RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Flying mad with service

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 05:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Very true. That's one thing ross072566 has going for him. I was in a similar situation years ago (before Lexus). Brought in my less than year old vehicle for a shopping list of problems. I think it was trip number 10 or 11. Not a single time for routine maintenance. The dealer didn't fix anything. Instead they scratched the fender down to the metal. Enraged? Absolutely. Talk about adding insult to injury. The service manager noted the damage on my three page RO with a promise to fix it. That never happened. The next time I saw that service manager, he was the car manufacturer's expert witness at my lemon law hearing. And I was civil with hm.

That's why I mentioned documenting everything. Words are my weapons. No doubt my 360+ page binder including a 30-page chronology of events I prepared for the hearing helped me prevail. I'm not saying to go to that extreme. Just make some notes so you can refer to them easily. It's easy to forget when emotions interfere.

At this point Lexus Corporate will intervene on your behalf. You don't have to speak to the dealer, they'll do it for you. Hopefully they'll come back with a resolution so you can get your RX fixed and put this behind you.
Old 09-02-15, 04:51 AM
ross072566
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car damaged while serviced at Love Lexus St. Albans, WV.

This is long, so forgive me. I am a new owner of a Lexus RX 350 and this is my first time owning a Lexus. This was supposed to be mine and my wife's dream car. Due to the experience with taking it to get serviced at Love Lexus I'm not so sure now.

On August 22nd I took my Lexus RX350 to Love Lexus in St. Albans, WV., for the 5000 miles service. I'll get to that in a minute. A little background first. Mind you I bought our RX in Winston-Salem, NC. The reason being is that Scott Hunter our salesperson beat every other dealership's price by almost $3200! I tried to deal with Love Lexus but the experience there was not the best. I really believe Vernon the salesman didn't believe I was a serious buyer.

We sat down to talk pricing and really couldn't get a straight answer from him. When we test drove the vehicle he basically told us to do a circle in the parking lot and notice how tight it turned. We drove it for about 15 minutes and that was it. He did not go along for the test drive. Which was fine. Some people do feel pressured if a salesman goes along. We were not at all impressed with the dealership.

Anyway, back to the service. I take my vehicle in for the 5000 mile service. I was told this would be a tire rotation and a check of the fluids. The appointment was for 10 AM. I arrived early and Tyler in service had me fill out some paperwork and then I gave him my keys at 9:50 AM. At 10:15 AM I was paged to come and get my vehicle. I thought that this was kind of quick for a rotation and checking of fluids. It was already finished and parked on the other side of the dealership building.

I go out to get in it and decide to do a "walk around" to check for any damage. I get to the right rear and I see that the vehicle has been hit. It has been hit so hard that the inside of the fender well is pulled out around the bumper. On the bumper behind the wheel at about the 9 o'clock position the bumper has been scraped. And the bumper has been creased as if it's been pushed up or lifted from the bottom. I pop the fender well back in and then I go in to get Tyler. He comes back out and we discuss it. I stayed calm throughout the whole discussion and was polite. He goes in and talks to the service guy and comes back and tells me that Tony was the one that worked on it and that he hadn't hit anything. We go back in and he takes some contact information down. As I'm leaving I decide to ask a salesman to come out and look at my vehicle. He was sort of surprised himself and immediately called the body shop to get things rolling. The owner of the body shop was on vacation somewhere and said he would get on it when he came back.

I then go back on August 25th to get a loaner. I'm told to come and get a loaner while they fix my vehicle. The loaner was a 2015 ES. It was so dirty inside and out that I immediately cleaned it when I got home. I've never seen a vehicle that new with so many scratches and dings on it. Then on August 28th Tyler calls me and tells me that they would not be fixing my vehicle and that I needed to bring the loaner back. Needless to say I was in shock.

I have now taken the loaner back and have contacted Lexus service about this incident and I am currently waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully they will be contacting me and fixing my vehicle. If something isn't done or handled in a manner that meets my expectations I will be hard pressed to purchase another Lexus if the service experience is going to be like this. In all my years of owning vehicles I have never had a vehicle hit or damaged while being serviced. Needless to say this has been a big disappointment and not very good start with me and the Lexus brand.

Update: Lexus has contacted me back and took all pertinent information from me. She stated that she would contact the dealership and see what they were going to do about it. She also stated she would see what she could do on her end. I told her I know what they will say. They will say that they didn't do it and they will not fix it. She stated that she needed to here back from them and see what their reply is. Said she would contact me by Friday. So we are in a holding pattern now.
Old 09-02-15, 06:47 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. I assume from you complete explanation that your dealership did not do a physical inspection of the vehicle while checking it in. The last 3 I've been to here in CA and in GA, all do that and as part of the quick signatures with paperwork before work begins, I always must initial that diagram where any existing dents, scratches, or nicks are noted. I see the dealer doing that both for their protection, and honestly mine if I ever had a situation like yours.

