RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cigarette Burn Passenger-side armrest (Lt Grey) 2010 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-14, 11:08 AM
Namjock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cigarette Burn Passenger-side armrest (Lt Grey) 2010 RX350

Evil passenger touched cigarette immediately behind and left of wood-like trim on top of padded armrest (2010 RX350). I have attached a photo. My mechanic friend says he thinks it's a separate part not requiring the entire assembly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've looked at several parts sites, but the illustrations don't single-out the padded top. Any help with a part No would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Cigarette Burn Passenger-side armrest (Lt Grey) 2010 RX350-armrest.jpg  

Last edited by Namjock; 10-01-14 at 11:11 AM. Reason: update subject
Old 10-01-14, 11:39 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

looking at sewell i cant seem to find much...i hate to say it but you may have to get the entire door panel

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...X350-2010.html

maybe someone can chime in...me and parts these days are

hope you get it fixed
Old 10-01-14, 11:46 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Evil passenger needs to buy you a new door panel.

But, there are guys out there that can repair damage like that. Some are very good and can get a near perfect match to the color. Your local dealer may be able to help in that department. If not, check with reputable local body shops. I worked at a Ford/Toyota dealership for 18 years and we had a guy that did vinyl repair that was great. If the armrest is leather, doubtful it can be repaired.
Old 10-01-14, 07:12 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Expensive habit. Seriously, evil passenger's car insurance may pay for it.
Old 10-01-14, 07:37 PM
felix168
Rookie

Originally Posted by Namjock
Evil passenger touched cigarette immediately behind and left of wood-like trim on top of padded armrest (2010 RX350). I have attached a photo. My mechanic friend says he thinks it's a separate part not requiring the entire assembly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I've looked at several parts sites, but the illustrations don't single-out the padded top. Any help with a part No would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

and the part that you're looking for... try ebay I guess...

Last edited by felix168; 10-01-14 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-02-14, 06:17 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Try eBay as it often has plenty of used parts.

If a do it yourself person. Leatherrenew dot com has great leather repair and re-dye kits. I got tar on my driver front seat and destroyed part of the finish removing it. I have a Parchment leather interior. Got their repair kit (it was cheaper than the dye kit because it had less dye). Followed instructions and the color matched perfectly. I painted it on with the little foam brush they provided and also did the cracked side bolsters. Now all looks new again. I plan to do the cracked passenger side bolsters next. http://www.leatherrenew.com/aboutus.php

I was quoted $250 from a local car upholstery shop. The kit was under $40.

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-02-14 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-02-14, 11:33 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to see this, hopefully you'll get it fixed to your liking..
Old 10-03-14, 09:34 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Richard, 1st welcome to the forum. Hopefully it's a place you can find the answers to most questions or just have social discussions about your car with like owners.

I'm not positive this will bring closure to your evil passenger event but try some auto trim business's. You might get lucky and find one with the skills for patching and dye matching that can make the event a distant memory for minimal cost.

Good luck and let us know how you overcome it.
Old 10-03-14, 11:43 AM
Namjock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all - I feel very welcomed. Thanks, Jim for the introduction. I'm just coming over from the Magnum forum. I bought the RX certified 15 months ago (17,000 on the odo - only 25 now) and joined this forum shortly afterwards. The car is so well made, I haven't needed any help until now.

The YouTube post was helpful but discouraging. Before investing in an entire panel I will try a local trim/body shop, then perhaps the kit.

But don't let that stop anyone from posting any new ideas or fixes - I appreciate them all. Oh, BTW evil-doer doesn't have insurance and we're not really on speaking terms since I told him how that slip ticked me off (in slightly more colorful language).

Rick
Old 10-03-14, 01:46 PM
jwrichter
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Forget the replacement.........I had a high end boat, 300k and the seats got cigarette holes that I had fixed, you wouldn't know there was a burn mark. Check around for these mobile guys that repair leather and vinyl, they do a remarkable job and are usually reasonable. If you can't find a good one contact your local Mercedes or Lexus dealers and find out who they use.
Old 10-03-14, 03:57 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Dispair not. In addition to car repair people, you may want to visit a used furniture store or Google vinyl / leather repair and there may be a resource there for you.
Good luck.
Old 10-03-14, 06:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I've had a similar tear on my rear door armrest when I bought my pre-owned 2RXh. The Toyota dealer fixed it before delivery with some vinyl repair kit and looked 99% as good as new.

I bought a similar repair kit for a leather sofa tear and used it successfully. If you're a DIY-er , give it a shot for 10-15$, if not I would expect this to be a 150-200$ vinyl repair job at a reputable car or furniture repair shop as the others above have commented. It will be as good as new.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-14, 08:44 PM
Ron57
Driver School Candidate

Try this company:
http://www.fibrenew.com/
Old 03-09-16, 01:26 PM
AxleBrick
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron57
Try this company:
http://www.fibrenew.com/
This is the company I was trying to remember.
The cost is like using Dent Dr. for a door ding in lieu of a body shop.
Old 03-10-16, 05:57 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I bought my car with a puncture wound and slice in the back seat. As part of the negotiations, I had the dealer fix the hole. These types of things are usually enough to make me walk, but the car was pristine otherwise and had not been detailed yet. Anyway, I waited a month for the "pro" to fix it and to my surprise it looked like a 5 year old had made the repairs. I've never been so ticked at a "pro" and for the first time, kicking myself for ever making a move on the car. The repair spots were glowing and the color was far from matching. The back seats were ruined plain and simple. The holes were still small, but the idiot spray painted 25% of each side if the seat with a dull gray, so I not had to fix at least that much. A light dabbing of color with a foam brush in the impacted areas would have more than done the trick, but that wasn't good enough for this guy.

Long story short, I didn't want the "pro" to fix it, nor did I want any dealer promises or delays. I read good things on this forum about leather renew and gave it a shot. It took me several hours to undo the "pro" repair with paint thinner, alcohol and sandpaper! Yeah you read that right and yes, it did remove some of the parchment color, but I was in a lose lose situation, so I was braver than normal. I followed the instructions to a fault and took my time. The end result is amazing. The color in the kit was spot on and you can't tell where I repaired at all....well, sort of. The holes in the vented seats are now colored instead of the natural leather, but a couple of good cleanings and they will fill in darker like the rest an you won't see a thing. I could probably clean them up a bit with a small drill, but I'll leave it alone while ahead. My wife and friends didn't notice the spots and looked in the wrong places when I showed them, so I'm real happy with the repair. So much so, I plan to get another bottle of parchment and freshen up the front bolsters at some point, and another bottle of black for the worn bolsters in my Bimmer. The stuff is amazing. Definitely give it a shot first, before replacing the door panel.