RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Stone "starburst" in windshield (wind screen)

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 06:04 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Stone "starburst" in windshield (wind screen)

So today's little challenge is a damaged windshield - thanks to a rough road and a truck.

Having fought (and lost) the battle with my Good Neighbor already once on another car, I'm bracing for continued push-back against funding/replacing an Original Equipment window.

This car, a 2013 Hybrid, is supposed to have some magic Pixie Dust in the window for noise suppression - and might also have some Frog Hairs in the area where the Heads Up Display reflects - and lastly, the automatic wiper sensor may or may not be magically built into the glass.

I have some very ancient personal and intimate knowledge about car glass - having worked on the assembly line (made "Side Lights" - the term for the Windows that go in the doors) at Chrysler's McGraw Glass Plant one summer as a College Summer Slave.

With that background, and having watched the front windows assembled and tempered on the adjacent line, I can often tell OEM from "Will Fit" on the front window of the car next to me at a light - from the crappy optics (or repairs); and I certainly was able to tell that the last "Will Fit" on my previous car did not compare well to the OEM glass it replaced.

So, this is a long introduction into my question:

Does anyone have any knowledge and/or experience with replacing one of the super duper front windshields on a 450h?

What about the "fix" for star bursts? Mine is about the size of a nickel or quarter.
Old 02-29-16, 08:25 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

RE: fixing cracks, as in real estate, there's 3 things you need to consider: location, location, location. If the star burst is anywhere near the driver's primary area of vision, forget it, go for replacement. Even when fixed if it's directly in front you'll still notice it. If off to the side, it might be worth a fix, Nickel size is what I'd consider the max size for a fix, assuming the star is symmetrical and each crack line is half-nickel size.
Old 03-01-16, 04:12 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Can a car with a repaired or replaced windshield be certified CPO?

What, if any, charge to the leasee is norm a if the car is returned with a damaged windshield? A repaired windshield?

What effect on value does a repaired/replaced window contribute?
Old 03-01-16, 07:21 AM
icmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been in the same situation as you with same insurance company. They will always try to go cheapest way, but they are obligated to fix your car back to its original specs and features if possible.

When they balked at factory replacement windshield for my Lexus($1600), I said fine, I just need a letter from Insurance Company that the cheap replacement windshield meets all Lexus requirements and Lexus will honor any warranty claims associated with features of the Lexus windshield, including reduced cabin noise. Long story short, $200 deductable later I had my factory replacement windshield.

In Texas you can not be forced to take substandard parts on auto insurance repairs. Don't know about other states.

Also, find out who Lexus dealer uses for glass replacement and use them if possible. You can go directly to them and save extra dealer charge for handling it.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-16, 10:19 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Nate, I moved your thread out of the hybrid forum for a wider response. Windshields aren't different either.

Sorry to hear about the damage. I remember Cruiter getting his windshield replaced after accidentally dropping the wiper on it while cleaning the 450h. The dealer replaced it for him since they thought it might be some kind of defect. The RXh suffered no ill effects with the replacement. Now I'm not sure if that will disqualify yours from being certified. But you might get dinged at lease turn in if you do nothing about it..

OE is the ideal way to go. There's a chance some features like the rain sensing wipers not working and the like depending on brand. Just the prospect of having to get the windshield replaced a second time would be enough for me to stick with OE Maybe you'll only pay the difference between another brand and OE. And remember, with quality you only cry once.

Good luck and keep us posted on your starburst.
Old 03-02-16, 03:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Nate, I believe only the side windows are laminated (dual pane) to cut down on wind noise. Early RXs didn't have it. Pretty sure it's standard now. And your 450h is special. It has a starburst in the windshield

A dear friend of mine was responsible for the quote. He told me that after I picked up my first RX. I was excited but also freaked out just coming out of a nightmare of a car. How true it is.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-02-16 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-02-16, 05:53 AM
weirdone
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the insurance replaces it with a high quality windshield.