RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Love my RX450h but hate the wood grain steering wheel, replace?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 08:10 AM
lilti9er
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Love my RX450h but hate the wood grain steering wheel, replace?

Hi all, I'm new here. My husband got me a 2010 RX450h last valentine's for a great deal with only 30k or so miles (I've forgotten). I am the main driver and absolutely love it but I've grown to hate the wood grain / leather steering wheel. I'm very short at 5 ft tall and every time I drive my car while sunny, the sun hits the wood grain and blinds me. I am constantly moving my hand to cover the sun's reflection. My husband drives my previous honda pilot and I never had an issue with its all-leather steering wheel.

My question is, can I (really, my husband) replace the wood grain / leather steering wheel with an all-leather one? I should call the lexus parts dept to see how much the steering wheel costs without the airbag since mine already has one.

TIA, Nancy
Old 01-05-16, 08:32 AM
carguy75
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts

I was wondering the same thing about my wood steering wheel.

It looks very nice, but I would love to have a soft full leather steering wheel instead.

You can purchase a non-wood steering from Lexus for $$$$ dollars or you can try to locate a used one from Ebay or local salvage yard for less money than what a new one from Lexus would cost.
Old 01-05-16, 08:41 AM
lilti9er
Driver School Candidate

That's the route I'm most likely going to take but I haven't found many on ebay. The ones I saw had the wood grain. I did see some all-leather steering wheels that were 2013+ but didn't know if it'd fit my 2010.
Old 01-05-16, 08:54 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, Nancy. There is a leather steering wheel available for 2010 RX. It was standard on RXs with the sport package. No wood on the gear shift either. Mine still looks great after almost six years. Go ahead and contact the dealer to find out price. Also get the part number from them. That should make searching online easier. Good luck, I hope you find one.
Old 01-05-16, 09:05 AM
lilti9er
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Welcome to CL, Nancy. There is a leather steering wheel available for 2010 RX. It was standard on RXs with the sport package. No wood on the gear shift either. Mine still looks great after almost six years. Go ahead and contact the dealer to find out price. Also get the part number from them. That should make searching online easier. Good luck, I hope you find one.
Thank you for the tips kitlz!
Old 01-05-16, 09:07 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Good luck finding one. I'm with you and just hate the feel of the wood wheel. Especially when I have gloves on, it just slips and slides right out of your hand.

Now if I had something like an old Jag, Corvette, MG, etc with a wood wheel, those are fun and I'd have to buy a set of leather driving gloves and keep them in the car. But putting on driving gloves in the car you drive all the time, "ain't nobody got time for that"
Old 01-05-16, 09:20 AM
lilti9er
Driver School Candidate

Aron, that's hilarious!

I just called the dealership and they want $950 for just the steering wheel without controls & airbag. I found one on ebay with controls for $79. If the controls don't work then I can transfer mine over.
Old 01-05-16, 11:10 AM
PEK
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone on here is listing this on RX350 classify:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx3...-shifters.html
Old 01-05-16, 12:57 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just putting a steering wheel cover is not an option? Why change the whole steering for a trivial issue? Get one from here http://wheelskins.com/europerf

They are a pain to put on but work well.
Old 01-05-16, 01:30 PM
mic575
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chandlervt
So just putting a steering wheel cover is not an option? Why change the whole steering for a trivial issue? Get one from here http://wheelskins.com/europerf

I have one of these and its held up really well. Its a good quality product and if you put it on carefully it will look great. I'm sure you could find someone to install if thats not your thing.
Old 01-05-16, 02:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by chandlervt

I wouldn't exactly call being blinded by the sun trivial. Appreciate offering another solution. Options are a good thing.
Old 01-05-16, 02:27 PM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Duct tape?
Old 01-05-16, 05:07 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

$70 is kind of steep for a wheel cover.
I put a leather cover on my Jeep wheel for I think $20, I love it.
Installation is like lacing up a sneaker, just tighter.
Old 01-05-16, 06:06 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Have you tried raising the seat and lowering the steering wheel? (I know stating the obvious) It's such a nice steering wheel I feel bad you aren't enjoying it.

Originally Posted by lilti9er
Hi all, I'm new here. My husband got me a 2010 RX450h last valentine's for a great deal with only 30k or so miles (I've forgotten). I am the main driver and absolutely love it but I've grown to hate the wood grain / leather steering wheel. I'm very short at 5 ft tall and every time I drive my car while sunny, the sun hits the wood grain and blinds me. I am constantly moving my hand to cover the sun's reflection. My husband drives my previous honda pilot and I never had an issue with its all-leather steering wheel.

My question is, can I (really, my husband) replace the wood grain / leather steering wheel with an all-leather one? I should call the lexus parts dept to see how much the steering wheel costs without the airbag since mine already has one.

TIA, Nancy
Old 01-05-16, 10:44 PM
chandlervt
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
I wouldn't exactly call being blinded by the sun trivial. Appreciate offering another solution. Options are a good thing.
Talk about first world problems. I beg to differ on definition of "trivial". Its not like Murano where reverse slope of the hood creates blinding glare. Now THAT is not a trivial issue to fix. Its a steering wheel - a minor annoyance at best which can be easily solved by a $10 walmart steering cover if its creating a "hazard".

Quick Reply: Love my RX450h but hate the wood grain steering wheel, replace?