RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-16, 01:46 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
Has anyone tried using a higher octane fuel? I had been using 87 since I got it and yesterday I firgured I would try 93-Vpower shell and for the last 200 miles running the fuel it has greatly improved this hesitation problem for me, for awhile I though it was in my head but is same places where I would feel that lag for second it is gone. Runs really smooth now.
If it is really bothering you give it try..
Funny you post this...Ive been on 91 oct for the last 3 tanks and it's been much better. I too have been thinking its in my head, but it really does feel smoother at both light and heavy acceleration. Doesnt matter if im in eco, normal, sport.
Old 12-31-16, 04:19 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 518 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by s4iscool
Funny you post this...Ive been on 91 oct for the last 3 tanks and it's been much better. I too have been thinking its in my head, but it really does feel smoother at both light and heavy acceleration. Doesnt matter if im in eco, normal, sport.
Do you see any difference in fuel economy when you use premium fuel? You would think that all the vibration would cause the engine timing to adjust to reduce the vibration and hence burn more fuel?? ⛽⛽⛽
Old 01-02-17, 10:28 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Do you see any difference in fuel economy when you use premium fuel? You would think that all the vibration would cause the engine timing to adjust to reduce the vibration and hence burn more fuel?? ⛽⛽⛽
I dont have vibration issues, and fuel economy hasnt noticeably changed between 87 - 91, then again its only been a few tanks.
Old 01-02-17, 07:12 PM
Kajnbabe
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryu
I am a new member and first time Lexus owner of the 2016 RX 350. I am finding a real hesitation issue with my car. I took it into the dealer and after several days told me it is working as it should?

Am I the only one with this problem? Please let me know if anyone else has it. I am in conversation with Lexus HQ about this issue.
I have only had my RX 350 about 5 weeks now and I notice there is hesitation when I take off from a stop sign or light. I started monitoring it in ECO setting vs Normal setting about 3 days ago and it's seems better in the normal setting.
Old 01-05-17, 09:35 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It really isn't in my head try prem fuel and you will see it will be at least 95% better if not perfect, this is now my 5 fill up and it running perfect.
If you doubt it just try it you got nothing lose but about $7 extra and your see the hesitation isn't there at all.
Old 01-05-17, 11:04 AM
integroid
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
My RX only has about 3500 miles on it and I have used Premium since I pulled it off the dealer lot except for one time. In that one time I noticed the hesitation issues everyone is talking about....Plus the fuel economy sucked so I went back to 93 octane and havent had issues since. I do tend to get the bucking from a rolling start but that is more in the Transmission programming I would think.
Old 01-05-17, 12:31 PM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Reason I tried prem was it reminded me of when I had my GS and I tried regular fuel during the Hurricane and it gave me that same feeling, so then I said let me try it and sure enough now after 5 tanks and about 1600 miles it really isn't in my head and it really drives without that lag. On occasion if I go from 50 to 10 I will feel downswift, but that is it which I think may be normal with 8 speed and me hitting brakes hard.

I really think regular fuel is the main cause of this issue, I am sure it doesn't ruin anything so Lexus firgured we can market a Luxury SUV that uses regular gas. Being that I drive about 20k miles a year that was selling point to me but the reality is it really needs prem for it to drive without that hesitation. Maybe that why the manual says reduced performance may occur.

I am just happy there is fix, not happy about the extra cost but at same time it is Lexus.

I think they should make it requirement to avoid this backlash of compliants.
The following users liked this post:
kkimbo (07-31-20)
Old 01-05-17, 12:45 PM
clwu
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
It really isn't in my head try prem fuel and you will see it will be at least 95% better if not perfect
Same for me. It dosen't make it 100% better, but its much much better on high octane. Switching to Sport mode further improves the drive to literally no hesitation.
The following users liked this post:
P17rx350 (01-18-17)
Old 01-05-17, 12:47 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baxter64
Of course it will do NOTHING to the car overtime.
It is merely a throttle frequency adjuster, which makes the ECU more instantly responsive and the transmission more responsive so the lag and hesitation does not occur.

Why do you think people say 'Sport Mode" fixes it?
Its because it is not an issues at all... it is simply the retarded fly by wire and its ECU software that is focused on Emissions and Fuel Economy, instead of driver comfort and pleasure.

Buy the booster and problem solved.
Or you could keep it in sport mode with the tradeoff being less gas mileage
Old 01-10-17, 06:41 AM
lulu6948
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry same issue

we purchased our 2016 RX in July and took it to the dealer in early August . At that time a tech when with me for a drive and confirmed that we had hesitation problem he stated that they had just heard about the issue from Lexus and that a fix was in the works.. In early September we were told that the fix was being tested and needed to have government approval b4 being released. Most likely the fix would be ready in November.....we are still being told the same thing today two months after November .. can't get anyone interested in resolving the issue.... maybe a software patch is what is needed ....I don't know but I do know that with all the hype about customer satisfaction pitched by Lexus.........it feels a whole lot more like customer abuse .....to me.
Old 01-13-17, 02:05 PM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

UPDATE: HEY GUYS! So far so good. I took my 16' 4RX in for the 5K service last weekend (told them about the transmission hesitation problem), and ever since I received the vehicle back, I haven't experienced the hesitation anymore in Normal driving mode (I'm in the Texas Southern Region and still using Regular 87 fuel). The engine acceleration feels much more responsive & predictable and driving is a lot more fun now. I feel like I can finally drive with confidence when crossing the street.
Old 01-13-17, 02:46 PM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Darith
UPDATE: HEY GUYS! So far so good. I took my 16' 4RX in for the 5K service last weekend (told them about the transmission hesitation problem), and ever since I received the vehicle back, I haven't experienced the hesitation anymore in Normal driving mode (I'm in the Texas Southern Region and still using Regular 87 fuel). The engine acceleration feels much more responsive & predictable and driving is a lot more fun now. I feel like I can finally drive with confidence when crossing the street.
what did they do to it? Did they give you a work order?
Old 01-13-17, 02:49 PM
Gribble
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently bought the Apexi Smart controller, it has done wonders for the hesitation lag. I keep the car in sport mode and use the light blue eco mode on the Apexi controller and now the car shifts so much better at lower speeds. Install is plug and play and takes about 5 mins or so
Old 01-15-17, 05:27 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brhfriend
I always use Sport mode, and recommend it heartedly to all.

The Car Dealer that I bought from said that he did the same thing. He stated that typically Sport Mode only costs 1 MPG in fuel economy. However, I certainly do agree that driving style could further impact this. FYI, I have not independently verified the impact to MPG.
does it stiffen up the steering in sport mode in the rx350? I prefer the tour mode steering feel with sport mode transmission shifting.
Old 01-15-17, 05:31 PM
615tpc
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gribble
I recently bought the Apexi Smart controller, it has done wonders for the hesitation lag. I keep the car in sport mode and use the light blue eco mode on the Apexi controller and now the car shifts so much better at lower speeds. Install is plug and play and takes about 5 mins or so
ok I searched and found the apexi website. How did you spec it out for the rx350? Did you install it yourself...please share details and thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Hesitation problem at various speeds (TSB info post #159)