RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tranny and wheel bearing problem show up at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 04:16 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny and wheel bearing problem show up at the same time

My RX F just turned 3 yr, with 45k. Recently starting to hear road noise, and shifting chatter in the low gears.

Tires are still new with 10k. But I went to the tire shop first, to make sure the noise is not from the tires.

First time going to Newport Lexus, in fact to the dealer after the first two free service, since I did all maintenance myself. The SA call out a tech to road test with me. Luckily we easily reproduced those to issues. The tech addressed the noise issue as a bad wheel bearing. And for the tranny issue, he thought it's from 2nd-3nd. He had to do more real-time monitoring for a fix.

It's surprising to everyone that these problem came this early. But the good thing is everything still under warranty. I guess it would be a good time for me to shop for the extended warranty.
Old 04-27-16, 05:25 PM
bobys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tyranny issues are very disappointing. I've got the six speed model and am coming from a Honda Odyssey known for frequent and repeated failures. Honda said they had no idea that there was a transmission problem but Edmunds had already published data indicating such. Lies, no more Hondas.

Did you have any indications or suspicions 5 or 10k miles before?

Are the sixes known for problems?
Old 04-27-16, 09:13 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bobys
Tyranny issues are very disappointing. I've got the six speed model and am coming from a Honda Odyssey known for frequent and repeated failures. Honda said they had no idea that there was a transmission problem but Edmunds had already published data indicating such. Lies, no more Hondas.

Did you have any indications or suspicions 5 or 10k miles before?

Are the sixes known for problems?
Mine is 8-speed. No any indication until two weeks ago. Chatter only happens between 2-3. Otherwise, driving is fine. I did some search online or in the forum, no found.
Old 04-27-16, 09:17 PM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Got a call from the SA. One wheel bearing will be replaced, part ordered. Whole transmission assembly has to be replaced. And there is only one available in the US. Hopefully no order placed before mine. I asked if it would be a rebuilt transmission. SA said it would be labeled as remanufactured, but in fact only the casing is reused. All parts inside are new and latest. Not sure if it is true. Have to keep the loaner for a few days then.
Old 04-28-16, 07:32 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2nd year rx f 40k miles. Rotors/breaks, and possible rear shocks being replaced.

Tranny is acting up a bit as well, but they said it doesn't look "damaged". Not sure what that means. But I'm going through pretty crappy stuff with my rx f. and wife only drives to work and back.

75mph breaking creates vibrations and sloppy braking. Sloppy bouncy ride...it was perfect for first 20k miles.

Im told, it will be in the shop for 4 days at least.
Old 04-28-16, 10:35 AM
Jadon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by niklow
2nd year rx f 40k miles. Rotors/breaks, and possible rear shocks being replaced.

Tranny is acting up a bit as well, but they said it doesn't look "damaged". Not sure what that means. But I'm going through pretty crappy stuff with my rx f. and wife only drives to work and back.

75mph breaking creates vibrations and sloppy braking. Sloppy bouncy ride...it was perfect for first 20k miles.

Im told, it will be in the shop for 4 days at least.
I replaced my front pad at 35k. Tires replaced at 30k. What issue did you have on the rear shocks? Leaking? Next brake job, I am going to replace both pads and rotors. I do all maintenance myself. Only visit the dealer for warranty stuff.