RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Nitrogen Filled Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 01:59 PM
Insanerb25
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrogen Filled Tires the truth

There is some good info here and wrong info;
http://bvmotorsports.com/home/learn/...-filled-tires/

There should be no questions after u watch that.
Thanks

Last edited by Insanerb25; 05-28-16 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 04:34 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

So - over time, the oxygen molecules permeate and escape and are replaced (when I top off) with more nitrogen biased air - and over time, the tires are mostly nitrogen-filled simply due to the oxygen leaking out first.

Or - simply air up when in Arizona or back East during the winter (when humidity is low).

Old 03-30-16, 10:08 PM
Insanerb25
Driver School Candidate

Just use nitro IMO, its not much of an advantage but it is. I know he kinda teaches a lot in a short amount of time haha
Old 03-31-16, 09:34 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

My $0.02

Nitrogen is a gas and like all gasses is affected by changes in temperature (around one psi for every 10° F). Nitrogen offers some other advantages but is still a gas and is still affected by the laws of physics.

So what is TireRack’s conclusion on nitrogen vs. air?

“Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly.”
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sp?techid=191&

Yes, there are advantages to the use of 93-97% nitrogen vs. 78% nitrogen, but unless you have easy and inexpensive access to nitrogen you will likely be faced with adjusting your tires pressure with your compressor or a local service station using regular air. That's ok, since most of us are drivers and not collectors and we will not see many advantages anyway. For most of us, its better to adjust tire pressure with air than drive on low pressure while searching out a nitrogen source.

If you are reading this, I hope you are not one that only checks your tire pressure if the dash light comes on. With the longer maintenance intervals on newer vehicles you really should not rely on going to the dealer every 6-12 months to have the tire pressures checked and set. I'd recommend checking and adjusting your tire pressure every month, first thing in the morning when the tire is cool. This is especially important for those that experience large seasonal temperature changes. Don't worry about the nitrogen level in the tire. You will have a safer and better handling car and longer tire life if you do this.

Be aware that cheap tire gauges are notoriously inaccurate. I've found that most pencil gauges to be several pounds off. I'd suggest buying a high quality gauge, either analog or digital. Take it to a tire shop and ask them to check its accuracy. Better shops have a calibrated gauge and will do this for free or for a small charge. Tire gauges are mechanical and get old. They need rechecking/replacing periodically. I have around 8 different gauges in my garage, 5 are ready for the dumpster. Keep in mind that most tire gauges are made in China and may or may not be accurate out of the box. My cheapest accurate model is an Accutire MS-4021B which I paid around $12 for and I keep in the vehicle. My favorite is Joe's Racing 32307 which was around $25. This one is rugged and spot on accurate. It is also much easier to use and has a button for bleeding air.
Old 04-09-16, 05:04 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gas station QT, offers free air for your tires. Also, Discount Tire offers free pressure checks (in which they will put free air in your tire if needed), AND they repair flats for free as well as change the valve stem when they do it. This place even gives you a free tire rotation! There is no catch I go with my wifes car and mine all the time!
Old 04-09-16, 02:32 PM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Free top up at Costco.
Old 06-10-18, 01:55 PM
johnt3
5th Gear

Default Nitrigen vs air

i have to replace my tires on my '15 RX AWD. The tires have Nitrigen in them now, and the person I bought the car from only used the dealer for his service. When I checked with the dealer in my town, they do not offer Nitrigen. I guess it does not matter with me, but I was wondering what other RX owners were doing? Thanks
Old 06-10-18, 10:17 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Just keep in mind, no one evacuates air and then fill up exclusively with nitrogen [not possible t evacuate air out of tires by construction]. So the only mostly nitrogen is used to pressurize the tire.

Sure it is better to use nitrogen to fill up, but more important is maintaining the right pressure. See jfelbab's post #34

Salim
Old 06-11-18, 05:24 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the pretty green valve caps.
Old 06-11-18, 10:41 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The big benefit of nitrogen is that you can tell your friends you use nitrogen.

In any event these days I think there is even less need to manually check pressure frequently with a gauge since we have TPMS. The proper procedure is to fill to the recommended cold pressure, then reset the TPMS to that pressure. From that point on the TPMS light must come on if pressure drops 25% or more in one tire, though some folks say it typically comes on at 15%. So in my 2010 RX the dealer fills to 32psi and resets the TPMS. If a tire drops to roughly 26psi then the light may come on.

Running the tires at 26psi will increase fuel consumption, increase edge tread wear, and will increase the chance of tire failure. You can monitor the pressures on the dash panel.

Also, some tire companies have suggested that tires will naturally lose roughly 1psi per month due to natural permeability.

Last edited by riredale; 06-11-18 at 11:46 AM.