RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Did Lexus Dealer Do Me Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 06:30 AM
drivemycar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did Lexus Dealer Do Me Wrong?

I guess many Club Lexus members know that Lexus is encouraging leasing of its used cars with low miles, and offering through Toyota Financial very low money rates, to open a "new vein" of customer base. Next week I've got a follow up appointment at the Lexus dealer at which I leased a 2012 RX 350 with 21K miles on it, CPO, for a lease payment in mid 300s with no money down. This RX 350 was bought by them at auction about 70 days before I leased. The CarFax was pretty clean, and as I say, it had CPO protection. But a few days after I signed the lease, I saw (thanks to reading Club Lexus) that many recommend reading the LexusCarDrivers report, and so I did, after the fact, and wow, what differences between it and the CarFax report. Turns out my car was driven excessively hard by the prior owner in Brooklyn and parts of New Jersey (navi settings revealed that), Its brake pads had to be replaced at only 17K miles. Its tires were replaced at 10K. Current dealer, after buying the car at auction, had to repair "deep scratches and repair rock chips." None of these events were reported on CarFax.

So, the car runs fine, and is a clean car with low mileage. No harm, no foul, you may say. It's got the CPO protection. My dealer is probably gonig to say: " CarFax misses alot of stuff." But I'll say: "hey, even YOU didn't report to CarFax all your work to the car." To which they'll say, "true, but scratches are gone, and so are the rock chips and dent removals. What's the problem here? You've got a great car, at a great price, it rides well....but, look, you obviously have a problem here, and since we want to remain friends, what can we do for you to make you feel warm and fuzzy about this?"

I guess it's that last part of the question that I'm thinking through. I don't know enough about any latent damage such excessive roughshod treatment of a car for its initial 20K mile can cause to fall outside my CPO protection in next few years, and also deter me from buying the car at the residual price at the end of the lease (we are 7,500 mile a year drivers)

But without appearing ultra-sensitive, I realize there are risks in leasing or buying a used car, but I know Lexus (and BMW) is leasing used cars at low money rates in order to open a new avenue of customers, and to keep customers coming in every 3 years for a new car.... so, they want to remain friends, as do I......and I do want to be ready for the ultimate question a dealer in good faith might ask---what can we do for you?---and any thoughts here are welcome. MANY THANKS!
Old 08-14-15, 07:24 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Brake pads being replaced early may be related to traffic it had to endure in NYC. Tires could be damaged by potholes. NJ cars do see lots of abuse, hence why all retailers have to recondition them when they buy them off. Consider it a part of dealer-prep process. They're not obligated to report this to CarFax. However, since you were able to pull this info from LexusDrivers' site, CarFax simply didn't pick it up.

Being a Toyota, as long as it wasn't involved in a collision, it will serve just fine for the term of the lease.
Is there anything that you are not happy with, other than its records?

I've hard dealers offering free oil changes and service to make customers happy. Free carwashes?
Would that make you feel better?
Old 08-14-15, 07:33 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I am not sure why you feel that dealer owes you anything. It is 3 years old car.
Old 08-14-15, 08:33 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

consumable wear and tear items like tires, rotors and pads are typically not reported to carfax.

Dealers usually take care of those items if they are below spec and/or take into consideration some items and reflect that in the suggested price.
Old 08-14-15, 05:27 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also don't understand the problem. You are mad they repaired scratches and rock chips, would you rather they left them?? This is the exact same car it was that you liked enough to buy before you knew this information, not sure how knowing they replaced brakes and tires changes anything. You said you are 7,500 a year drivers on a three year lease. I highly doubt you are going to have any problems in next three years when your lease is up and the car has 45,000 miles.
Old 08-15-15, 07:53 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you go about getting this report??

Originally Posted by drivemycar
I guess many Club Lexus members know that Lexus is encouraging leasing of its used cars with low miles, and offering through Toyota Financial very low money rates, to open a "new vein" of customer base. Next week I've got a follow up appointment at the Lexus dealer at which I leased a 2012 RX 350 with 21K miles on it, CPO, for a lease payment in mid 300s with no money down. This RX 350 was bought by them at auction about 70 days before I leased. The CarFax was pretty clean, and as I say, it had CPO protection. But a few days after I signed the lease, I saw (thanks to reading Club Lexus) that many recommend reading the LexusCarDrivers report, and so I did, after the fact, and wow, what differences between it and the CarFax report. Turns out my car was driven excessively hard by the prior owner in Brooklyn and parts of New Jersey (navi settings revealed that), Its brake pads had to be replaced at only 17K miles. Its tires were replaced at 10K. Current dealer, after buying the car at auction, had to repair "deep scratches and repair rock chips." None of these events were reported on CarFax.

So, the car runs fine, and is a clean car with low mileage. No harm, no foul, you may say. It's got the CPO protection. My dealer is probably gonig to say: " CarFax misses alot of stuff." But I'll say: "hey, even YOU didn't report to CarFax all your work to the car." To which they'll say, "true, but scratches are gone, and so are the rock chips and dent removals. What's the problem here? You've got a great car, at a great price, it rides well....but, look, you obviously have a problem here, and since we want to remain friends, what can we do for you to make you feel warm and fuzzy about this?"

I guess it's that last part of the question that I'm thinking through. I don't know enough about any latent damage such excessive roughshod treatment of a car for its initial 20K mile can cause to fall outside my CPO protection in next few years, and also deter me from buying the car at the residual price at the end of the lease (we are 7,500 mile a year drivers)

But without appearing ultra-sensitive, I realize there are risks in leasing or buying a used car, but I know Lexus (and BMW) is leasing used cars at low money rates in order to open a new avenue of customers, and to keep customers coming in every 3 years for a new car.... so, they want to remain friends, as do I......and I do want to be ready for the ultimate question a dealer in good faith might ask---what can we do for you?---and any thoughts here are welcome. MANY THANKS!
Very nice writeup and your concerns are definitely legitimate!! In many ways CARFAX is nothing but GARBAGE!!

Could you please tell me where and how to get this LexusCarDrivers report?? Thanks!! I currently own a 2000 LS 400 that is approaching 170K miles now. But it is still in PRISTINE condition!!

I was about to buy a 2010 RX 350 from a "shady-ish" dealer here in Southern California and CARFAX missed bad FRAME DAMAGE to the vehicle. Luckily I used AUTOCHECK as well and they caught it.

When I questioned the "independent" dealer about why the vehicle was "Lexus Certified" and then just TWO MONTHS later why was it sold at an auction, he was trying to tell me that someone had leased it ...yeah, right! "Reading between the lines" I was highly suspicious. Turned out the deal was indeed "too good to be true"!
Old 08-15-15, 09:24 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,307 Likes on 1,009 Posts

lexusdrivers.com for vin specific Lexus dealer services to a car.