Hopefully Lexus Corporate will help make this right with you. Appears something must be happening that you (and we) don't know about given the dealer first said you could have the vehicle repaired and gave you a loaner -- then backed-out of that. Very odd. If I were you, once I get the problem resolved, I'd find another Lexus Dealership -- sure seems like this one does not have the customer as their #1 priority.

Best wishes for a quick and successful resolution.
Old 09-02-15, 07:48 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

WOW!!? So sorry to hear this Ross. This must be a very rare event. I have gone to two different Lexus Dealerships in my area. And both have been top notch. Praying that they will make you whole again.
Old 09-02-15, 08:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Don't let one dealership ruin your Lexus experience. I recently had issue with the dealer I bought my RX from. Needless to say, I had to go to a different dealer and so far the new one has been great. Hopefully your dealer does the right thing and fix the vehicle . Perhaps they can throw in some compensation to make up for the trouble.
Old 09-02-15, 08:31 AM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ross072566
This is long, so forgive me. I am a new owner of a Lexus RX 350 and this is my first time owning a Lexus. This was supposed to be mine and my wife's dream car. Due to the experience with taking it to get serviced at Love Lexus I'm not so sure now.

On August 22nd I took my Lexus RX350 to Love Lexus in St. Albans, WV., for the 5000 miles service. I'll get to that in a minute. A little background first. Mind you I bought our RX in Winston-Salem, NC. The reason being is that Scott Hunter our salesperson beat every other dealership's price by almost $3200! I tried to deal with Love Lexus but the experience there was not the best. I really believe Vernon the salesman didn't believe I was a serious buyer.

We sat down to talk pricing and really couldn't get a straight answer from him. When we test drove the vehicle he basically told us to do a circle in the parking lot and notice how tight it turned. We drove it for about 15 minutes and that was it. He did not go along for the test drive. Which was fine. Some people do feel pressured if a salesman goes along. We were not at all impressed with the dealership.

Anyway, back to the service. I take my vehicle in for the 5000 mile service. I was told this would be a tire rotation and a check of the fluids. The appointment was for 10 AM. I arrived early and Tyler in service had me fill out some paperwork and then I gave him my keys at 9:50 AM. At 10:15 AM I was paged to come and get my vehicle. I thought that this was kind of quick for a rotation and checking of fluids. It was already finished and parked on the other side of the dealership building.

I go out to get in it and decide to do a "walk around" to check for any damage. I get to the right rear and I see that the vehicle has been hit. It has been hit so hard that the inside of the fender well is pulled out around the bumper. On the bumper behind the wheel at about the 9 o'clock position the bumper has been scraped. And the bumper has been creased as if it's been pushed up or lifted from the bottom. I pop the fender well back in and then I go in to get Tyler. He comes back out and we discuss it. I stayed calm throughout the whole discussion and was polite. He goes in and talks to the service guy and comes back and tells me that Tony was the one that worked on it and that he hadn't hit anything. We go back in and he takes some contact information down. As I'm leaving I decide to ask a salesman to come out and look at my vehicle. He was sort of surprised himself and immediately called the body shop to get things rolling. The owner of the body shop was on vacation somewhere and said he would get on it when he came back.

I then go back on August 25th to get a loaner. I'm told to come and get a loaner while they fix my vehicle. The loaner was a 2015 ES. It was so dirty inside and out that I immediately cleaned it when I got home. I've never seen a vehicle that new with so many scratches and dings on it. Then on August 28th Tyler calls me and tells me that they would not be fixing my vehicle and that I needed to bring the loaner back. Needless to say I was in shock.

I have now taken the loaner back and have contacted Lexus service about this incident and I am currently waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully they will be contacting me and fixing my vehicle. If something isn't done or handled in a manner that meets my expectations I will be hard pressed to purchase another Lexus if the service experience is going to be like this. In all my years of owning vehicles I have never had a vehicle hit or damaged while being serviced. Needless to say this has been a big disappointment and not very good start with me and the Lexus brand.

Update: Lexus has contacted me back and took all pertinent information from me. She stated that she would contact the dealership and see what they were going to do about it. She also stated she would see what she could do on her end. I told her I know what they will say. They will say that they didn't do it and they will not fix it. She stated that she needed to here back from them and see what their reply is. Said she would contact me by Friday. So we are in a holding pattern now.
so was it necessary to start a new thread on the same issue?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...h-service.html
Old 09-02-15, 09:07 AM
ross072566
Rookie

I figure with the new thread I would expound a little more about the problem. In doing so it gives more info. I apologize if I've offended anybody. They did not do a walk sound and check for damage of any kind when I arrived. I feel like by them giving me a loaner and saying they'd call me when it was fixed shows me an admission of guilt. We'll see.
Old 09-02-15, 11:47 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm surprised that a dealer would not do a walk around and notate body issues.

