RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Force the HVAC to stay on fresh?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 07:36 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Force the HVAC to stay on fresh?

S there anyway to have the HVAC stay on fresh, if you don't have the luxury package? It seems the system favors the recycle mode and things start to smell like wet dog if I don't constantly remember to keep it on fresh

Thanks.
Old 04-04-16, 06:29 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

My Audi has that option, but the RX doesn't.
You have to press the Recirc button manually each time you see it turn on.
Everyone has smelly AC - compliments of AC running all the time. An old school trick is to turn it off occasionally to let the mold burn off. There is no button this time - only a menu option. Obviously, this is a no-concern during winter months for us Northern folks.

Or you can take it to the dealer and have them spray the inlet with bleach.
Old 04-04-16, 07:03 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by vlad_a
My Audi has that option, but the RX doesn't. You have to press the Recirc button manually each time you see it turn on. Everyone has smelly AC - compliments of AC running all the time. An old school trick is to turn it off occasionally to let the mold burn off. There is no button this time - only a menu option. Obviously, this is a no-concern during winter months for us Northern folks. Or you can take it to the dealer and have them spray the inlet with bleach.
I was hoping that wasn't the answer. My 99 GS had this option. Fail! How exactly did Toyota think this was a good idea? We use AC pretty much constantly here in the Southwest.
Old 04-04-16, 07:41 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
I was hoping that wasn't the answer. My 99 GS had this option. Fail! How exactly did Toyota think this was a good idea? We use AC pretty much constantly here in the Southwest.
Back in the days, they built cars so good that the only complaint was the HVAC wasn't automatic enough. So they added Auto Recirc and Auto AC on to my 03 IS300, which was different from 01 IS300 I owned before. That means each time the Fan dial hit Auto, it turned AC on and Recirc had a mind of its own. Dealer couldn't change this behavior.
Removing AC button was their next great idea.
As a Mazda exec stated, common sense is not so common in the Auto industry.
Old 04-07-16, 05:32 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Don't know how much of this is BS, but the dealership told me Toyota programmed all of their cars to default to recycle "stink mode" to get better fuel ratings and satisfy the EPA! I guess it's why they removed the auto mode from non luxury packaged models. Either way it bites and I guess like I got used to clicking accept with the navi on the old car, every time I got in it, I get to click fresh now or get hit by stench midway to my destination.
Old 04-08-16, 01:26 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

This topic regarding TOYOTA/LEXUS A/C odor has been covered quite often over the years in the CLUBLEXUS forums.

If your system is starting to smell like "wet dog" as you put it, suggest getting the TOYOTA A/C REFRESH KIT ( 00289-ACRKT )
It's 2 cans.
One is a foaming aerosol which you shoot up into the evaporator drain (where the water-condensation comes out) under the car.
It cleans the coils where the mold & bacteria tend to build up due to the moisture and darkness.
The foam eventually starts to break down after a few minutes and will drain back out through the same hole.

The other can is an aerosol to spray into the vent intake at the base of the windshield (near the wipers).

I've used it and it works fairly well.
Costs around $20.
Old 04-08-16, 02:51 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
This topic regarding TOYOTA/LEXUS A/C odor has been covered quite often over the years in the CLUBLEXUS forums. If your system is starting to smell like "wet dog" as you put it, suggest getting the TOYOTA A/C REFRESH KIT ( 00289-ACRKT ) It's 2 cans. One is a foaming aerosol which you shoot up into the evaporator drain (where the water-condensation comes out) under the car. It cleans the coils where the mold & bacteria tend to build up due to the moisture and darkness. The foam eventually starts to break down after a few minutes and will drain back out through the same hole. The other can is an aerosol to spray into the vent intake at the base of the windshield (near the wipers). I've used it and it works fairly well. Costs around $20.
I'd read a lot about using Lysol, but will look for this kit instead. Thanks for the info.