RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Blackvue Hard Wired?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-15, 10:16 PM
Edubs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackvue Hard Wired?

In case anyone wants to install a Blackvue DR650-gw front and back dash cam with Power Magic Pro, I did this on our 2013 RX 450H.

Fuse 1 for the red wire (power outlet) and fuse 13 (door lock) for the yellow wire constant power. I have the Power Magic set at 11.8V and 6 hour timer so it starts when the car starts and records after the car stops for either 6 hours or when the voltage dips below 11.8V. I grounded to the bolt right next to the fuse box and it works fine. You have to crimp the wires tight as the Power Magic wires are filament.

Last edited by Edubs; 12-29-15 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Found the solution
Old 12-28-15, 01:09 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

What is Blackvue and Power Magic Pro and why do I need them?
Old 12-30-15, 12:45 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edubs
In case anyone wants to install a Blackvue DR650-gw front and back dash cam with Power Magic Pro, I did this on our 2013 RX 450H.

Fuse 1 for the red wire (power outlet) and fuse 13 (door lock) for the yellow wire constant power. I have the Power Magic set at 11.8V and 6 hour timer so it starts when the car starts and records after the car stops for either 6 hours or when the voltage dips below 11.8V. I grounded to the bolt right next to the fuse box and it works fine. You have to crimp the wires tight as the Power Magic wires are filament.

Thank you for sharing. I have the same dashcam which works great, and I bought the Power Magic Pro as well, but I never dared to connect the latter.
Old 12-30-15, 01:11 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,108 Likes on 946 Posts

Edubs are those under dash fuses considered mini or micro? I want to add a power tap to mine.
Old 12-30-15, 02:37 PM
Edubs
Driver School Candidate

I bought the low profile blade atm Mini add a fuse taps. I put the original fuse in the slot closest to the pins. In the photo you can see the original red 10amp fuse in the first slot closest to the pins.
Old 02-19-16, 11:37 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With that option, the blackvue is recording the whole time (unless you cross the 6 hour mark, or voltage dips below 11.8).
From what I've read, you can have the blackvue not record all the time, but if/when there is any impact to the car, it starts recording. Have you tried that option? (just wondering how well it works - before I buy it). I don't want it recording the whole time I'm away - just record if there is impact.
Old 02-19-16, 11:55 AM
Edubs
Driver School Candidate

Yes, you are correct. In fact, I really never see the recording light turned off which might be due to the 450h battery. Supposedly, the system goes into parking mode after 5 min of non movement. I have been lucky to not get hit while parked. However, I think if you didn't want to record constantly, you just set the mode to lower record time and there should be enough juice to record the impact. Or, I think you can turn off the multi-boot function and only record while the car is moving. Now when the car is stopped, I'm not sure if it will detect a hit. However, I have not personally experienced this. You might want to ask on a Blackvue site or call their customer service line.
Old 02-19-16, 12:12 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

Thanks
The parking mode is what I meant to say. With other dashcams, when you run out of the battery charge level that is set, or you cross the timer that is set, it won't record anything - even if there is an impact. So, I was thinking the parking mode is a better option (true - it may not detect somebody keying your car, and will not record somebody crashing into your car - it will record what happens after somebody crashes into the car) - but that should be ok (I think)

With parking mode, I'm thinking set the timer to infinity, and set battery voltage level to a reasonable level 11.8 would be too low for me - just scared! lol!), and enable parking mode. If it works as expected, it should record any and all impacts because it won't be recording all the time - only when there is some impact.

I had Emailed their customer service team about 10 days ago - absolutely no response (despite a reminder about 3 days ago). Not a good sign.
Old 02-19-16, 12:31 PM
Edubs
Driver School Candidate

You can also adjust the parking mode sensitivity to save power. The key is really making sure that the Power Magic Pro is always delivering power to the Blackvue.
Old 02-19-16, 01:08 PM
jj14
Lead Lap

True. Thanks. I'll order mine this weekend
Old 02-19-16, 08:05 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did you route the wires up to the dash? I'm looking to run one up A pillar to mirror but couldn't figure out a way through dash. Haven't pulled open A pillar to look yet though.
Old 02-21-16, 08:18 AM
Edubs
Driver School Candidate

You can cross the A pillar via a seam near the Airbag logo.
Old 02-21-16, 09:43 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about all that space between the A pillar and fuse box?
Old 02-21-16, 10:10 AM
Edubs
Driver School Candidate

I ran mine down to the fuse box under the rubber door siding.
Old 09-14-17, 04:49 AM
igorz
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Would you be able to close the fuse box with installed fuse taps? it looks like there is no space between lid and the fuse box to keep it closed with the taps, or I'm wrong?

Thanks & Regards
Igor

Quick Reply: Blackvue Hard Wired?