I have been to 4 Lexus dealers for service and every one has done a walk around and notates every little paint chip, door ding, scratch etc. Then I'm asked to sign the inspection sheet. In addition to signing I also initial each notated defect just in case a new scratch appears and finds its way to the sheet.

When I get a loaner the dealer has me walk around the loaner to note any scratches etc.

Even Ford dealers I've used do the same thing.

When renting uhaul or Penski trucks they do the same. Every scratch, dent etc is noted on the rental inspection sheet if you opt out of their insurance.

Who else has a Lexus dealer who doesn't do walk arounds?

Last edited by FLYCT; 09-02-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-02-15, 01:12 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I've merged the threads after getting the OK from ross072566. I think we can all understand how frustrating it can be and not typical of what most of us have experienced at our dealers. At least it's in Lexus Corporate's hands. Hopefully they'll come through with a resolution acceptable to all. And I've done the same with dealer loaners clearing off foot marks on the back of the front seats. I know I wouldn't see it while driving but OCD kicked in. I also found a checkbook between the seat and middle console. Water bottle top fell and I went to get it. Too bad you didn't find some money in the process.

I'm pushing for a happy ending here.
Old 09-07-15, 01:16 PM
ross072566
Rookie

Update: I have spoken with Lexus rep twice now. She states that Love Lexus said that they don't think they were at fault and didn't do the damage. So on the second call she said she is still waiting from the dealership to hear if they are going to fix it. After speaking with her I got the impression, even though she states she isn't, that she thinks Love Lexus shouldn't have to fix it and I sort of think she also thinks they didn't do the damage. I stated my thoughts about how I felt to her and I also stated that if they don't fix it I would take legal action against them. This is when she asked me if I wanted her to tell them that. I said no, but if they don't fix it I believe I would follow up with it in small claims court. She said she wouldn't tell and would call me back this week.

After speaking with her I wasn't too enthusiastic about it getting fixed. She also stated that Lexus wouldn't fix it but that the dealership would have to. She also again went through the story about how each dealership is independently owned and they can't make the dealership do anything they don't want to do. In all my life I have NEVER had damage to a vehicle during a service call. I'm just really surprised how this is being handled. I really thought Love Lexus would come clean and be honest about what they have done and repair the damage. I'm really doubtful now that this is going to end in my favor.
Old 09-07-15, 03:01 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Who else has a Lexus dealer who doesn't do walk arounds?
Dealer I go to does not. I was quite surprised last time I went..there is a very noticeable scrape on the bumper (yep, I did it). They did not comment on it or notice it at all. They filled in some kind of pseudo inspection report as if to prove they actually did something other than the free oil change, but other than check tire pressure, not really sure what it was
Old 09-09-15, 11:57 AM
ross072566
Rookie

Just got off the phone with Lexus. They stated that the dealership would replace the "clip" and repaint the bumper. I guess the clip is what holds the bumper in place. She said there would be a credit of $418 on the account to do the work and the work has to be done through the dealership in order to get the credit. Thoughts on this? I've tried to enclose some pics. Hopefully they came through alright. As you can see in the pic the plastic has been creased and I wonder if this is fixable?
Attached Thumbnails Flying mad with service-image.jpg  

Last edited by ross072566; 09-09-15 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 12:52 PM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ross072566
Just got off the phone with Lexus. They stated that the dealership would replace the "clip" and repaint the bumper. I guess the clip is what holds the bumper in place. She said there would be a credit of $418 on the account to do the work and the work has to be done through the dealership in order to get the credit. Thoughts on this? I've tried to enclose some pics. Hopefully they came through alright. As you can see in the pic the plastic has been creased and I wonder if this is fixable?

You meant the work has to be done at THAT dealership? AVOID!
Old 09-09-15, 12:58 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

this does not sound like terrific customer sanctification to me? no way would i want those dealership monkeys touching my car!
Old 09-09-15, 01:58 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would take them up on their offer. I would just point out the crack and insist it was repaired.

Also confirm that they will remove the bumper cover and paint it off the car. Local Lexus dealer did this with a Prius I owned and claimed the proper way was to remove the bumper cover, paint it, bake it then reinstall it.

The body shop did not do the damage but they would be responsible for making sure the repair was done correctly. Ask them about warranty. Most times Lexus Dealer body shops warranty work for lifetime. If the oaint goes bad they will redo it.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Flying mad with service