ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   Blackvue Hard Wired? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/807254-blackvue-hard-wired.html)

Edubs 12-26-15 10:16 PM

Blackvue Hard Wired?

In case anyone wants to install a Blackvue DR650-gw front and back dash cam with Power Magic Pro, I did this on our 2013 RX 450H.

Fuse 1 for the red wire (power outlet) and fuse 13 (door lock) for the yellow wire constant power. I have the Power Magic set at 11.8V and 6 hour timer so it starts when the car starts and records after the car stops for either 6 hours or when the voltage dips below 11.8V. I grounded to the bolt right next to the fuse box and it works fine. You have to crimp the wires tight as the Power Magic wires are filament.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...2478f8f183.jpg

Marqevans 12-28-15 01:09 PM

What is Blackvue and Power Magic Pro and why do I need them?

iginoc 12-30-15 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs (Post 9300371)
In case anyone wants to install a Blackvue DR650-gw front and back dash cam with Power Magic Pro, I did this on our 2013 RX 450H.

Fuse 1 for the red wire (power outlet) and fuse 13 (door lock) for the yellow wire constant power. I have the Power Magic set at 11.8V and 6 hour timer so it starts when the car starts and records after the car stops for either 6 hours or when the voltage dips below 11.8V. I grounded to the bolt right next to the fuse box and it works fine. You have to crimp the wires tight as the Power Magic wires are filament.

Thank you for sharing. I have the same dashcam which works great, and I bought the Power Magic Pro as well, but I never dared to connect the latter.

Clutchless 12-30-15 01:11 PM

Edubs are those under dash fuses considered mini or micro? I want to add a power tap to mine.

Edubs 12-30-15 02:37 PM

I bought the low profile blade atm Mini add a fuse taps. I put the original fuse in the slot closest to the pins. In the photo you can see the original red 10amp fuse in the first slot closest to the pins.

jj14 02-19-16 11:37 AM

With that option, the blackvue is recording the whole time (unless you cross the 6 hour mark, or voltage dips below 11.8).
From what I've read, you can have the blackvue not record all the time, but if/when there is any impact to the car, it starts recording. Have you tried that option? (just wondering how well it works - before I buy it). I don't want it recording the whole time I'm away - just record if there is impact.

Edubs 02-19-16 11:55 AM

Yes, you are correct. In fact, I really never see the recording light turned off which might be due to the 450h battery. Supposedly, the system goes into parking mode after 5 min of non movement. I have been lucky to not get hit while parked. However, I think if you didn't want to record constantly, you just set the mode to lower record time and there should be enough juice to record the impact. Or, I think you can turn off the multi-boot function and only record while the car is moving. Now when the car is stopped, I'm not sure if it will detect a hit. However, I have not personally experienced this. You might want to ask on a Blackvue site or call their customer service line.

jj14 02-19-16 12:12 PM

The parking mode is what I meant to say. With other dashcams, when you run out of the battery charge level that is set, or you cross the timer that is set, it won't record anything - even if there is an impact. So, I was thinking the parking mode is a better option (true - it may not detect somebody keying your car, and will not record somebody crashing into your car - it will record what happens after somebody crashes into the car) - but that should be ok (I think) :)

With parking mode, I'm thinking set the timer to infinity, and set battery voltage level to a reasonable level 11.8 would be too low for me - just scared! lol!), and enable parking mode. If it works as expected, it should record any and all impacts because it won't be recording all the time - only when there is some impact.

I had Emailed their customer service team about 10 days ago - absolutely no response (despite a reminder about 3 days ago). Not a good sign.

Edubs 02-19-16 12:31 PM

You can also adjust the parking mode sensitivity to save power. The key is really making sure that the Power Magic Pro is always delivering power to the Blackvue.

jj14 02-19-16 01:08 PM

True. Thanks. I'll order mine this weekend

ThChinaman 02-19-16 08:05 PM

How did you route the wires up to the dash? I'm looking to run one up A pillar to mirror but couldn't figure out a way through dash. Haven't pulled open A pillar to look yet though.

Edubs 02-21-16 08:18 AM

You can cross the A pillar via a seam near the Airbag logo.

ThChinaman 02-21-16 09:43 AM

What about all that space between the A pillar and fuse box?

Edubs 02-21-16 10:10 AM

I ran mine down to the fuse box under the rubber door siding.

igorz 09-14-17 04:49 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...2478f8f183.jpg

Hello,

Would you be able to close the fuse box with installed fuse taps? it looks like there is no space between lid and the fuse box to keep it closed with the taps, or I'm wrong?

Thanks & Regards
Igor