RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why did you buy the RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 12:01 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why did you buy the RX?

I'm curious why did you guys buy your RX, what were the top 5 reasons in the order of importance.

Value. You got a good bang for your buck, in absolute terms and also compared to competitors.
Refinement. You appreciate the comfort, quality, fit and finish.
Reliability. You liked the standard warranty and the way Lexus keeps winning top spots for the most reliable cars.
Technology. You were excited by the RX's tech gizmos.
Performance. You were excited by the acceleration and the dynamics.

I'll go first:
1. Value
2. Refinement
3. Reliability
4. Technology
5. Performance
Old 07-11-15, 01:33 PM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We moved to Cleveland which has TERRIBLE roads and needed something that was more comfortable than our BMW which was pretty harsh on the roads and potholes here. My wife wanted an SUV and the Lexus was the most comfortable. Couldn't justify the extra 15k for an X5 and the reliability was a plus as well.
Old 07-11-15, 05:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'll give it a shot.

1. Interior size - perfect for our family
2. Lexus reliability
3. Wife felt comfortable driving it
4. Excellent dealer experience
5. Refinement
Old 07-11-15, 08:46 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We started with our RX's in July 2009, the month I retired. We planned to travel extensively several months at a time, which we still are, so needed lots of cargo space for luggage etc. We use virtually all the 80 cubic feet of cargo space with the seats folded down. Only place our dog would fit is between the seats, thus was #1 on our list before considering everything else. The rest of our list has exceeded expectations and couldn't be happier. Dog still very happy with the ride.

1. Dog carrier fits and fastens between front seats.
2. Hybrid technology for us.
3. Lexus RX quality reputation.
4. Lexus RX reliability and safety.
5. Comfort and luxury.

Why did you buy the RX?-p1010098.jpg
Old 07-12-15, 05:33 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

1. Reliability, we put 220,000 on the '02 and our daughter drives it today.
2. Refinement, my wife worked hard and needed to be spoiled in retirement.

5. Value, please the car cost twice as much as our first house.
5. Technology, more stuff to break. There is a reason you find a plastic cover when you raise the hood.
5. Performance, it weighs two tons and has a six cylinder.
Old 07-12-15, 05:46 AM
gistsr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus' reputation for excellence.
I wanted only the best for my dream car
It was at the top of my bucket list
I just look at it and it makes me happy!

Last edited by gistsr; 07-13-15 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-12-15, 05:56 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For my Lexi:
1. Reliability
2. Service
3. Luxury
4. Performance
5. Technology
Those aren't however, what I consider my perfect car would have, but realistically, my answer varies based on the specific needs I have for a vehicle, then how a particular mfgr appears IMHO to step up to that plate. More info on my views are located on my personal website on the "What's Important" tab of THIS PAGE.

Last edited by BertL; 07-12-15 at 10:34 AM. Reason: English. I should be paying more attention to autocorrection!
Old 07-12-15, 10:52 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Got the RX450h F-Sport back in 2012 when it first launched. Been an RX customer for nearly 11 years now as I had a 2nd Gen RX which I bought new in 2004.

My order is:

1. Value (spec for spec, cheaper than all competitors and I got a good deal)
2. Refinement (RXh is super quiet - love it!)
3. Technology (HUD, ML, hybrid drivetrain etc etc)
4. Performance (pretty quick for a 2 tonne SUV. The figures are misleading as the mid-range acceleration is very good)
5. Reliability (was pretty much a given for the RX)
Old 07-13-15, 06:33 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

We initially bought an RX for the value, and because we loved the quality of the interior. I think Lexus has nailed the "passenger experience". They also do an exceptional job of keeping the purpose of a specific model in mind as they design and refine it. As we gained experience with our RXs, we found more and more to like about them. My top 5 likes are:

1. Value
2. Refinement
3. Performance
4. Size
5. Reliability

I would also add service, but that's a dealership and/or Lexus attribute as opposed to an RX attribute.
Old 07-13-15, 07:28 AM
kjwbmw
Driver School Candidate

1. driver cup holder keeps ice cold next to vent
2. storage area under console
3. most cargo area in class
4. high resale/trade value
5.only car with moveable and reclining rear seat
Old 07-13-15, 08:17 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been with Lexus since 2004 I think (bought a used 2002 RX and it was a MAJOR purchase for us).
The reason we did it:
We would drive by one and go "what SUV is that?"
But in the end:
1. Reputation for Reliability
2. Resale Value
3. Luxury
4. Salesman
5. Status

After the purchase:
Loved how quiet it was. Loved the soft ride. Yes, many people don't like the "boat" feeling, but I loved how smooth it was. It's not a driver's car, but it wasn't intended to be.

Our Lexus salesman was the ONLY salesman I've dealt with who didn't care how we looked, didn't care that we were waffling, didn't try to push us for the sale, didn't feed us lies to try and sell (like "i've got someone else coming to look at this" BS).
He would just hand us the keys to go take another test drive. Told us to pick whatever car we wanted out there and take it for however long we wanted.
It was the best experience. Too bad he's retired, but our new salesman is just as great.

Last edited by Mors; 07-13-15 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added comments for "after the purchase"
Old 07-13-15, 09:24 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

We bought ours because it looks like a rocket ship. In other words, we liked the color and the style. We've since learned of the build quality, value, low upkeep and dealer support.
The other side of the coin is that we would not buy one based on the commercials on TV. Macho guy running away from a plumbing leak? What are they thinking?
Ray A.
Old 07-13-15, 10:37 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Given the OPs list:

1. Refinement - comfort
2. Reliability
3. Technology - a bit disappointed in retrospect
4. Performance
5. Value

My wife has only to sit in the driver's seat for a few seconds to know if a car is going to work for her. The Lexus RX is comfortable for both of us and very easy to drive on long trips.

Lexus and RX reliability were very important to us.

We replaced a 2002 Highlander and the 2014 RX350 was a technology upgrade. In reading and reviewing technology in other vehicles there are features that were only available in a factory ordered RX or not available at all in the RX. The technology area of cars is moving very fast but it seems Lexus is lagging. This is an area I am interested in and something I will look more closely at for our next purchase.

I like being able to pull into opposing traffic to pass and feeling confident the RX will get around the low moving car or truck. I also like the way iRX handles and how easy it is to drive on long trips.

I guess if you roll all the above up we felt the RX was a good value as we made the purchase. We certainly felt the BMW and Volvo were not as good a value.
Old 07-14-15, 02:57 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
We initially bought an RX for the value, and because we loved the quality of the interior. I think Lexus has nailed the "passenger experience". They also do an exceptional job of keeping the purpose of a specific model in mind as they design and refine it. As we gained experience with our RXs, we found more and more to like about them. My top 5 likes are:

1. Value
2. Refinement
3. Performance
4. Size
5. Reliability

I would also add service, but that's a dealership and/or Lexus attribute as opposed to an RX attribute.
I'm on my fourth RX, same line up as yours!
Old 07-14-15, 04:18 AM
Bucky44
Driver School Candidate

Reliability!!!

Quick Reply: Why did you buy the RX?