus does the right thing and is transparent with owners. It would go a long way in (re)building trust in the brand. I know others probably think 'eh, no big deal' but taking the car to the dealership for a screw up by Lexus (we're not talking about a part that went bad here) and waiting there for hours IS a big deal.

*sigh* Thanks again, Lexus61030
Old 06-07-16, 03:21 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Just spoke with the Service Mgr at my local dealer. This just happened to my new RX and he said that Lexus sent out a software update nationwide that had a bug in it. And his techs have to manually update the firmware at their shop to correct it. He is even puzzled as to why Lexus can't send out the fix over the air just like they did the software that caused this issue. I'm starting to think that Lexus is having quality control issues with the new RX. The 8-speed transmission on the RX350 doesn't shift right and now this!
Old 06-07-16, 03:25 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tyler561
I'm not sure I understand. I'm not even sure why my car needs to phone home at ALL unless I press the SOS button. This has really shaken my trust in Lexus -- and I've only had the vehicle for two weeks.
Looks like a nice little back door that Lexus left in the new generation. I wonder what info they are grabbing out of their customers.
Old 06-07-16, 03:36 PM
coach258
Driver School Candidate

This is what my dealer just sent me. Interesting!! Looks like we may have more malfunction navigation in the next couple of weeks. But still, GPS interference should not cause the whole system to reboot periodically.

I want to apologize for the inconvenience you may be experiencing. We are happy to report that your vehicle is operating correctly and Lexus is not responsible for the concerns.

Please note. There is a 'GPS interference testing', which is being conducted by the Government. This is also affecting your Navigation system.

Please note the following dates.
On June 7, 9, 21, 23, 28, and 30th the GPS interference testing will be taking place between 9:30am and 3:30pm Pacific time.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...hours-day.html

* What IS the Government testing? Secret California tests to black out GPS for six hours a day. Advisory warns ‘all aircraft relying on GPS’ over the area may feel effects
* GPS interference testing' may disrupt signals as low as 50 ft above ground
* It says that GPS signals may be ‘unreliable or unavailable’ for hours
(By CHEYENNE MACDONALD FOR DAILYMAIL.COM
PUBLISHED: 14:49 EST, 7 June 2016 | UPDATED: 15:32 EST, 7 June 2016)
* The US government is conducting a series of mysterious tests on the West Coast that could disrupt GPS signals for hundreds of miles around. In a document published this weekend, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued a flight advisory for six days this month, when the ‘GPS interference testing’ will occur. The first event takes place today, and could render GPS signals as low as 50 feet above the ground ‘unreliable or unavailable’ for hours.
Old 06-07-16, 05:38 PM
ATLexus350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tyler561

I'm sorry if my frustration is showing through, it's nothing against you. I appreciate the info that you've shared with us. I really hope Lexus does the right thing and is transparent with owners. It would go a long way in (re)building trust in the brand. I know others probably think 'eh, no big deal' but taking the car to the dealership for a screw up by Lexus (we're not talking about a part that went bad here) and waiting there for hours IS a big deal.

*sigh* Thanks again, Lexus61030
I'm right there with you, Tyler561! Only 2 weeks in my new RX350 and it's my first Lexus. Not feeling great about spending $50k+ and having this happen. And why is it affecting my radio, too! What's to say it won't happen regularly? I got the nav so I didn't have to keep a garmin in the car. Now what??? And them not having any idea how long it's going to be a problem is NOT comforting at all!
Old 06-07-16, 05:43 PM
ATLexus350
Driver School Candidate

Here's an article I just found about it...

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?...LAK1I6H4HOJFFV
Old 06-07-16, 05:52 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 419 Posts

I guess this is where Lexus Canada's decision to offer 1990s technology infotainment system in Canadian market cars is advantageous😆😆😆😆😆😆
Old 06-07-16, 06:24 PM
Comfort
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a news article I just read....

An unknown number of Lexus automobiles have seen their infotainment and navigation head units broken by a bug in an over-the-air software update from Lexus.
The glitch, which was confirmed by a Lexus spokesperson, was delivered in a routine software update. In affected cars, it can cause the dashboard screen to spontaneously reset itself and, as a result, both the radio and navigation system can be unusable. It affects cars equipped with Lexus' Enform system with navigation.
Lexus social media channels have been flooded by frustrated owners, but the company has been unable to give any estimates for when the problem will be resolved. The company also couldn't say whether customers will see the problem fix itself with another software update or if they will need to head into dealers to get it fixed. Some users on Twitter have reported success with disconnecting their battery for a few moments to force a reset of the system.
Tesla has been the most prominent automaker to regularly issue over-the-air software updates, even offering the ability to pay to unlock new features. But, like with tablets and smartphones, seamless software updates can sometimes be a double-edged sword by breaking more than they fix.
Old 06-07-16, 07:06 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My RX started doing this at 5:30 PM pst on Tuesday 6/7/2016. The system crashed once before about a month ago. That time it rebooted itself and and all was normal until today. I think there was also a Pink flash but can't recall For certain.

Spoke with Lexus of Glendale and the recommendation was to wait a day or two before bringing it in. He said that Lexus may be able to push out a fix.

Last edited by roblim; 06-07-16 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 08:01 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

So mine was fine when I left work to go home, when I got home I grabbed my ballot and went to head for the polls and when I restarted the car mine unit was doing this.

I hit my SOS button and talked to the enform rep, he told me an update to enform was sent out to customer vehicles and the update is what caused this, he advised me to disconnect the battery wait 5 minutes and reconnect, I did this when I got home and my unit came back.

he stated a fix was in the works and the units should update again within 24 hours to fix the issue, the battery disconnect may be a temporary fix and the unit may return to the issue when it gets it's download from enform.

Last edited by mjeds; 06-07-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 08:40 PM
Samour
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default start screen reebooting

I have a 2016 RX 350 with luxury package. with the big nav screen. Just today the startup screen keeps on reeboting looks like. cannot ge to nav or audio. happens every 30 seconds. any one can duplicate? thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-16, 08:57 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine did this once this afternoon but seems to be ok atm. I'm concerned the next time I use it it will exhibit the issue you guys are experiencing.

Quick Reply: Navigation screen not working, flashes pink screen every 12 seconds